Omnisphere 2 is here! (yes, it's really here!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Omnisphere 1 Omnisphere 2

noiseboyuk wrote:Yeah, we old users have been shafted royally. Since 1.0 we've only had the following:

• 4,500 new patches
• Trilian Library Integration - Support for loading Trilian factory soundsources, patches and multis in Omnisphere.
• 64-bit native support.
• Support for new STEAM engine features introduced in Trilian, including: Round Robin soundsources, Release layers, Multichannel soundsources, Legato articulation triggering.
• Memory Management features: Lite Version feature, sample thinning, training/purging for maximizing efficiency and faster loading/auditioning.
• Various interface improvements - Soundsource Zoom page mixing, Edit page soundsource images, memory meter, etc.
• Support for maximum number of RTAS processors in Pro Tools.
• 32-bit Sample File Server - more memory access in 32-bit systems (Mac only)
• New Browser "Favorites" system with star ratings
• "Projects" quick tagging for easy sound organization
• New "Juicy" and "Power" synthesizer filter algorithms
• Triplets and Dotted values in Arpeggiator
• Support for "Omni Live" remote control iPhone App
• New "Latch" performance features for Live Stack modes allow notes from any part to be "frozen"
• New Trigger modes allow Omnisphere and Trilian parts to be synchronized and quantized in real-time performance
• New "Sustain2" mode allows for much more realistic Rock-style Bass playing in Trilian
• All Envelopes now have Groove Lock™ feature. Envelope Patterns can be created via drag and drop of MIDI Files
• New Browser 'Search Lock' and 'Search Clear' features improve workflow
• New "Orb" page / circular sound manipulation interface
• New Harmonia zoom page shows all Harmonia parameters per layer
• Independent modulation options added for Harmonia Levels/Fine Tuning
• New Waveshaper zoom page with new polyphonic 'Crusher' and 'Reducer'
• New Granular 'Speed' and 'Position' modes
• New Granular zoom page with 'Granular Visualizer'
• New 5-Column Browser view displays more sound categories and attributes simultaneously
• Support for new 'Omni TR' iPad app
• New "Most Recent" Browser sorting option for User Patches
• Added support for Polyphonic Aftertouch
• 'Clone Part 1' feature added for use with multichannel MIDI controllers
• New "Clone Part 1 MIDI Controls and Make Omni" MIDI Learn function
• Modulation Envelope points can be key-command snapped to semitone when modulating pitch
• User-assignable Legato Interval rule added in Soundsource Zoom
• "Reset Factory defaults and preferences" feature added to Utility menu

Yeah, we've been really screwed. And now they ask for money for this puny, minor upgrade:

Audio Import - Use your own audio file as a soundsource in Omnisphere
Over 400 New DSP Waveforms for the Synth Oscillator - an increase of 100X
Wavetable Synthesis - Each Waveform is now a Morphing Wavetable
Powerful New Granular Synthesis algorithm
Deeper FM/Ring Mod capabilities for aggressive timbres
8 New Filter Types - New Power Filters, Vowel, Resonators
New Unison Drift models Analog Polysynth behavior
Expanded Modulation with new sources and many more targets
Polyphonic LFO and Modulation Envelope options
Soundsource Reversing
More than 3,000 New patches and soundsources from acclaimed Spectrasonics Sound Design Team
New Omnisphere EDM library with cutting-edge, modern sounds
New Exclusive Soundsources from Diego Stocco's Custom Built Instruments
New category of Phrase-based Soundsources for granular synthesis
Hundreds of new Circuit Bent Soundsources
Many Innovative new Psychoacoustic Soundsources
New Melodic Cave Stalactites Soundsources
Redesigned Wider User Interface with many improvements
New Show Modulation pane opens modulation routings/sources on left side
New Mini-Browser available at all times
Larger Full Browser Design
Enhanced Browsing Experience:
Sound Match™ feature instantly locates any related sounds in the library
Sound Lock™ allows endless useful variations by locking sound aspects while you browse
Easy Sound/Project Sharing for collaborators and third party libraries
Greatly Improved sound organization system
Fast Progressive Loading allows rapid auditioning
Browse Patches by Mood
Expanded Genres
Browse by Oscillator type
Boolean search options
New Arpeggiator Features:
Note transposition for step seq-style patterns
Arp pattern lock while browsing
Speed Offset control allows slow down/speed up effects
New modulation capabilities
25 New FX Units:
Innerspace
Quad Resonator
Thriftshop Speaker
Classic Twin
Bassman
Hi-Wattage
Rock Stack
Brit-Vox
Boutique
San-Z-Amp
Stompbox Modeler
Metalzone Distortion
Toxic Smasher
Foxxy Fuzz
Analog Phaser
Analog Flanger
Analog Chorus
Analog Vibrato
Solina Ensemble
Vintage Tremolo
Envelope Filter
Crying Wah
Stomp-Comp
Precision Compressor
Studio 2-Band EQ
Flexible New FX Features:
16 FX units per patch
Full matrix modulation of every FX slot
New Aux FX rack per patch with Pre/Post fader sends
Hundreds of New FX Presets and Racks
Lock FX while browsing
Improvements/Special Features:
Live Mode with key splits
Enhanced Orb with Attractor mode
Tweak Trilian Custom Controls Interface inside Omnisphere
Global Clock Speed (Halftime, Doubletime, etc)

Bastards.

Right, just to show 'em, instead of giving them $249 of my hard earned cash, I'm going to spend $3,000 on Nexus 2 expansions instead. I know I can't edit them, but to hell with Spectrasonics and their money grabbing ways of treating loyal customers.
remember how all those added features were "free to all customers" ?? and here you are trying to lay guilt on those of us who took eric at his word :clap:

i would have gladly dropped some money at the 1.5 upgrade, but once again it was "free

and if you want to spend all that money on nexus to prove how lame an analogy it is, then go ahead. it seems to come down to you not wanting to have to pay over the odds for all the expansion packs that spec's could have divided the 3000 into, trumping my desire to not be forced to buy any :shrug:

You do realize that you will likely get more "free" upgrades like Omnisphere 1 if you upgrade to Omnisphere 2 right el-bo?

That should be factored into the long term value of the upgrade.

I do understand where you are coming from though with $250 being steep. I am personally not eating out any or spending money on any other plugins for a few months for the upgrade but sacrifices must be made!
SW: Cubase 9.5 | Komplete 11 | Omnisphere 2 | Perfect Storm 2.5 | Soundtoys 5
HW: Steinberg UR28M | Focal Alpha 50 | Fender Jazz Bass | Alesis VI25

jlanthier wrote:
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
jlanthier wrote: Whether I rationalize about how it's fair
you rationalised that you feel you have had your $249's worth, on top of what you paid. that is a separate argument to whether or not the new features are worth what they are asking
We are both rationalizing.

Rationalize: verb
1. attempt to explain or justify (one's own or another's behavior or attitude) with logical, plausible reasons, even if these are not true or appropriate.

I'm rationalizing that it's decent value to pay $750 to license the best current version of a piece of software for 3-4 years longer than somebody who pays $500. I can afford it, so I am happy to pay for the upgrade.

As far as I can tell, you're rationalizing that Spectrasonics is running an unbalanced business practice which essentially requires long term, loyal customers to pay $250 more for precisely the same feature set that a new customer who hasn't previously supported the company has to pay. And so you are unhappy about the idea of paying for the upgrade.

Nothing wrong with rationalizing dude, we all need to do it to make decisions.
i didn't say i wasn't. i just said that one doesn't really counter the other

mholloway wrote:This is friggin pathetic in here.
Hahahahaha! :tu:

Haven't been around here long enough to know what's what, but it sounds like you've got a decent handle on things. I'm shutting up now. :hihi:

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: i didn't say i wasn't. i just said that one doesn't really counter the other
Fair enough. As far as whether the upgrade is worth $250?? Haha, on THAT front I'm going to be feeding SH&#TLOADS of samples into that beast!! Plus I can't wait to start digging into that library with the granulator and Reverse... oh - and having transpose on the arpeggiator for me is kind of like not having to lose a limb every time I stop using Zebra. So, in short, HELLZ YES. :phones:
Last edited by mostlyjustj on Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Voice303 wrote:You do realize that you will likely get more "free" upgrades like Omnisphere 1 if you upgrade to Omnisphere 2 right el-bo?

That should be factored into the long term value of the upgrade.

I do understand where you are coming from though with $250 being steep. I am personally not eating out any or spending money on any other plugins for a few months for the upgrade but sacrifices must be made!
but when is "free" not free ?? when you get to the point of upgrading and everyone throws in your face how much they gave away......erm....for free i would have rather paid incremental upgrades

as for sacrifices ?? i just can't afford it :shrug: my one big spend this year, and which i was planning on saving for (and selling a few plugs) was the 'komplete' ultimate' crossgrade (summer sale) which would actually cost me less than this.

the thing is, as i already said many pages back, i would have definitely paid between $100 and $150 for just the features, and without a single new sound. part of that payment is about supporting the company, as i actually thought omni 1 was perfect (FOR ME) as it was. none of the new features is a must-have for me, but i would have updated for os compatibility and further support etc. all that remains to be seen is how quickly spec's drop support for omni 1 on osx (maybe it won't make it past yosemite :shrug:)

jlanthier wrote:
We are both rationalizing.

Rationalize: verb
1. attempt to explain or justify (one's own or another's behavior or attitude) with logical, plausible reasons, even if these are not true or appropriate.

I'm rationalizing that it's decent value to pay $750 to license the best current version of a piece of software for 3-4 years longer than somebody who pays $500. I can afford it, so I am happy to pay for the upgrade.

Glad you have the money. If I had a lot of extra money I probably would. I wait until black friday- Christmas to buy just about everything. Perhaps I am a little tight with my money. But not so tight that I did not buy V1. I got it and I liked it. This upgrade does not seem to be as attractive, probably because I see it as a minor upgrade, there are competitor products that cost the same as the upgrade that are very good.

As far as I can tell, you're rationalizing that Spectrasonics is running an unbalanced business practice which essentially requires long term, loyal customers to pay $250 more for precisely the same feature set that a new customer who hasn't previously supported the company has to pay. And so you are unhappy about the idea of paying for the upgrade.

Being the good American capitalist, I do not think it is an unfair practice, they can do what they want, caveat emptor, from a customer standpoint I think the upgrade was steep.

Edit: Maybe you're just rationalizing that the new features aren't worth $249 to you? I can't read your mind, haha!!

Nothing wrong with rationalizing dude, we all need to do it to make decisions.
I agree with you completely. I had to rationalize my new audio interface (100 dollars off at Christmas $246 for an 18i8. But uf you are in sales, you would note my objection, price to high and try to substantiate the upgrade, but unfortunately that did not work on me. Spectrasonic can either lower the price (not likely) or try to make it more palatable in the next version, with all the people gushing about it on this site, I am sure they will not be motivated to get my $250. But that's ok, there are plenty of other people who make vsts. The weak, overpriced undervalue will die off (Camel Audio, no disrespect, but they are gone and completely left their customers in the lurch not allowing them to purchase their last preset/samples) and those who show value will prosper, even in a down economy.

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: you do know what a troll is, right ?? :idiot:

Yup. They live under a bridge, possibly eat people, and regularly complain that small, hard working music software developers are unfairly ripping off long-time users by -- gasp -- allowing grace period upgrades for new buyers.

mholloway wrote:
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: you do know what a troll is, right ?? :idiot:

Yup. They live under a bridge, possibly eat people, and regularly complain that small, hard working music software developers are unfairly ripping off long-time users by -- gasp -- allowing grace period upgrades for new buyers.

a grace period, (whereby someone who has unwittingly bought something just before a new upgrade appears, and is given 'grace' so as not to have to pay yet again), is very different to the 'buy now, get xxx free' situation that is now occurring. had spec's stuck to their word, and not divulged anything till it was ready (and not hyping it up at trade shoes), then no one would be any the wiser, people would have bought normally, and then been entitled to their 'grace'. there is a difference

I just gotta say that it always cracks me up when people talk about being a "loyal customer" for all these years, as if the fact that they bought a product many years ago and then got to enjoy it for a long time and receive free updates somehow means that they stuck by them and supported them and continued to give them money or something. Yes there is such a thing as loyalty discounts when multiple products are owned, as is the case with the VIP owners who own all three, but people tend to that expression anywhere. As in "I'm so loyal because I used your product for years and didn't sell it". Haha.
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
noiseboyuk wrote:Yeah, we old users have been shafted royally. Since 1.0 we've only had the following:

• 4,500 new patches
• Trilian Library Integration - Support for loading Trilian factory soundsources, patches and multis in Omnisphere.
• 64-bit native support.
• Support for new STEAM engine features introduced in Trilian, including: Round Robin soundsources, Release layers, Multichannel soundsources, Legato articulation triggering.
• Memory Management features: Lite Version feature, sample thinning, training/purging for maximizing efficiency and faster loading/auditioning.
• Various interface improvements - Soundsource Zoom page mixing, Edit page soundsource images, memory meter, etc.
• Support for maximum number of RTAS processors in Pro Tools.
• 32-bit Sample File Server - more memory access in 32-bit systems (Mac only)
• New Browser "Favorites" system with star ratings
• "Projects" quick tagging for easy sound organization
• New "Juicy" and "Power" synthesizer filter algorithms
• Triplets and Dotted values in Arpeggiator
• Support for "Omni Live" remote control iPhone App
• New "Latch" performance features for Live Stack modes allow notes from any part to be "frozen"
• New Trigger modes allow Omnisphere and Trilian parts to be synchronized and quantized in real-time performance
• New "Sustain2" mode allows for much more realistic Rock-style Bass playing in Trilian
• All Envelopes now have Groove Lock™ feature. Envelope Patterns can be created via drag and drop of MIDI Files
• New Browser 'Search Lock' and 'Search Clear' features improve workflow
• New "Orb" page / circular sound manipulation interface
• New Harmonia zoom page shows all Harmonia parameters per layer
• Independent modulation options added for Harmonia Levels/Fine Tuning
• New Waveshaper zoom page with new polyphonic 'Crusher' and 'Reducer'
• New Granular 'Speed' and 'Position' modes
• New Granular zoom page with 'Granular Visualizer'
• New 5-Column Browser view displays more sound categories and attributes simultaneously
• Support for new 'Omni TR' iPad app
• New "Most Recent" Browser sorting option for User Patches
• Added support for Polyphonic Aftertouch
• 'Clone Part 1' feature added for use with multichannel MIDI controllers
• New "Clone Part 1 MIDI Controls and Make Omni" MIDI Learn function
• Modulation Envelope points can be key-command snapped to semitone when modulating pitch
• User-assignable Legato Interval rule added in Soundsource Zoom
• "Reset Factory defaults and preferences" feature added to Utility menu

Yeah, we've been really screwed. And now they ask for money for this puny, minor upgrade:

Audio Import - Use your own audio file as a soundsource in Omnisphere
Over 400 New DSP Waveforms for the Synth Oscillator - an increase of 100X
Wavetable Synthesis - Each Waveform is now a Morphing Wavetable
Powerful New Granular Synthesis algorithm
Deeper FM/Ring Mod capabilities for aggressive timbres
8 New Filter Types - New Power Filters, Vowel, Resonators
New Unison Drift models Analog Polysynth behavior
Expanded Modulation with new sources and many more targets
Polyphonic LFO and Modulation Envelope options
Soundsource Reversing
More than 3,000 New patches and soundsources from acclaimed Spectrasonics Sound Design Team
New Omnisphere EDM library with cutting-edge, modern sounds
New Exclusive Soundsources from Diego Stocco's Custom Built Instruments
New category of Phrase-based Soundsources for granular synthesis
Hundreds of new Circuit Bent Soundsources
Many Innovative new Psychoacoustic Soundsources
New Melodic Cave Stalactites Soundsources
Redesigned Wider User Interface with many improvements
New Show Modulation pane opens modulation routings/sources on left side
New Mini-Browser available at all times
Larger Full Browser Design
Enhanced Browsing Experience:
Sound Match™ feature instantly locates any related sounds in the library
Sound Lock™ allows endless useful variations by locking sound aspects while you browse
Easy Sound/Project Sharing for collaborators and third party libraries
Greatly Improved sound organization system
Fast Progressive Loading allows rapid auditioning
Browse Patches by Mood
Expanded Genres
Browse by Oscillator type
Boolean search options
New Arpeggiator Features:
Note transposition for step seq-style patterns
Arp pattern lock while browsing
Speed Offset control allows slow down/speed up effects
New modulation capabilities
25 New FX Units:
Innerspace
Quad Resonator
Thriftshop Speaker
Classic Twin
Bassman
Hi-Wattage
Rock Stack
Brit-Vox
Boutique
San-Z-Amp
Stompbox Modeler
Metalzone Distortion
Toxic Smasher
Foxxy Fuzz
Analog Phaser
Analog Flanger
Analog Chorus
Analog Vibrato
Solina Ensemble
Vintage Tremolo
Envelope Filter
Crying Wah
Stomp-Comp
Precision Compressor
Studio 2-Band EQ
Flexible New FX Features:
16 FX units per patch
Full matrix modulation of every FX slot
New Aux FX rack per patch with Pre/Post fader sends
Hundreds of New FX Presets and Racks
Lock FX while browsing
Improvements/Special Features:
Live Mode with key splits
Enhanced Orb with Attractor mode
Tweak Trilian Custom Controls Interface inside Omnisphere
Global Clock Speed (Halftime, Doubletime, etc)

Bastards.

Right, just to show 'em, instead of giving them $249 of my hard earned cash, I'm going to spend $3,000 on Nexus 2 expansions instead. I know I can't edit them, but to hell with Spectrasonics and their money grabbing ways of treating loyal customers.
remember how all those added features were "free to all customers" ??
I think that's his point.
and here you are trying to lay guilt on those of us who took eric at his word :clap:
I don't see any attempt to lay guilt. Why should anyone feel guilty for using a product they paid for and receiving many nice free updates, new patches etc. I don't understand the issue. Were you expecting lifetime free updates and preset expansions? Were the 1.x updates not reasonable before a major upgrade? How does benefiting from free updates and patches in the past entitle one to not pay, or pay much for a major upgrade?
a grace period, (whereby someone who has unwittingly bought something just before a new upgrade appears, and is given 'grace' so as not to have to pay yet again), is very different to the 'buy now, get xxx free' situation that is now occurring. had spec's stuck to their word, and not divulged anything till it was ready (and not hyping it up at trade shoes), then no one would be any the wiser, people would have bought normally, and then been entitled to their 'grace'. there is a difference
Not meaning to be difficult or sound like a fanboy (I have my issues with spectra too), but again I don't see the problem here. It seems like it just means that people may simply buy sooner rather than wait until it comes out so they get to use Omni 1 in the meantime, which is cool for newcomers. Who in their right mind would buy it now without a free update when it's replaced. I don't see the problem in letting new buyers enjoy the current product who would have bought later.

r1chard wrote:
Arglebargle wrote:
r1chard wrote:There is a big difference between hardware and software. you should know that already. Asking for free minor updates like v2 of omnisphere is not unreasonable. Then charge for the sample pack, many companies do this and for a lot less.
I guess we're at a fundamental disagreement of Omni 2 being a "minor" update. :hihi: I suppose there is no seeing eye to eye.
Take away the presets..

You have a bunch of fx. Granular is an effect, import audio should have been in the first edition. I don't need any more effects, my daw has plenty. This is minor and should be a free upgrade. Many companies do free upgrades, then charge you for the sounds.

Granular is out there. There is no complete rework of the interface or coding of the product. They added a bunch of affects on. All they needed to do to import audio is another program built in that converts .wav to their format, they already had it otherwise they would not have been able to import their own samples into the product. If you think that is a major rework of the product, or recode, or interact do over, you can think that, but I think most intelligent people won't think so. At least those that are in the computer software industry.
My last hope was gone when Camel Audio ... :cry:
I got pretty high expectation on Alchemy 2!

By watching the demo of O2, I suspected that Alchemy 2 can do it as well or a bit better. Now, when CA announced the bad news, Eric can happily announced the price model.

There is only 1 company can fight with O2 - NI. Come on NI, show your guts!

Unfortunately, in matters such as these, somebody comes out on the short end of the stick.

Look at it from both sides and you can understand why some people have a problem with this.

Let's take somebody who is brand new to the music making business. They just heard about Omnisphere at the NAMM show. They had no idea Omnisphere ever existed. Believe it or not, not everybody has been doing this stuff for 10 years. Everybody starts somewhere and when they do, their knowledge of products is close to zero.

So this person finds out about Omni 2 and loves it so much they want to start using Omni 1 right away just to get their feet wet. After all, it's essentially the same VST with fewer options.

Problem is, without the free upgrade for Omni 2 , they'd be spending $500 on Omni 1 now and another $500 for Omni 2 in 3 months. That's absurd. No one would do it. So the end result is they have to wait 3 months to use the instrument. Why should they be punished because they just happened to have never heard of Omni before this? Even an extra $250 for just a few months of use is a high price. Me? I'd wait the 3 months if I had to pay $250, even though I want the instrument now. In the meantime, those who knew about Omni 1 and bought it have had all this time to use it.

Now, here's the flip side.

You bought Omni 1 whenever. It was a long time ago. You've been using it for years. You've been waiting for a new version forever. One finally comes out but you have two problems.

1) You really don't feel that the new version offers that much more in addition over the old version. Certainly not $250 worth.

2) People who are just buying Omni 1 now are being given Omni 2 for free whereas you have to pay $250 just because you happen to have been unfortunate enough to have bought Omni 1 before the cutoff date. In short, the new people are paying $500 for something that you have to pay $750 for.

That isn't fair either.

And that's the problem with this whole situation. There is no solution that is going to be fair to both parties. Somebody is going to feel cheated.

Eric has decided that it is more important to favor new customers because that's where the new money comes in. If he hits then with a $250 bill just 3 months after they just bought their first version, they're going to feel like they've been taken advantage of. I know I would.

There you have it. There is no perfect solution to this problem.

I feel really screwed. I only bought Omni a couple of months before the cutoff date. So I haven't even had use of Omni 1 for a whole year and now I have to spend another $250 to get Omni 2? Yeah, I'm feeling real great about that. But I understand it. Eric had to make the cutoff somewhere. It just happens to be a bad time for me to have bought this. Had I purchased Omni back in 2009, I'd be tickled pink to get Omni 2 for $250. See, everything is relative.

I feel bad for everybody who feels cheated or screwed.

But I also understand that it was unavoidable.

cowby wrote:
r1chard wrote:
Arglebargle wrote:
r1chard wrote:There is a big difference between hardware and software. you should know that already. Asking for free minor updates like v2 of omnisphere is not unreasonable. Then charge for the sample pack, many companies do this and for a lot less.
I guess we're at a fundamental disagreement of Omni 2 being a "minor" update. :hihi: I suppose there is no seeing eye to eye.
Take away the presets..

You have a bunch of fx. Granular is an effect, import audio should have been in the first edition. I don't need any more effects, my daw has plenty. This is minor and should be a free upgrade. Many companies do free upgrades, then charge you for the sounds.

Granular is out there. There is no complete rework of the interface or coding of the product. They added a bunch of affects on. All they needed to do to import audio is another program built in that converts .wav to their format, they already had it otherwise they would not have been able to import their own samples into the product. If you think that is a major rework of the product, or recode, or interact do over, you can think that, but I think most intelligent people won't think so. At least those that are in the computer software industry.
My last hope was gone when Camel Audio ... :cry:
I got pretty high expectation on Alchemy 2!

By watching the demo of O2, I suspected that Alchemy 2 can do it as well or a bit better. Now, when CA announced the bad news, Eric can happily announced the price model.

There is only 1 company can fight with O2 - NI. Come on NI, show your guts!

I would bet anything that the price would of been the same regardless.
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

So Alchemy is gone and OMNISPHERE WINS AGAIN?

:lol:
Remember kids...Everything is impossible until it's actually done.

neverfall wrote:So Alchemy is gone and OMNISPHERE WINS AGAIN?
No, it's just what's left.

So now the versus threads will turn to HAlion and MachFive vs. Omnisphere and they'll all end with:

"at least Omni doesn't have a dongle." :P

Return to “Instruments”