Mac OS X Yosemite disables third-party SSD driver support

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

TBH, I'm getting really hacked off with this sort of stunt by Apple.

I'm in the market for a new desktop for audio and image editing purposes, but either I am forced to spec up an iMac to a ridiculously expensive level, because I can no longer upgrade the boot disk and RAM myself, or buy an even more expensive Mac Pro, where I have more options (nothwithstanding this SSD issue).

Apple have become everything I used to despise Microsoft for. Their decline has started though; it will be the Google and Samsung empires next.

First world problem, but I just have far too much invested in Apple software.

Grumble grumble :x :x

ZenPunkHippy wrote:
TwoToneshuzz wrote:Don't notice any issues with it yet, it early days, and I will be working through all my plugs and installing Logic X in the coming 7 or 8 days..
Disk Utility does not report trim status - you need to open System Information (it's in Applications/Utilities).

Anyway, if Trim is disabled but required you would not notice immediately - but the disk would slow down over time.

First, you need to find out if the Lacie disk requires trim to be enabled. Some disk manufacturers like OWC use over provisioning instead, which allocates spare disk space for housekeeping, but reduces the overall disks space available e.g. a 256 GB SSD only has 240 GB available after formatting, and therefore don't require trim.

Peace,
Andy.
Okay. Suppose it won't really be an issue for me as I*m only using the SSD for samples. It would likely be more critical if it was the System boot drive.. I give it a look when I'm on Yosemite again..
waves break, but somehow it all makes sense.

TwoToneshuzz wrote: Okay. Suppose it won't really be an issue for me as I*m only using the SSD for samples. It would likely be more critical if it was the System boot drive.. I give it a look when I'm on Yosemite again..
on modern SSDs TRIM is becomming increasingly 'nice but not vital' - you'll take a bit of a hit on write speeds without TRIM (as cells will be cleared on demand) but that's all. Early SSDs were a lot less forgiving

Modern drives will still be doing a pile of garbage collection in the background anyway

http://www.techspot.com/news/52835-unde ... -more.html

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”