How many drops in a typical dubstep song?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

And who says dub step isnt formulaic, make sure it has plenty of ripped off wub wub done with Serum or Massive or you'll never be taken seriously
Amazon: why not use an alternative

definitely 2 drops....then wait 40-60 minutes and see how you feel about it.
ImageImageImage

Make the song ALL drops.
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

fateamenabletochange wrote:that would leave just step, which would no doubt be way cool.
It is, although the video not so much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mDxcDjg9P4

Honestly you should make it your own and do whatever the hell you want and not worry about what a 'typical' one has. If it has all the elements of dubstep it's dubstep don't be so hung up on details like this unless you want to make cookie cutter tracks.

Do something different, as someone suggested 2 and a half drops could work. I don't see why not 3 or whatever. Just do what feels and sounds right, don't think about it too much.

What's a drop?
I prefer a decent blended whisky while my wife is a single malt girl.
I'm tired of being insane. I'm going outsane for some fresh air.

Dubstep was what I did when my Volkswagen Beetle needed a push...hateful thing it was.
I'm tired of being insane. I'm going outsane for some fresh air.

Eleventy twelve

I listened to some oldschool dubstep the other day, a mix of it. It actually sounded pretty good but I really could tell that you need a decent subwoofer to appreciate it. It was closer to drum and bass. Didn't have constant crazy energy and sounds constantly. Was pretty subtle and balanced.

It always got to me how the newer dubstep had it's "bass" in mid range frequencies. Not that some stuff you can do with LFO's doesn't sound cool, but it just seems to me that if the music doesn't have a lot of relation to either two-step or dub then why call it dubstep?

A talented person could do a lot to make some wicked sounding stuff sound even more amazing if someone with a strong sense of musicality added complexity usually seen in other genres. That might not make it accessible to most of today's dubstep fans but if you are aiming for good and talented, it's a given that not everyone is going to 'get it' when they are not into art that takes some attention and/or thought. It just seems like today everyone wants a quick tune they can understand easily, it's like our world is so fast-paced with so much to see and do that we don't take time to enjoy all the little details and intricacies of something more complex. They just wanna drop the base with one or two elements. Simplicity can be beauty if done right, it can be an actual artistic statement but variety is what makes life interesting. Too much simplicity drives you into mediocracy. It's all about the balance of elements. Too much complexity and people can't really make out at all what the hell is going on, too much simplicity and it gets boring to those wanting something a bit more.

Unfortunately dubstep is a bit too simple these days, relying on new timbres. The novelty has kind of worn off. So do something new, do something interesting and add a new edge, a new element, something someone hasn't done before but is close enough to be accessible to those who like dubstep. Add some layer of complexity to compliment the style while still retaining the general feel that defines the genre. You might not just attract dubstep fans but other people who might of not given it thought before.

In the scope of this the amount of drops should be a secondary thought to work with what you are aiming for in the execution of the expression.

Art evolves. Dare to be original; dare to express yourself.

2.2645 .

Return to “Production Techniques”