Is $125 for Waves CLA Classic too good of a deal to pass up?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've been thinking about picking up some extra compressors for buss compression, and saw a great deal ($125) for Waves CLA Classic Compressers bundle. I was curious how good a deal this is, if ill kick myself later for passing on it? (it's not a good idea, financially speaking right now)

Mostly curious if this is ever available at this price aside from holiday deals?

I think you'd have much greater flexibility for the same price going for the T Racks Group buy.

Waves CLA comps have been priced a bit lower than that too, closer to $100. I think during this year's Black Friday, they were even under $100.

CLA-2A is currently $79, but the bundle (2A, 3A, bluey 76, & blacky 76) is available from Plugin Boutique for $125, versus $500 directly from Waves.

I'd do it. I love em. Everyone should have good plug versions of the 2A, 3A, and 76 (especially multiple rev's)

$125 is a great price.... not very often that you see them this cheap... beats waiting till next thanksgiving and hoping they make the sale ;)

I would pick Hornet Multicomp Plus for 50 bucks. You will get la2a, 1176 and vca compressor and expander in one plugin. Quality awesome

DJMaytag wrote:I've been thinking about picking up some extra compressors for buss compression, and saw a great deal ($125) for Waves CLA Classic Compressers bundle. I was curious how good a deal this is, if ill kick myself later for passing on it? (it's not a good idea, financially speaking right now)

Mostly curious if this is ever available at this price aside from holiday deals?

not at all cause there are simply better emulations around, including the IK. buy just the black IK now and get another 4 plugins free anyway, no comparison, their la2a and 1176 sound better than the waves (and the 1176 gets the first attack on playback and after gaps in the audio which the waves misses), and the value is even better.

If you must have the best, go for the UAD-2 1176 Limiter Collection.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

electro wrote:If you must have the best, go for the UAD-2 1176 Limiter Collection.

Plus the card! Actually the softube one is on sale now and is also a very special flavour of 1176 with many unique additions (a high AND low pass detection filter, look ahead, and wet/dry), the combination of features make it the ONLY 1176 plugin with such versatility. for native if you want straight up emulation, the IK can't be beaten. If you want a great sound still but more bells.. the softube.

if you want what some (not all) consider to be the most accurate, spend all that money on a UAD and extra on top for the plugin pack. I personally do not think it's worth it at all just for their 1176/la2a.

TheoM wrote:
electro wrote:If you must have the best, go for the UAD-2 1176 Limiter Collection.
[..]
if you want what some (not all) consider to be the most accurate, spend all that money on a UAD and extra on top for the plugin pack. I personally do not think it's worth it at all just for their 1176/la2a.
A few years ago, I had the chance to buy a second hand UAD-2 solo card for very cheap (€100), making it possible to start demoing all their plugins. It didn't take long to realize their new 1176 and LA-2A collection was an improvement (to my ears) over the Waves CLA compressors. For me, the investment was worth it for only these two plugin collections, but I didn't stop with those though. I got a more powerful UAD-2 card and more UAD plugins, like the API Vision Channelstrip, AMS RMX16, EMT-140, Manley Vari-Mu, Neve 1073 and Pultec mk2 Collection. And more will follow.. :help: :wink:
Untold Stories Vol.1 - 64 Arturia MiniFreak presets
Analog History - 84 Behringer DeepMind 6/12/12D presets
Earth & Stars - 139 Free Patches for SuperMassive
Website

OP, I'd got for the T-Racks group buy at this point.

There's a very good chance that Waves is going to extend this deal again in another year, or even less.

It's not likely a T-Racks group buy with this amount of success will pop up again.

Also, I like the IK emulations more than the Waves ones.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-c ... st10596371

Stillwell Rocket is still the best 1176 emus to me

I'd go for it myself, actually I did, I got the CLA Classic Compressors and the CLA SIgnature Series for $240, was very happy with the deal, then brought the Gold bundle and a handful of singles. I was in the IK T Racks Group buy, and actually got all of them.
My first venture into Waves plugs was with the REEL ADT, I liked what it done and had a place for it, so I got it on sale with the Scheps 73. I done a side by side with the equivalent T Racks, ie '73 against '73, 76 v 76 CA 2A v CA 2A etc, just using my ears, and all I can say is, I'll be using Waves all the time, just better quality sound to my ears. Your mileage may very, as what sounds better to one may not to another, but for me it was night and day.
Say NO to CLAP!

Time is against my side, given that the PB deal is only good until the 23rd. I'd prefer the Waves CLA's, as I have an extensive Waves rig (Gold, L-316, plus a number of individual plugs), so much so that I just don't feel the need to upgrade bundles nor buy much of anything else in their range.

I'm strongly considering the IK group buy, as I'll have a little extra time to come up with the funds.

T-Rafks actually has the better emulations of this range. The Waves deal will happen again, to answer your question though.

Return to “Effects”