One Synth Challenge #73 special: Synthmaster (Jasinski wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

If presets come in every day, then it'll be fun to create a bank in time. But I like the effort and the developer support.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

I think there's been a rush to get a bank of sufficient percussion done so people with the player are able to compete on a more fair level.

z.prime wrote:I think there's been a rush to get a bank of sufficient percussion done so people with the player are able to compete on a more fair level.
That's because this community rocks. :party:

We're up to 59 presets now, which I've consolidated into a single bank. I'm going to see if I can design some more today, I'm still new to sound design but it would be cool if I can figure out how to do some toms/wood block/cowbell type sounds. If you know of any good resources for learning how to design percussion sounds from scratch, feel free to share.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/38llb ... dn/OSC.zip
~ good luck ~
~ re~member to do good in a spirit of love, unity, compassion, and kindness ~

SoundGoddess wrote:We're up to 59 presets now, which I've consolidated into a single bank. I'm going to see if I can design some more today, I'm still new to sound design but it would be cool if I can figure out how to do some toms/wood block/cowbell type sounds. If you know of any good resources for learning how to design percussion sounds from scratch, feel free to share.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/38llb ... dn/OSC.zip
For roto toms you want a lot of pitch modulation. They're not tough. If I have some time today I'll try to crank out a bank of roto toms.

Though, to clarify: for most toms you actually want very little pitch modulation with a slow decay.

You can actually get pretty close by tweaking some of the macro parameters on the kick drum preset I provided.

z.prime wrote:Though, to clarify: for most toms you actually want very little pitch modulation with a slow decay.
Yes. Roto toms are a different animal. They've always been my favorite. I remember when I bought a set for my drum kit back in the 80s. Good times.

Actually, toms in general aren't much different from programming kicks. Just a longer decay and tuned up a bit and a slight bit of pitch mod. Adjust to taste.

Toms can get very creative and the best part is one patch can be used for the whole set of toms.

Hello everybody!

Here is my presets. I've done these some years ago.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ibj8lt2ox5a7w ... o.zip?dl=0

Hope someone found something useful :)

Cheers
JK Flashico

A couple of the patches look like they may contain sampled sounds, like the troll synth drums and hohfner clavinet bass, so I may need to exclude those from the OSC bank...can anyone verify this for me?
~ good luck ~
~ re~member to do good in a spirit of love, unity, compassion, and kindness ~

sfiks wrote:
mehum wrote:Using just the free player I have managed to make something resembling drums. I'm not sure if it's possible to save them as standard VST patches from Reaper and load them into other VST hosts. Since they're made by layering a bunch of different patches it might be hard to recreate just from single patches anyway.
I could however share a Reaper project featuring them if anyone's interested.
You could save them as a Reaper track template. :hyper:
That's how I transferred my "easy edited" patches from MAC to Windows.
That would kinda work, but since you need to know which note to play and sometimes timing and note length I think it would need to be a project...

So, here it is for you Reaper users with the free player.
Version 4.77
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9x56pm7jjyjw7 ... s.RPP?dl=0

They might not sound particularly good and will be a hassle to program. As it seems we'll be getting real patches anyway they're probably useless :) But they're here if you want them!

(I used a tom patch but that doesn't seem to be a sample. Please correct me if I'm wrong!)

Hm, is there a simple way to take incoming midi from one track and have it play a specific note on other tracks...?

A few quick tips for making toms:

Set the Osc to a sine wave and set the number of voices to 4-8.
Then slightly detune.
Screen Shot 2015-03-05 at 7.50.25 AM.png

Set the amp decay to a medium long tail with an equal length release.
Screen Shot 2015-03-05 at 7.51.27 AM.png
I find that bit of pitch modulation from a 2nd envelop, set to a very shot decay, adds realism as shown here:
Screen Shot 2015-03-05 at 7.57.14 AM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

wagtunes wrote:
z.prime wrote:I think there's been a rush to get a bank of sufficient percussion done so people with the player are able to compete on a more fair level.
Yep. The essence of OSC and why I`m addicted to join :lol:

@jasinski:
Wow, thanks a lot :hug: You can continue with that :D :lol:

To all who are making patches for our OSC bank:
Please add metadata to your presets, otherwise Soundgoddess has to do it and I think she does already enough for us :wink:
Before you save the preset click on the preset tab and add:
Author: Your user name
Bank: OSC #73
then please mark Instrument type, Attributes and Music Style. After this is done just save the preset. The metadata will be added to the preset then and Soundgoddess just needs to put it all together then.

I have downloaded the updated bank and listened the presets already. Wow that`s just great!!!

Yep, we could need toms. I will try Jasinski`s recipe later. Seems that we still have got time to add more presets and honestly: That`s really great fun programming with Synthmaster :D

Cheers
Yvonne
Simplicity without a name, is free from all external aim. With no desire, at rest and still,
all things go right as of their will.
Daodejing verse 37

Mojo42 wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
Yep. The essence of OSC and why I`m addicted to join :lol:

@jasinski:
Wow, thanks a lot :hug: You can continue with that :D :lol:

To all who are making patches for our OSC bank:
Please add metadata to your presets, otherwise Soundgoddess has to do it and I think she does already enough for us :wink:
Before you save the preset click on the preset tab and add:
Author: Your user name
Bank: OSC #73
then please mark Instrument type, Attributes and Music Style. After this is done just save the preset. The metadata will be added to the preset then and Soundgoddess just needs to put it all together then.

I have downloaded the updated bank and listened the presets already. Wow that`s just great!!!

Yep, we could need toms. I will try Jasinski`s recipe later. Seems that we still have got time to add more presets and honestly: That`s really great fun programming with Synthmaster :D

Cheers
Yvonne
This would have been great info to have before I actually made the banks. LOL.

Oh well, I guess I can go back and relabel the ones I haven't sent yet.

JKF Flashico wrote:Hello everybody!

Here is my presets. I've done these some years ago.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ibj8lt2ox5a7w ... o.zip?dl=0

Hope someone found something useful :)

Cheers
JK Flashico
What the... :o Wow that are a lot. Yep of course we can need them :D
Tons of drum patches and other intresting stuff :D

I hope you agree that we may put it to our OSC bank, please confirm. If "yes" I suppose that I will have to help Soundgoddess to format the presets because for this job one needs a team :lol:
Simplicity without a name, is free from all external aim. With no desire, at rest and still,
all things go right as of their will.
Daodejing verse 37

OK. 18 drum sounds including 3 kicks, 5 snares, a couple high hats, a crash, 3 toms, stick, and tambourine.
AJ Jaski Percussion Bank- SM.zip
I set up easy controls for some of them.

They should be named with the OSC bank too.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Instruments”