Mixing a fast track in to a slower one on CDJ's

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have cdj 850's and am looking to mix a faster track after a slower one. (from 138 BPM to 140BPM) I am aware that you need to adjust the new track with the tempo slider so it is the same speed, but once mixed in, when do you adjust the tempo back to its correct BPM? Or do you leave it to play at the slower tempo? Also can anyone tell me what the master tempo button does, should it be on or off?

master tempo is used when you want to alternate the tempo without changing the pitch. But it usually colors the sound quite heavy.
I would either rase the tempo slowly back to normal, or in a break or just leave it there..its up to taste, you could also pitch up the slow track to 139 bpm and the faster down to 139bpm, that way the change would be just a minor one..

Thanks for the good answer, i think i will try both ways. I usually move it up gradually in the break but wasn't sure wether that was the right way of doing it. Shouldn't the pitch's be the same then when mixing the tracks? Therefore shouldn't master tempo be switched on?

well, first thing to check would be if the tracks are harmonically compatible in their key. You can find that out with mixed in key software for example. But remember that the pitch changes when you adjust the tempo.

http://www.mixedinkey.com/

There actualy is no right way, you need to find out what works best with the tracks your mixing. Depends on the style etc.
So having different pitches in the first place is no problem, as long as they are harmonically working good together.
I`ve never used the master tempo, because on my cdj 100 ( :) ) the sound was way too much colored and i didn`t like it, so i looked for tracks that are of similar or almost similar tempo.

ok thanks mate, ill bare that in mind

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”