Instrument layer in instrument layer

Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Bought a QuNeo – it has loads and loads of to map, so I'm thinking of making an instrument layer preset with maybe 2 others in it to map these additional macros – can it be done? As now I'm constantly remapping pads to different instruments – it'll take a year to finish a project like this hah – and the official template for quneo is a regular »launch clips-change sends« deal, which I don't need.
(I'm Ø in any kind of programming, so maybe someone even has a little template for this, if it's possible?)

Cheers!
Brzzzzzzt.

you could try to ask bitwig support itself to improve the script and code your wishes. Actualy it might be not a bad time right now to ask for that, since i guess they will need to update most of their scripts anyway for the 1.2 update.

good luck!

Hey elnn,

I'm Evan from KMI, I'm actually the one that wrote the script, and would be willing to make some updates if you'd be a little more specific. Not really sure what you mean by an 'instrument layer'. The script that I wrote does has more than clip launching/sends control, it has an instrument mode. Scales, in key modes etc. It also has automatic parameter/macro mapping for the sliders.

What did you have in mind?

evanBeta wrote:Hey elnn,

I'm Evan from KMI, I'm actually the one that wrote the script, and would be willing to make some updates if you'd be a little more specific. Not really sure what you mean by an 'instrument layer'. The script that I wrote does has more than clip launching/sends control, it has an instrument mode. Scales, in key modes etc. It also has automatic parameter/macro mapping for the sliders.

What did you have in mind?
An honor, hah.

Well, I want to drive the expressive capabilities of the QuNeo to the edge of the cliff and tease it there, to get deep with the pressure and X-Y sensitivity of the pads.

So basically, I want to use it as an elaborate synthesizer and effects controller (not at all interested in using it for mixing duties, that's what MIDI keyboard faders are for!, just controlling the devices):
make a device chain patch and have many macros (certainly more than the default 8 available) tied to some parameters of these several devices and then have these macro knobs mapped to several pads / sliders.

I'll just illustrate it with an example:
[an instance of a patched-in modular] → [delay] (fb-fx [frequency shifter] → [flanger] → [panner])→ [Ring Mod] → etc → Out

so have a few macros mapped to the synth, let's say 5 Macros, which would leave us with 3 macros for the remaining effects – not much (considering having to map delay time, feedback and fb-fx device parameters, and anything that comes afterwards). Using the in-built macro knobs of the devices would be great, but afaik it's only possible to script for the first or the selected device macros, is it not?

So I was thinking about an exquisitely clumsy solution to that – an [Instrument layer] device in an [Instrument layer] in an [Instrument layer] and the rest of the chain in this last device. This makes up a total of 24 macro knobs. OR, having an [Instrument layer] device with an [FX layer] device there and map macros of both. Anyways, to have this template where I could have these several pads / sliders scripted to control these >8 macros and then to have control of another track when I arm it, to not have to fuss around with global MIDI mapping.

tl;dr – I like fiddling with many parameters and having expressive control over them. QuNeo seems to be the perfect (really, like THE solution) to that; now if only Bitwig would comply.

I hope my babbles came with at least a hint of coherence here (:
Cheers!

P.S. using the MIDI map of a VST is NOT an option, not friendly to pressure sensitivity at all. It's there for dialling in a patch, not controlling a one already dialled in already, after all
Last edited by elnn on Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Brzzzzzzt.

Yeah, I'm getting you (I think).
Here's what I am thinking. i could make a script that assigns a number of CCs (let's say 24) to the fist 24 available macros in a chain (if this is possible, I'm pretty sure it is, but I'll have to take a look). It would be up to you to make a preset that addresses these CC's in any way you choose. Pressure, x/y, sliders etc. You could of course map other CCs to things manually.

Also keep in mind that pressure and X/Y on the pads do not latch. You can't set a parameter and have it remain there. You'd have to use slider location for that.

Due to the open nature of the device it's pretty challenging to make a script that covers all use cases.

Let me know if this is matching up to your thinking.

elnn wrote:So I was thinking about an exquisitely clumsy solution to that – an [Instrument layer] device in an [Instrument layer] in an [Instrument layer] and the rest of the chain in this last device. This makes up a total of 24 macro knobs.
Hey elnn, I rather would use 3 [Chain] devices for this. For just having more Makros it's more elegant ;) .

u-u-u wrote:
elnn wrote:So I was thinking about an exquisitely clumsy solution to that – an [Instrument layer] device in an [Instrument layer] in an [Instrument layer] and the rest of the chain in this last device. This makes up a total of 24 macro knobs.
Hey elnn, I rather would use 3 [Chain] devices for this. For just having more Makros it's more elegant ;) .
It didn't cross my mind to try putting an instrument in a Chain container, thanks!

@ Evan: that sounds great, thanks! So the suggestion u-u-u made seems great, if it's possible to script maps for a »[Chain [Chain [Chain]]]«, I'd be ever so grateful! :ud:
Brzzzzzzt.

I'm pretty busy with NAMM stuff at the moment, but I will try to get to this in the next week or so. If you don't hear from me feel free to reach out with a gentle reminder.

evanBeta wrote:I'm pretty busy with NAMM stuff at the moment, but I will try to get to this in the next week or so. If you don't hear from me feel free to reach out with a gentle reminder.
Thanks a lot, do have fun there!
Brzzzzzzt.

Return to “Controller Scripting”