Camel Audio ceasing sales? [Update: CA acquired by Apple]

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic

:D Image

Ameyah Audio wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote:Some Alchemy Nostalgia which I improvised yesterday live on video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Js7U4ePoxQw
good stuff, i always forgot how good the black skin looks.
what happends with your alchemy soundsets? will they become freeware or what?
incredible work on them, still a bit sad about Alchemy 2 will not gonna happen. :(
Thank you!
Yep, I was sad for weeks too, now it's more a feeling of nostalgia and when improvising with it yesterday I was filled with joy and a feeling of farewell :)

Nah, no freeware, I will recycle a bigger portion of the samples for other hybrid instruments (like 17+ Gigabytes), do a final sale very soon, then let them live on the website for a while, then tuck them away in a legacy section of the website. Some of it has already been torrented anyway, once the pirates hack the final Alchemy version I guess I'll see more of libs up there too.

Unfortunately the aaz-format with the resynthesized data can't be recycled in any other program as it's a special Alchemy format - jeez, I spent months resynthesizing about everything I could find.

Sampleconstruct wrote:
Ameyah Audio wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote:Some Alchemy Nostalgia which I improvised yesterday live on video:

incredible work on them, still a bit sad about Alchemy 2 will not gonna happen. :(
Thank you!
Yep, I was sad for weeks too, now it's more a feeling of nostalgia and when improvising with it yesterday I was filled with joy and a feeling of farewell :)

Nah, no freeware, I will recycle a bigger portion of the samples for other hybrid instruments (like 17+ Gigabytes), do a final sale very soon, then let them live on the website for a while, then tuck them away in a legacy section of the website. Some of it has already been torrented anyway, once the pirates hack the final Alchemy version I guess I'll see more of libs up there too.

Unfortunately the aaz-format with the resynthesized data can't be recycled in any other program as it's a special Alchemy format - jeez, I spent months resynthesizing about everything I could find.
Sad???!?! No sad! Be happy! :D

Here's an idea/challenge:

First: Group Buy - capitalize on this opportunity - question: are there sounds that you've created with Alchemy that would be all but impossible to create with other synths? This is what I'm personally interested in, and I assume others would be as well.

Could you go head to head with Omnisphere 2 presenting sounds that Alchemy can do that Om2 can't?

Alchemy will be useable for a while, SC - I still have a computer that works with my Yamaha ES6 keyboard outfitted with a old FireWire interface - what do you think?

If you're going to go out, my suggestion SC, is to go out BIG

machinesworking wrote:
mandolarian wrote:
machinesworking wrote: Also Ben H pretty much implied in this thread that they did not get bought by
Apple, so it's all good. :)
So..."Pretty much implied" is the next best thing to the next best thing to the next best thing to being stated as fact? That's only 3 degrees away. Must be true. :D
Hey you go ahead and worry about Apple buying Camel all you want. No skin off my back, but the only thing you have is rampant speculation. The only bit of evidence we have either way is the owner of the company hinting in this thread it was foolish to think that.
You're basically saying "Prove Bigfoot isn't real!" A logical fallacy.
At least it's speculation in a spectacularly speculative thread. What are you offering other than a skinless defense of your fav phone company?

Are you sure that Ben H is the Big Ben you think he is? If so, then he's mighty obscure with his revelations:
Ben H wrote:I'm really upset to read this news. :(
Alchemy is already pretty awesome, as-is.
V2 would have been something truly amazing.
And...
Ben H wrote:
Examigan wrote:Some people mention Apple, but what if Native Instruments bought them out? That's my preference. :wink:
Of all the suggestions made so far, I think this is my preference too. :wink:
Or..
Ben H wrote:
Gamma-UT wrote: it seems plausible they sold IP and can't say anything until the buyer decides to disclose the info (if they would ever)
It's the most likely scenario.
on the other or...
Ben H wrote:Maybe NI bought them, and they are going to bundle Alchemy 2 with Komplete 11.
Nah..must be this or:
Ben H wrote:Or they have gone into administration/receivership?
That's also quite plausible, given the lack of info.
Nope. It's this:
Ben H wrote:Rumour has it that they will confirm the answer once someone has guessed correctly.

So you'll need to keep continuing to post your theories for now, since no one has guessed the right answer so far. :wink:
Even still...doesn't appear to be a big fan of his own company's behaviour:
Ben H wrote:
Mushy Mushy wrote:
Ben H wrote:Besides, I really doubt said buyer would walk away from the deal if Ben had insisted that keeping quiet was non-negotiable.
That's precisely my point though, we don't know.
And until we know, I don't think we should be calling his business practices "shabby".
And now we arrive back at this:

They did this all on THEIR OWN with THEIR OWN behavior. :roll:
If you know that your Ben H is Ben G, founder of Camel Audio, then please tell him he is a master of disinformation as well as DSP and he will fit very well with the culture at his new employers' space donut HQ.

Anyhow, not sure why you're ragging on me about the Apple Buyout Theory, it's the most popular speculation thus far and you've subscribed to it yourself not too long ago:
machinesworking wrote:I own all three of their plug ins, and I'm kind of shocked about this!?
The way they worded it makes me think it could be a buyout? It's similar to how Redmatica went, doing seemingly well, and the developer was hired by Apple.

The more I think about it the more this has to be the case; so where are we going to find their skills? any information?
That was before you divested of your Camel products, so maybe you know more than you're willing to tell..Oh I get it, you're Ben Gillett, the Ben that founded Camel Audio. Admit it! :D
perception: the stuff reality is made of.

This thread has lost the plot!!! :wheee: :wheee: :party: :drunk: :drunk:
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

goldenanalog wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote:
Ameyah Audio wrote:

Thank you!

Sad???!?! No sad! Be happy! :D

Here's an idea/challenge:

First: Group Buy - capitalize on this opportunity - question: are there sounds that you've created with Alchemy that would be all but impossible to create with other synths? This is what I'm personally interested in, and I assume others would be as well.

Could you go head to head with Omnisphere 2 presenting sounds that Alchemy can do that Om2 can't?

Alchemy will be useable for a while, SC - I still have a computer that works with my Yamaha ES6 keyboard outfitted with a old FireWire interface - what do you think?

If you're going to go out, my suggestion SC, is to go out BIG
Thank's for the suggestion, I've had my share of group buys and won't do any more, the cons outweigh the pros. In the sound layering and combination of different synthesis sources, yes of course there are sounds which can only be achieved in Alchemy, no other hybrid instrument so far combines additive/spectral resynthesis with granular synthesis and multisampling.

I don't use Omni and I am not interested in Omni 2 in any way, it will only be able to import a single sample per patch as I learned and it doesn't use resynthesis in any way - maybe it will be able to import wavetables with resynthesized instrument waveforms, but nothing beats Serum in this respect, so how could Omni be a competitor against multisampled sounds in Alchemy layered with all the other stuff in a singe patch?
Of course using the Omni factory multisampled instruments opens more possibilties, but for me as a sound designer that is of no interest, I make my own samples. Also looking at the granular engine of Omni2 in that Persing video it doesn't seem to give the user detailed and deep access to granular parameters like HALion5/MachFive do and to some respect Alchemy did.

As I'm a Mac only user, the next big OS update could already break Alchemy. I still have OSX 10.6.8 installed on my big studio Mac Pro, but this is going to be replaced very soon and then I'm stuck with Yosemite and future OSes on that one, all the Steinberg product line was recently broken by Yosemite, they now fixed that I heard, but no one will fix Alchemy ever. Mavericks on my music laptop will still work for some years, so Alchemy will work on that machine for longer. But it's not so much about my own needs concerning Alchemy, as libraries for Alchemy were a big part of my sound design business, Alchemy now is a dead horse for future generations of electronic musicians.

But hey, I've accepted that by now, there are many great instruments out there and there is so much to explore, with or without Alchemy.
Amen.

trimph1 wrote:This thread has lost the plot!!! :wheee: :wheee: :party: :drunk: :drunk:
It had a plot??? Damn! Who's going to bury it now? Cremation or Dehydration? Or we all chip in and launch it into space?

Then in a million years the aliens will find it and chuckle at how easily 21st century KVRians were distracted.

Besides, if we didn't have a few OTs and flamings, we'd be under 200 (ok by a huge number) pages and where would the fun be in that?

This is like the filibuster of KVR threads.

audientronic wrote:This is like the filibuster of KVR threads.
Don't spoil the suspense....at least until late June.

And now a message from our sponsors, Internet Cats:

Got camel?

What are you peeing into? :o
"I got a car battery and two jumper cables that argue different."
Rust Cohle

8)
Last edited by goldenanalog on Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

mandolarian wrote:
machinesworking wrote: Also Ben H pretty much implied in this thread that they did not get bought by
Apple, so it's all good. :)
So..."Pretty much implied" is the next best thing to the next best thing to the next best thing to being stated as fact? That's only 3 degrees away. Must be true. :D
mandolarian wrote:Are you sure that Ben H is the Big Ben you think he is? If so, then he's mighty obscure with his revelations.
:lol:

Yep, that's it... I realised that Alchemy 2 was too good to share, and so I have decided to keep it all to myself.

No, I am not the other Ben...
But I am MUCH better looking than he is. :D
Sampleconstruct wrote:Some Alchemy Nostalgia which I improvised yesterday live on video
So, plans for an Alchemy Nostalgia bank then Simon! ;) :razz:
goldenanalog wrote:Image
Sadly it seems that Alchemy 2 has returned to that great, big, camel in the sky. :(

Sent from the Cayman Islands with my iPhone 7.
My main tools: Kontakt, Omnisphere, Samplemodeling + Audio Modeling. Akai VIP = godsend. Tari's libraries also rock.

egbert wrote:
What are you peeing into? :o
We work in shifts. Many fingers, one screechy voice.

Ben H wrote:
Oh, get lost :D

Sampleconstruct wrote:
Ben H wrote:
Oh, get lost :D
it's a shame. i was really waiting for that granular skiffle band project you were always promising :roll:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2ORh0d8 ... 52&index=7

Return to “Instruments”