Synth of the year - 2014 (your thought)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Or This Is Not The Greatest Synth In The World, This Is Just A Tribute.

TINTGSITWTIJAT for short. Which kind of looks Finnish.

My brain is so addled I can't really remember what was out in 2014 and what was out before. I've bought more this year than any other, and some of those were things that were around before 2014.

Bazille would be an obvious one - gets lots of use here, and I keep finding new things it can do - guess that's modularism for ya! I've been really digging and getting lots of use from Rhythmic Robot things (Crank, Cloud Chamber & Jennings mkII) which are sampled, of course, but still work like a synth as far as I'm concerned if those count in this context.

Too much heavy usage for a lot of synths to pick one. It would change the next time I played with another synth, and most of my musical time recently has been taken up by learning a synth that's over a year old (it's just so deep!...(Loom))
Q. Why is a mouse when it spins?
A. The higher the fewer.

Numanoid wrote:A cheeky dev should do like Faith No More and call their creation "Synth of the year"

So whenever somebody talk about that FNM album it was always, here is FNM with album of the year :D
It would be epic. :D

http://youtu.be/ZG_k5CSYKhg

Dune2

Xfer Serum!

Agreed.

This year there are four kings:

Bazille, Dune 2, Blue 2 and Serum.

However, they still don't trump my consistent 'synth of the year - year after year' - Zebra2

:D
Last edited by C.Bennett on Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

My vote: MUX 6 with the new MultiForm Oscillator. MUX is an incredibly deep modular synth you can use as a plugin, or embedded in its own DAW, MuLab 6. MuLab is an amazing integration of instrument and DAW, and both MUX and MuLab had major updates this year.
H E L P
Y O U R
F L O W

C.Bennett wrote:However, they still don't trump my consistent 'synth of the year - year after year' - Zebra2

:D
+1

If I had to have only one synth Zebra would be it, no doubt.

For me that would be Bazille, but I already knew a long time since the beta's that it would be that good.. And suprisingly Oddity2, because I couldn't have imagined that it had become thát good!
No band limits, aliasing is the noise of freedom!

HIVE no Bazille no HIVE no Bazille no HIVE no Bazille no HIVE no Bazille no HIVE no Bazille no HIVE no Bazille no HIVE no Bazille no HIVE no Bazille no HIVE no Bazille no HIVE no Bazille no HIVE no Bazille no HIVE no Bazille no HIVE no Bazille no HIVE no Bazille no HIVE no Bazille no HIVE no Bazille no HIVE no Bazille no HIVE no Bazille no HIVE no Bazille no HIVE no Bazille no HIVE no Bazille no HIVE no Bazille

HIVE is out

Of the handful I bought this year, I'd say Dune 2 is the one that most instantly appealed to me and was put right to work in recording. I like the overall sonic aesthetic of a lot of the presets and of the synth in general. Its rather Virusey sounding phaser puts a smile on my face - the phaser was one of my favorite things about the Virus. Granted, I've only just started messing around with Hive. Various cool things this year brought. (Also have to give a shout out to the new Prodigy filter in The Drop, a key component for getting some of the best Moog bass ever heard from software.)
http://www.davidvector.com
New album, Chasing Fire, out now on Amazon, iTunes, etc.
Bandcamp: https://davidvector.bandcamp.com/releases

Blue II

foosnark wrote:Or This Is Not The Greatest Synth In The World, This Is Just A Tribute.

I think Finns would be confused by that word...

ksandvik wrote:
foosnark wrote:Or This Is Not The Greatest Synth In The World, This Is Just A Tribute.

I think Finns would be confused by that word...
....actually, if you remove the two letters which we don't have much use for, G and W, then it can be translated something like "the people who do the tintsit". Whatever that is. Sounds like something to do with either tinnitus or furiously drinking schnapps, or both.

;-)

On the topic, I haven't bought any new synthesizers this year (please don't hit me), so can't say much about commercial stuff, but I think Ragnarök is a fine piece of software, a top release for this year.

Serum for me. One of the most useable synths in a long time - and that really makes a huge difference. No manual necessary.

Sold off Diva and Zebra this year, but looking forward to trying Hive. Based on this thread, sounds like I should try Dune 2 as well (not a huge fan of Dune 1 though) and Blue 2 (never used any of Papen's synths).

Return to “Instruments”