GOA - Sipping Soma

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This is as close as I get to Goa.
I have always had a taste for Indian Styles of music.
This one is dedicated to a singer I worked with for a few years.

https://soundcloud.com/vintage-synth-pa ... pping-soma

nice one patch, like the tribal feel and voice stutters. top production on the phones :phones:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

layzer wrote:nice one patch, like the tribal feel and voice stutters. top production on the phones :phones:
Thanks Layers!

MUCH appreciated...

Burning Man has fallen..

I like the ambient downtempo feel to it, but it seems too short (maybe by a couple of minutes at least) for how I would think of trance/goa and maybe lacking one or two other elements that I'm not sure of (as you said this is the closest you get to it). Also perhaps an odd question but the tempo feels like 120 BPM to me; is that correct?

Katelyn wrote:I like the ambient downtempo feel to it, but it seems too short (maybe by a couple of minutes at least) for how I would think of trance/goa and maybe lacking one or two other elements that I'm not sure of (as you said this is the closest you get to it). Also perhaps an odd question but the tempo feels like 120 BPM to me; is that correct?

Thanks for the feedback!
Perhaps Goa is a stretch, when working on tunes I dont think too much of what the results might be.

I find the thought process gets in the way so I try to keep it more intuitive.
Therefore, when setting tempo, I will generally do this based on my mood and not a formula so I couldn't tell you the tempo.

Categorizing what genre of music I do is often changeling.
For that reason I just call it electronic most of the time. :)
Maybe this is more Ambient/Electronic/Goa/Polka, etc....

Nice song but the bols sound a bit too generic and the beat should be heavier...

Tricky-Loops wrote:Nice song but the bols sound a bit too generic and the beat should be heavier...
Thanks for the feedback.

Less generic and more heavy, got it.. :)

I liked the track. I thought the Indian vibes came through loud and clear, but I think that this could have been longer and you could possibly have introduced some heavier elements later (electronic kit, and a Phat bass). This was a great production and, again, I thought this had a strong Ozric Tentacles feel.

Good work :)

A very good Sound Quality, very tasteful put together elements. thumbs up!

Very nice and an excellent choice of sounds. :)

The middle section could be a little more "driving" if you added a
suitable drum riff. I'm thinking standard 4 to the floor - off beat hi-hat
but it could of course be something else/more interesting.

But I liked it just the same.

Cheers :tu:
Sound C loud
Band C amp
Clicks and pops is all I get

seismic1 wrote:I liked the track. I thought the Indian vibes came through loud and clear, but I think that this could have been longer and you could possibly have introduced some heavier elements later (electronic kit, and a Phat bass). This was a great production and, again, I thought this had a strong Ozric Tentacles feel.

Now I am intrigued.

You see, you mentioned Ozric Tentacles before and I was not really familiar with this band.
I did some investigating and found several (maybe all) of their CDs on Zune (Xbox Music).

Now after listening to a good deal of it, I dont really hear the comparison.
I do know that on college radio I was getting played often with them so apparently others share your view.

But, not me, i just dont hear it. :)

None the less, thanks for the thoughtful response.

TrekStar wrote:A very good Sound Quality, very tasteful put together elements. thumbs up!
Thanks TrekStar!

PatchAdamz wrote:
seismic1 wrote:I liked the track. I thought the Indian vibes came through loud and clear, but I think that this could have been longer and you could possibly have introduced some heavier elements later (electronic kit, and a Phat bass). This was a great production and, again, I thought this had a strong Ozric Tentacles feel.

Now I am intrigued.

You see, you mentioned Ozric Tentacles before and I was not really familiar with this band.
I did some investigating and found several (maybe all) of their CDs on Zune (Xbox Music).

Now after listening to a good deal of it, I dont really hear the comparison.
I do know that on college radio I was getting played often with them so apparently others share your view.

But, not me, i just dont hear it. :)

None the less, thanks for the thoughtful response.
Check out "Spyroid" or "Meander" Both of these are from their "Curious Corn" album. These guys play with a "traditional" rhythm section (bass and drums), but that's probably not relevant here.

I don´t know a thing about goa really, but I like this one, tastefully done, well recorded, and never getting boring. Thumbs up :tu:

Return to “Music Cafe”