I really wish someone would make a midi keyboard with 16 faders.

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Having 8 faders on a midi keyboard is cool and everything, but 16 would be so much better. Yeah I know you can nudge the buttons back when you get past 8, but its just not the same :neutral:.

Looking at the layout of my Novation Launchkey 49, there would be enough room to get another 8 faders on there with a slight re-design. Could probably even get 24 faders on a 61 key keyboard?

Why is there not a midi keyboard with more then 8 faders? (And yes I know theres the 9th master fader :D )

d-s-m wrote:Could probably even get 24 faders on a 61 key keyboard?
Could be a power issue, if running it USB powered?

Numanoid wrote:
d-s-m wrote:Could probably even get 24 faders on a 61 key keyboard?
Could be a power issue, if running it USB powered?
Not at all. It's almost certainly simply that the majority of customers don't want sixteen faders and the cost of the additional faders would not be justified at the price points that they are targeting.

Akai Max49 only has 8, but it has 4 banks of 8, so you don't get access to all 16 (or in this case, 32) at once, but you do have the ability to control up to 32 different items with the faders and switching between banks is just the push of one button on the controller.

ImNotDedYet wrote:Akai Max49 only has 8, but it has 4 banks of 8, so you don't get access to all 16 (or in this case, 32) at once, but you do have the ability to control up to 32 different items with the faders and switching between banks is just the push of one button on the controller.
And since they're not actually physical faders, that actually works fairly well. If, that is, you can get over the sticker shock.

I really wish there was a midi keyboard with no faders, no knobs, just a mod/pitch joystick, patch change, and volume and pan.

But a nice big blank area to put my own controller, comp keyboard, trackball.

topaz wrote:I really wish there was a midi keyboard with no faders, no knobs, just a mod/pitch joystick, patch change, and volume and pan.

But a nice big blank area to put my own controller, comp keyboard, trackball.
Assemble your own: http://synthesizers.com/controllers.html
It would cost you a lot of money, but at least you get the highest quality available.
It's narrow, so no huge blank area, but you could improvise all kinds of things.
"Music is spiritual. The music business is not." - Claudio Monteverdi

Yep flat top keyboards sure are nice for many purposes. There are few nowadays, but occasional worthies.

Kawai has made many of their stage pianos flat tops. The controls are on a sloped panel between the keys and the flat top.

I keep 3 old yamaha sy55's for this reason,

I know how to take it apart and clean the keybed.

But I would love a new model :-)

ghettosynth wrote:
ImNotDedYet wrote:Akai Max49 only has 8, but it has 4 banks of 8, so you don't get access to all 16 (or in this case, 32) at once, but you do have the ability to control up to 32 different items with the faders and switching between banks is just the push of one button on the controller.
And since they're not actually physical faders, that actually works fairly well. If, that is, you can get over the sticker shock.
Actually, the price isn't bad when you consider that you have four sequences per preset, four banks of pads, four banks of sliders, CV and gate outs, etc.

I bought a MAX49 right after it came out. There's a couple things that still need addressing IMO (the first firmware update addressed some issues that I had with it), but it's workable; a lot of people won't even miss what I think needs to be implemented. YMMV, of course.

ew
A spectral heretic...

ghettosynth wrote:
I may have to invest in one of those Akai Max keyboards, really cool idea to have led faders. Having the physical faders in the wrong position when you switch between banks is a real PITA.

If you are okay with that kind of faders then an iPad running lemur or touchosc might be a good option. And you will have all controls you wish for.
dedication to flying

rod_zero wrote:If you are okay with that kind of faders then an iPad running lemur or touchosc might be a good option. And you will have all controls you wish for.
Except the keys ... ;)

thecontrolcentre wrote:
rod_zero wrote:If you are okay with that kind of faders then an iPad running lemur or touchosc might be a good option. And you will have all controls you wish for.
Except the keys ... ;)
It's more than the keys, the physical constraints of the touch faders matters. I use my ipad a lot, but i is not a substitute for controls that are physically constrained in some way. I think that the touch faders are a decent compromise. You get instant recall, nothing vertical that gets in the way, but, you fingers are still constrained to the slider slot.

Well of course you will neeed seprate keys. My point was that fi you were considering the Max49 with it's touch faders then maybe the iPad was not a bad idea for you.

Touch faders are not the same, but they have advantages (custom templates, as many channels as you want, instant feedback, more controls, color coded, track name, etc) wich in my opinion overcome their weakness (no physical feedback).
dedication to flying

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”