What was the first Daw on Windows?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

What was the first Daw or Sequencer on Windows?
Last edited by memyselfandus on Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

I'm guessing...

Cakewalk

I'm going to guess Cubase, as it started on Atari ST.

http://youtu.be/lNYcviXK4rg?t=48s

FastTracker II / Scream Tracker. Yes, they
were DOS, but Win 3.11 ran on top of DOS.

Cubase was in 1992, two years after Scream Tracker. Nobody had disk space for Cubase back then though?

http://www.oldschooldaw.com/forums/inde ... 504#msg504
Last edited by arkmabat on Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Saw Pro if memory serves, was the first to have actual audio recorded onto a pc.
What sound do dreams make when they die?

Bigwig?

Jk, I thought it was Twelve Tone Systems/Cakewalk, too.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

Probably SAW.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_audio_workstation
Around 1992, the first Windows based DAWs started to emerge from companies such as IQS Innovative Quality Software which today is SAWStudio, Soundscape Digital Technology (which was later acquired by Mackie then by SSL), SADiE, Echo Digital Audio and Spectral Synthesis.

What was that old Mac DAW called that introduced audio channels and had "super awesome intro demo videos you totally have to watch"? Anyway, Trent Reznor swore by it until it stopped working and he had to switch to windows, much to his dismay. I don't get it when people despise what actually works?

Sounds like 1992 was a magical year for Windows.

arkmabat wrote:Sounds like 1992 was a magical year for Windows.
But it marked the end for the "golden girls"

I guess I never saw the beginning? I'd not been born long in 1992.

This
Reminds me of this

arkmabat wrote:I guess I never saw the beginning? I'd not been born long in 1992.
Please, by 1992 I was on my 4th or 5th car.

Resonant- Serpent wrote:Saw Pro if memory serves, was the first to have actual audio recorded onto a pc.
This

Trackers aren't DAWs. They definitely were the first digital audio sequencers on PC, though. They didn't run under Windows either. Usually quite explicitly so. The ones from back then couldn't even be abused into being multitrack linear audio players. Their sample size limits were too small and bit depths too low to do anything but low quality short bits. They didn't even support stereo samples. Today's trackers like Renoise are a different story, though you're still chaining samples together and triggering them with notes.

My vote was going to be Cubase or Master Tracks. I hadn't heard of Saw Studio. Interesting.

Master Tracks Pro in Windows, on a Turtle Beach Multisound Pinnacle, was where I first did multitrack audio in 1995(?). Cakewalk Pro Audio was a year or two later. Wheeee, the old days...!
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”