What was the first computer you owned?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

deastman wrote:
Wow! I haven't seen one of these since Junior High School in 1984. I was a nerd who stayed inside playing on one instead of going to recess. :oops:

My first PC was an IBM PS/2 model 25 with a 20 meg HD. I remember paying (financing rather) an extra $500 to push it from 1/2 meg of RAM to a full 1 meg of RAM. :o

I actually sold it while in the Army and bought a Commodore Amiga, then later an Atari ST....which I used Dr. T's sequencing software with it. Sweet memories. 8)

Schneider CPC 6128 back in 1985 (outside Germany sold as Amstrad CPC 6128).

Funny thing is that the built-in 3" floppy disk drive was smaller than most of the later 3,5 " drives.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

i remember that PET from back in elementary school. 5th grade. We did LOGO on it.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Nice too see so many Speccy folks. I started there too, had Timex 2048 ZX Spectrum clone connected to green-monochromatic monitor...

Later my first PC was 486DX2 with DOS and Win 3.1.

Texas Instruments TI-99 4A
John
"B4serenity"

Commodore 64 was my first one. Then Amiga 500 and after that PCs.
Truly mind-boggling music! - New album out! - And a blog!

Another Spectrum 48k here (in, what, '83 !?)
Years later Amiga 500

Atari 400 - with a membrane keyboard - LOL

First was an Apple IIe around 84 it had non apple floppies and monitor. manged to get cakewalk to run on it, but was too young, inpatient and stupid to really make any thing of it.
Next was some off brand laptop around 91 that I used for school. Then a Dell desktop around 97, an Inspirion laptop in 02. tried to do midi with cakewalk on it but crashed all the time using on board audio. My apartment was robbed around 06 and I lost the laptop and my trinity, bought an Acer combo lap tab that died around 08. Went through a couple custom builds until I figured out that I could roll my own. These days it's an Asus G51Jx-A1 laptop and a couple racks. One with a PQ5e and a Q6600 and The other with a Maximus Extreme and a QX9770, yea it's been awhile.

Commodore 64 breadbin was my first, followed by a 64c after that. Then I upgraded to an Amiga 500 for tracking, and a 1040stfm for MIDI

I had worked on PC's before this, and seen Commodore 64's owned by friends, but the first one I owned was an Apple Macintosh SE.

It was pretty buggy up until version 6.0.5 which was stable. Then (other) Macs got instable again as the versions went up to 7,8,9, and X.

I had a lot of fun with HyperCard scripting and a bootleg copy of SoundEdit 1.0 I had.
Download & play soothing music: https://soundcloud.com/wait_codec

CBM 64 to 2 x Atari ST's to Win 3.11 through to Win 8.1

Intel Core i7 8700K, 16gb, Windows 10 Pro, Focusrite Scarlet 6i6

Sinclair ZX81 which I built from a kit in 1981.
I still have it and last time I checked - it worked.

One of my greatest days back then, was when I bought the 16KB RAM cartridge, along with the chess cassette which hardly worked. Also remember confiscating the TV set from my parents, who eventually had to buy a new colored one...
Last edited by everyPlugin.com on Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Atari 400 w/Cassette drive.
"Everything we hear is an opinion,not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective,not the truth." _ Marcus Aurelius

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”