nChord v3 - HeartEater IS OUT!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
enChord

Hello Avantgarde Sound,

Was the velocity issue fixed on Version 3? Sometimes on the initial strike on the low velocity part of the key a high velocity signal is sent.

Your site is looking much nicer! :clap:

Kalamata Kid wrote:Hello Avantgarde Sound,

Was the velocity issue fixed on Version 3? Sometimes on the initial strike on the low velocity part of the key a high velocity signal is sent.

Hey Kalamata Kid, I wish I had responded sooner. I probably missed the KVR post reply notification. To answer your question, no such specific issue has been reported. What specific instrument or section of nChord was sending such high velocity signal? Ie., was that from ChordBank, from the ChordLibrary, from PadBoard, from etc.? I will be more than happy to check this out if you can give me more info on it.

For what is worth, in case you were experiencing this from ChordBank, as of v3, ChordBank features a so called Particle Mixer, ie, a per-note velocity slider for every note in any user-stored chord. This gives you plenty of micro-control to ensure your external sound generator sounds the way you want when receiving chords. As an addict to synth patch programming myself, I often enjoy making sure the velocity parameter interacts with or generates nuances in my patches, so it is very nice to have such detailed control level for ChordBank.

Thanks for the positive comment on the site. A couple other friends also mentioned that this same week. I just hope the powers that be are letting everybody get the same version... :)

Cheers,
Avantgarde Sound*
*For the love of the machine
http://www.avantgardesound.com/
Twitter: @TweetAvantgarde (http://www.twitter.com/TweetAvantgarde)

--

Can someone talk about how this compares to Chord track's chord assistant in Cubase? Would be great to hear from someone who has used both! I own Artist which has chord track, but not chord assistant and am looking for that functionality.

many thanks...

Igor Amos wrote:Can someone talk about how this compares to Chord track's chord assistant in Cubase? Would be great to hear from someone who has used both! I own Artist which has chord track, but not chord assistant and am looking for that functionality.

many thanks...
Short version:
I happen to use Cubase and I like it a lot as a DAW, but I don't think ChordTrak is up to par with nChord for many reasons but mainly because I happen to enjoy of an nChord license of course :wink: and nChord is a dedicated, faster tool. On the other hand, I think it's good to have Chordtraks because most people in the world don't know about nChord yet, and it's good that they have something at least somewhat similar. :tu:

Longer version:
However, for the actual reasons I and probably current nChord users prefer nChord (and without getting too much into the details), I guess I could list --in a nutshell:

- Immediacy: nChord is 800 to 1000% faster on many purpose-crucial functions. Just creating one single chord and auditioning it for chord progression comparison takes like 12-15 steps more in Cubase's chordtrack. In nChord, all that would take 2 or 3 taps of your finger max. (no dozens of submenus and tool switching and focus-hogging sub-windows), for instance, and nChord's library is more vast and hands-on (literally).

- Superior Portability: as part of the iPad/Lemur platform, you can also take nChord anywhere and play it anywhere. You can control other apps running in the iPad too.

- Expandability: given the fact that nChord is proudly developed for the Lemur platform. From the very beginning I made the decision to make nChord self-contained within a single tab in any given Lemur container/project, so that users can add nChord to their own projects and thus have multiple tools available.

- Superior compatibility: with nChord you can control any sound generator, sw or hw, and even other DAWs including Cubase and practically all DAWs. In a multicomputer system, nChord will control many DAWs and sound generators simultaneously if needed within a very streamlined setup.

- Greater creative freedom: chordTracks constrains the user in multiple ways once you enable it; nChord is on your side and is as simple as do you want to use it or not, it's never in the way, plus you don't commit until you want to. You can record nChord's output as that of any other common controller, so it doesn't pose a bunch of setup conditions.

- The above greatly impacts the overall results, which in nChord are far less predictable yet always interesting provided you minimally know what you are doing.

- nChord is literally more fun to use and it includes 3 touch controllers (2 of them are externally controllable as well by anything that can send MIDI notes)

- nChord includes scale modulation assistance algorithms plus real-time switchable modulation memory bank slots

- nChord has direct custom chord modifiers

- and Superior live mapping (far more flexible)

- and a Fully dedicated Multi-Touch UI, thanks to its chosen platforms (iPad and Lemur)

- nChord features a scale-driven real-time chord grabber (NoteBoard Sense) for custom chord feed/creation

- Chordtrack depends on dozens of menus and submenus; nChord is mostly a one-touch UI in its entirety

- Overall, while in use, chordTracks assumes too much and gets in the way too much and so it turns into a chore quite often.

etc. The list could go on...

Cheers,
Avantgarde Sound*
Last edited by Avantgarde Sound on Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks for much for the comparison. I'm mainly interested to hear how it makes chord progression suggestions. I don't know much about it all but I know Chord Assistant uses some algorithm that people seem to like that can recommend next chords based on what has gone before. And that it does it with most harmonic to most dissonant? Not sure exactly how it does this but can you talk about how nChords figures out its recommendations? is it based on a similar algorithm?

Igor Amos wrote:Thanks for much for the comparison. I'm mainly interested to hear how it makes chord progression suggestions. I don't know much about it all but I know Chord Assistant uses some algorithm that people seem to like that can recommend next chords based on what has gone before. And that it does it with most harmonic to most dissonant? Not sure exactly how it does this but can you talk about how nChords figures out its recommendations? is it based on a similar algorithm?
Sure. I am not going to explain nChord's algorithms or inner concepts, but yes, it is algos driving nChord's smarts, hence "A harmony modular super algorithm" is its 'slogan' kinda. Nonetheless, it is its conceptual approach what's most valuable about nChord. Like, it is commonly accepted that 1 + 1= 2 everywhere, that's stupid easy and we all take this info/data/math for granted; however, creating something that is beatiful and useful and thus desirable with that very basic info is where it's at. Therefore if people were to try to "desciphre" nChord's algos, in reality, they will still be nowhere even if they are handed the algos on a tray along with the morning paper and some orange juice... so to speak. Math and code are bricks and wood at most, imho.

Cheers,
Avantgarde Sound*

--

I think I know what you are saying. I'm interested to know what options you have for determining what kind of chords it suggests?

Is it comparable to Chord Assistant in terms of different modes and "complexity" like chord assistant?
Last edited by Igor Amos on Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Igor Amos wrote:I think I know what you are saying. I'm interested to know what options you have for determining what kind of chords it suggests?

Is it comparable to Chord Assistant in terms of different modes and "complexity" like chord assistant?
nChord is better, far more flexible and multiple times faster. But more importantly, nChord is more fun. It can also be as easy as you want, or as complex as you are willing to go. Plus, as mentioned before, with their solution, you are forced to make your entire project around their chordtracks, which is like a Big Momma track, and you only do what Big Momma says. nChord doesn't get in your way.

nChord doesn't need a "complexity slider", because it makes no practical sense from the composing perspective. The philosophy here is whether your chord progression actually needs a complex or a simple chord, and nChord will in fact put both at your disposal in a visually neat way so it is you who makes that call... No big chunks of unreadable text nor additional sliders needed.

The options in nChord are vast (the included library is bigger and more hands-on btw... I did check). I strongly suggest that you visit the website too. For instance, here's a pic showing a good chunk of the chord types and tensions available at the touch of one finger with immediate auditioning:

Cheers,
Avantgarde Sound*

--
Last edited by Avantgarde Sound on Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:21 am, edited 5 times in total.

what kind of criteria can you use to generate chords suggestions?

Igor Amos wrote:what kind of criteria can you use to generate chords suggestions?
The criteria is set by the user himself when he choses a root note and a scale (which takes only a couple of finger taps [edit: there's *also* a scale audition sequence generator, to help you decide whether any scale fits your current composing mood, ain't it cool? :)]), from then on all analysis and automatic suggestions are in-harmonically correct in regards to that *user-chosen* harmonic foundation, no over-assuming at all... Yet, since nChord features scale modulation analysis too, once you modulate to a new scale (if/when you want) the suggestions will change accordingly of course, but they will go nicely with your choices from the base scale, which is obviously very important. Basically, you could spend years trying all the possible combinations, and you will find that the suggested progressions are harmonically correct or "good sounding" at least for most mere mortals like myself.

It's very cool to work using the algo assistance and using the custom chord design facilities at the same time (plus the included controllers to help with both), no other sw or hw provides this and in such a hands-on way.

Cheers,
Avantgarde Sound*

---
Last edited by Avantgarde Sound on Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

so, finally the puzzle is solved.....this is a $70 app, that is nearly 3 times as expensive as lemur (which is also needed). further to this, you recommend the use of another hardware device that adds another $100 to the cost

is that about right ??

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:so, finally the puzzle is solved.....this is a $70 app, that is nearly 3 times as expensive as lemur (which is also needed). further to this, you recommend the use of another hardware device that adds another $100 to the cost

is that about right ??
Kinda, yeah, almost right, because so far no nChord user has paid the full price amount. I try to mantain at least a minimal discount going on for everybody. Currently, new users can get nChord with a 30% discount, for instance.

Another correction is that there are some USB-to-MIDI cables for less than 10 bucks, so you don't need a fancy interface for $100.

I guess you are a bit off by like 110 bucks or ~60%.

Also, I think you could say that nChord is sort of a especial product. I made the decision to use current technologies and platforms and focus all the efforts on the actual design. This is because "reinventing the wheel" would have costed millions of dollars, making nChord a 2 thousand dollar product for the end user. Remember how Lemur itself was like $2700 for a good while? It is now under $50 as well, but it is sw only now. I have been a lemurite since those old hw days, and it still hurts when I remember selling my Lemurs for half of what I payed :cry: Let's keep in mind though that a sw platform like Lemur without good sw to show for it is only half useful.

Looking at nChord's features, results and uniqueness, and the asking entry price of 49 bucks to support the project, I really don't think it is much. I am using my own savings into the project, just so you get an idea. Quite a fun ride for sure though.

Cheers,
Avantgarde Sound*

--
Last edited by Avantgarde Sound on Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dear Mr. or Ms. Avantgarde Sound,

It may be good to participate in the nChord thread on audiobus forum. There seem to be folks who are wondering about it and hoping you might show up.

I also want to say to you that it is my opinion that if you did a video that showed working examples of what nChord v3 is capable of, your application would probably sell itself in large quantities without much sales effort. If its as you say (and I believe that it is). You wouldn't even need to use many words to say how great it is. It would be obvious. Just my opinion but I'm guessing there may be others who share my opinion. Just trying to give a prospective buyers vantage point. All of the wordy descriptions and language just honestly make me feel less sure about a purchase since I end up still unclear about its functionality in a tactile sense. And its just expensive enough to not want to take a chance. For me, your website honestly turns me away. I just want a clean video example. Like you did with version one but maybe voiceover explaining? I know you are probably working on this so please forgive me if this is assuming too much. Just trying to offer a viewpoint that I imagine might help with getting people on board.

Sure, Killmaster, all feedback is valuable to me as long as it is genuine and well intended. Opinions difer, but there's always something valuable. Regardless, there's no way I won't respond to questions from you guys to the best of my ability. And yeah, many users and potential users want a video, and so I am working on that. It is going to be very straight-to-the point, showing the main features, particularly the new ones.

Cheers,
Avantgarde Sound*

--

Avantgarde Sound wrote:
Kalamata Kid wrote:Hello Avantgarde Sound,

Hey Kalamata Kid, I wish I had responded sooner. I probably missed the KVR post reply notification. To answer your question, no such specific issue has been reported. What specific instrument or section of nChord was sending such high velocity signal? Ie., was that from ChordBank, from the ChordLibrary, from PadBoard, from etc.? I will be more than happy to check this out if you can give me more info on it.

For what is worth, in case you were experiencing this from ChordBank, as of v3, ChordBank features a so called Particle Mixer, ie, a per-note velocity slider for every note in any user-stored chord. This gives you plenty of micro-control to ensure your external sound generator sounds the way you want when receiving chords. As an addict to synth patch programming myself, I often enjoy making sure the velocity parameter interacts with or generates nuances in my patches, so it is very nice to have such detailed control level for ChordBank.

Thanks for the positive comment on the site. A couple other friends also mentioned that this same week. I just hope the powers that be are letting everybody get the same version... :)

Cheers,
Avantgarde Sound*

--
I did not forget to reply.
I am having computer issues that may be cuasing the velocity problems. When I fix whatever is ailing my computer I will retest nChord and the velocity. I will keep you posted.

Return to “Instruments”