2CAudio Kaleidoscope | It's A Trip | Latest Update 1.1

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Annual Subscription for Kaleidoscope Kaleidoscope

actually at around 2:05 I see you switched to Tuning Sort to "Do Not Sort", and then I can see you were actually using 4 sample/ratios from your waveform... and then you change the the number of Duplicates as well, and we can then see you are using more at that point.

Anyway, the point is when using BOTH a large number or Partials AND a large number of Duplicates, the tuning will converge to some form of the harmonic series and some of the unique identity of the waveform/scale will be lost. Nothing wrong with that. If it sounds cool, it is cool. I'm just explaining in the "FYI" class of things...

In fact it was all wrong what I did, I had not converted my waveform to 64 Bit mono (it was stereo) and as the warning message wasn't clear in KS (it's so white) I never understood what it was trying to tell me. Now I can hear the waveform and I am amazed what comes out of this oud extract - just WOWOWOW!

Not sure if this will help anyone else but the issue I was having with recording was user error.

I was almost exclusively triggering soundsources via MIDI with my DAW not playing and completely forgot about the "white noise" setting. This ONLY has an effect when you press play or record in the DAW. /clownshoes

Also wow does the Kaleidoscope sound good with Valhalla Shimmer... Please spare me :hyper: I promise I will check out your reverbs :tu:

Also it appears to be completely stable for me now for the most part provided I keep the number of resonaters down to a reasonable level!
SW: Cubase 9.5 | Komplete 11 | Omnisphere 2 | Perfect Storm 2.5 | Soundtoys 5
HW: Steinberg UR28M | Focal Alpha 50 | Fender Jazz Bass | Alesis VI25

Sampleconstruct wrote:In fact it was all wrong what I did, I had not converted my waveform to 64 Bit mono (it was stereo) and as the warning message wasn't clear in KS (it's so white) I never understood what it was trying to tell me. Now I can hear the waveform and I am amazed what comes out of this oud extract - just WOWOWOW!

Well, there is really no "right or wrong" with KS. If it sounds cool :phones: , it IS cool :party: :love: .

I thought the last example sounded quite nice. :tu:

But, I wanted to give more explanation since this whole topic of tuning, and especially waveform tuning, is very unique in KS and unlike anything else on the market AFAIK. So I want to make sure that those who want the full details have the correct info.

Very cool that the oud extract wav sounds cool. Can't wait to hear. :tu:

I honestly have no idea what kind of strange and wonderful things we can find with waveform tuning. It's completely uncharted. I actually debated holding it back from the 1.0.0 version so that I could use it to make Galbanum sample libraries first. :oops: But I decided just to give it to everyone, as it really is effectively infinite and therefore there is plenty of room for us all to explore... :hug:

With short Feedback values waveform tuning could be thought of as modeling some weird instrument body of some alien instrument that does not exist yet. So if you send normal tonal stuff through it, it can still be tonal, but made more interesting/unique/other-worldly... :borg:

So here is how this oud waveform actually sounds, somebody give me three more lives please, I am being assimilated by KS:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PAnZnShtQc

Voice303 wrote: Also wow does the Kaleidoscope sound good with Valhalla Shimmer... Please spare me :hyper: I promise I will check out your reverbs :tu:
that's cool. I think Shimmer is a very cool and creative idea. Sean did a great job with one. :tu:

Prob can get some cool results this way with KS + the "pitch shift in feedback" stuff in Shimmer.

Prob could redo the Brian Eno Prophecy Theme from Dune this way (clip of which shown above -- if you are a youngster and have not seen Dune, you are really missing out. Watch it! I think it is great. And yes, I have read ALL of the books actually...)

Galbanum wrote:

Well, there is really no "right or wrong" with KS. If it sounds cool :phones: , it IS cool :party: :love: .
Well, in this case it was just technically wrong, so the tuning didn't import at all due to the file being stereo, not mono - and I was having a sonic placebo orgasm :oops:

Speaking of waveforms, Andrew, I have a question regarding the Architectural Waveforms 2010 package, which I bought. It seems like KS does not consider it a "library expansion" that can be imported all at once, since that can't be done via the dropdown menu. Does one "import preset package," and do it folder by folder, since KS doesn't want to import nested subfolders of the whole library? Or is there another way that is staring me in the face?

Thanks! And btw, KS is just about the most exciting new development in sound that I've seen in quite a while! The possibilities really seem, literally, endless...

later,
John

Sampleconstruct wrote:So here is how this oud waveform actually sounds...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PAnZnShtQc

To add to this: I was using B2 in this video, as a little present to Andrew.

Galbanum wrote:
Voice303 wrote: Also wow does the Kaleidoscope sound good with Valhalla Shimmer... Please spare me :hyper: I promise I will check out your reverbs :tu:
that's cool. I think Shimmer is a very cool and creative idea. Sean did a great job with one. :tu:

Prob can get some cool results this way with KS + the "pitch shift in feedback" stuff in Shimmer.

Prob could redo the Brian Eno Prophecy Theme from Dune this way (clip of which shown above -- if you are a youngster and have not seen Dune, you are really missing out. Watch it! I think it is great. And yes, I have read ALL of the books actually...)
Have watched the movie, always said I was going to get around to reading the books. I really should at least read the first!

When I was reading about shimmer I read about where the sound originated, very cool stuff :tu:

I finally gave into my GAS and picked up Kaleidoscope + Architecture 01, tell my boss I am sick for me tommorow I am going away for a while :hihi:

PS, I love the User File location choice in the installer. As someone who has all his presets synced on dropbox between multiple computers its nice to not have to manually create symlinks ontop of the install!
SW: Cubase 9.5 | Komplete 11 | Omnisphere 2 | Perfect Storm 2.5 | Soundtoys 5
HW: Steinberg UR28M | Focal Alpha 50 | Fender Jazz Bass | Alesis VI25

jtenney wrote:Speaking of waveforms, Andrew, I have a question regarding the Architectural Waveforms 2010 package, which I bought. It seems like KS does not consider it a "library expansion" that can be imported all at once, since that can't be done via the dropdown menu. Does one "import preset package," and do it folder by folder, since KS doesn't want to import nested subfolders of the whole library? Or is there another way that is staring me in the face?
Right. It has not been made a package. I did not make any special format of the 64-bit Waveforms for KS. So when you download it you get a zip file. You unzip it. This will create a folder strtureu like this:

Architecture Waveforms 2010 Wav64
----Architecture Waveforms 2010 Wav64
----Documentation

You should move this second level "Architecture Waveforms 2010 Wav64" folder to:

..../2CAudio Resource Library/Waveform Library/

You should probably rename it to something shorter also (my proclivity for verbosity got the best of me here... :dog: ) so that the whole title fits within the browser column space in KS.

So something like: "Architecture Waveforms 2010"

Maybe I will make a KS specific download for this, using the pacakge import features... but then it is tricky to make it easy to use the 64bit wavs for things other than KS.
jtenney wrote: Thanks! And btw, KS is just about the most exciting new development in sound that I've seen in quite a while! The possibilities really seem, literally, endless...
Thanks! :tu: I think it more or less is provably endless...

But that doesn't stop us from planning even more stuff to it. :ud:

Done, Andrew! WHOA!!! I'll be saying goodbye to my wife for awhile, now... Thanks!

jtenney wrote:Done, Andrew! WHOA!!! I'll be saying goodbye to my wife for awhile, now... Thanks!
Not smart. I don't recommend it. I lost a fiancée that way once. :(

(I blame Aether 1.5.0 for that one...)

...read Dune first before watching the movie. There's a ton of detail that you can't get watching the movie.
In rotation here: Hammock- Stranded Under Endless Sky

rustman wrote:...read Dune first before watching the movie. There's a ton of detail that you can't get watching the movie.
Actually if I may, I would argue for the reverse. Many who are avid fans of the book end up disappointed with the movie. The book is arguably the best science fiction book ever written. It is highly complex though, like a fugue with many different plot lines woven into one another with various levels of symbolism, etc. It's almost impossible to fit into any sort of reasonable duration movie.

I saw the movie on TV a few times as a young teenager. My father and I watched the movie the first time I believe when I was 13 or 14 or so I would guess... His response was "I have no idea what the F I just witnessed". Being somewhat of a competitive person, this naturally inspired me to read the book. :D

The book is incredibly deep, and more about human psychology, politics, religion, power, ecology, etc. than it is about technology and sci-fi gadgetry.... It is VERY deep. It will teach you how to think more effectively in many ways. (I hope that doesn't sound weird in some sort of Scientology sort of way... :D Actually I recommended it to my high-school girlfriend at the time, and her mother found the book and confused Herbert with Hubbert and was very concerned for a short while... LOL but I digress... :scared: )

Anway, I would say: watch the movie first. David Lynch did as fine of a job as anyone could have. (Jodorowsky's version would probably have required Psilocybin or DMT to understand :D ) You will be left with many questions. But it is enjoyable if you like challenging things, and I think the visuals are great! Then you should read the book for more details and the proper ending. :wink:

As a bonus: if you do either, you will start to recognize some of the factory preset names. :lol:

Return to “Effects”