Looking for an ethnic - world library

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The Kontakt factory 'World' folder has some good things in it. Roughly on a par with the things from RA. I found the shenai has a real useful legato. There aren't all these tunings provided but the thing is you can use Kontakt's script editor and make the tunings, which for me is vastly better than guessing what the actual thing is going to be and dicking around.

See, Play is totally proprietary, Kontakt is open to third party creativity. I'm making an equivalance in real general terms, but the factory things won't replace RA completely. World - I'm talking Kontakt 4 - is one of the better areas in the factory library.

KarmaShaman wrote: Lars, your packs are amazing. Been listening to the demo's. Are they entire loops, or samples that can be triggered as a single note? I'm not really into using loops (unless it's drums)
All our ethnic libraries are multisampled, single notes for your own playing. No phrases and loops.

Lars

jancivil wrote:The Kontakt factory 'World' folder has some good things in it. Roughly on a par with the things from RA. I found the shenai has a real useful legato. There aren't all these tunings provided but the thing is you can use Kontakt's script editor and make the tunings, which for me is vastly better than guessing what the actual thing is going to be and dicking around.

See, Play is totally proprietary, Kontakt is open to third party creativity. I'm making an equivalance in real general terms, but the factory things won't replace RA completely. World - I'm talking Kontakt 4 - is one of the better areas in the factory library.
Absolutely true! The World and the Orchestral are the only two factory folders left on my drive, all the others been long trashed.

There's some good links to more ethnic sounds over on this thread too:

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=398227

The Kontakt libraries that come with K9U are not my favorites, in fact, I find quite a few of them useless for me. IMO, Kontakt shines in third party design.

The NI sets I do like are 'Cuba', 'West Africa', 'Balinese Gamelan', (and most of the drum/percussion sets). I have a couple of Lars' Instruments too that I feel are exceptional and plan on getting a couple more hopefully during this sale. Ilya's duduk is high on my get list too.

It's DAY 1 in the Zero-G Download Shop Xmas Offer Extravaganza!
12 OFFERS FOR CHRISTMAS

MASSIVE SAVINGS on world/ethnic category titles TODAY ONLY
50% OFF WORLD / ETHNIC TITLES

SAVE an Extra 20% (so you will get an ENORMOUS 50% DISCOUNT off the normal prices of world/ethnic titles, instead of just 30%) when you use the coupon code "WORLD" at the checkout.

But hurry - this HALF PRICE deal ENDS AT MIDNIGHT TONIGHT (Saturday 14 Dec)

http://www.zero-g.co.uk/store/world-ethnic-c30.php
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

So is Kontakt a stand-alone DAW, or more like a VST-type device that you can keep upgrading with sample packs? I think Kontakt is going to be what I need for the kind of music I wish to make, but as I'm a Reason user (so no VST capabilities), there's very few options available for Eastern instruments.

precisionsound wrote:We have a lot of stuff on our site and it's the right time to do purchases from Precisionsound now when its 50% off on everything!

www.precisionsound.net

Lars
Just adding a +1 to this. Precisionsound has some incredible libraries. The Santoor and Surmandal are excellent.

I picked up the new Mbira last night and I love it. It's only $10 (!!!) during the sale.

I also picked up the Mighty U90 organ. Lots of retro goodness there.

Lars, the new website is really easy to use and your libraries are much easier to download/unzip and use than before. Thanks for the improvements!

jsp1979 wrote:
precisionsound wrote:We have a lot of stuff on our site and it's the right time to do purchases from Precisionsound now when its 50% off on everything!

www.precisionsound.net

Lars
Just adding a +1 to this. Precisionsound has some incredible libraries. The Santoor and Surmandal are excellent.

I picked up the new Mbira last night and I love it. It's only $10 (!!!) during the sale.

I also picked up the Mighty U90 organ. Lots of retro goodness there.

Lars, the new website is really easy to use and your libraries are much easier to download/unzip and use than before. Thanks for the improvements!
You are welcome! :-)

Lars

The World Music section over at Sampleism contains 142 products, you may find some hidden gems in there.

http://www.sampleism.com/genre/world-music

(My 'African Instruments' and 'Flutes Bundle' for Kontakt are in there, both currently on sale with 25% off).
BUDGET KONTAKT INSTRUMENTS
https://www.lootaudio.com/category/kont ... /tdsamples
Ethnic instruments, sultry speech, scrap percussion, toys, etc.

I have RA and I use it. However, for the money, I would seriously say get a fantastic discount for it as they really cheap out on too much of it.
A lot of it sounds fantastic, and your usual suspects in terms of the popular things you'll tend to hear in pictures are not bad in terms of articulating it.
However some of it is seriously deficient.

As to avoiding them because of the PLAY engine, I believe they have fixed most of the early issues for most scenarios. It can load terrifically slow compared to Kontakt or VSL, though. I don't have issues using RA at all today.

There are a number of other options: Ilya Efimov's Armenian Duduk... Impact Soundworks has a good-looking Oud... Neocymatics Strings is built for Arabic type intonations...

KarmaShaman wrote:I'm a huge fan of world music, especially middle-eastern/arabic stuff,
on that ground i would highly recommend the sonokinetic (and the volko) stuffs

...for these companies i'd claim that western music is not far to be an "ethnic" classified one, i'm afraid...

:P

Krakatau wrote:
KarmaShaman wrote:I'm a huge fan of world music, especially middle-eastern/arabic stuff,

...for these companies i'd claim that western music is not far to be an "ethnic" classified one, i'm afraid...

I did this Middle Eastern track for a TV show many years ago using mostly ethnic stuff from East West. The track is #11 Highway to Baghdad- http://www.seandockery.com/home.php

quantum7 wrote:
Krakatau wrote:

I did this Middle Eastern track for a TV show many years ago using mostly ethnic stuff from East West. The track is #11 Highway to Baghdad- http://www.seandockery.com/home.php
let say it is quite a philosophical for me, it will make real difference once some non-western culture composers might rule the music market at some degree

:)

"ethnic" don't mean much thing except that it describes samples or virtual instruments that are from foreign culture in regard to the western one themselves can either be from similar or totally different culture that means virtually that they are all "ethnic" one to the others

:tu:

no offense to your work in any ways, you'll probably agree that it would be a huge bargain to modern musics if other cultures would emerge in the music industry (if, of course , the market would allow it)

Whatever happened to Yellowtools Culture? That looked interesting but I couldn't afford it when it came out, now I can but its gone awol.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”