Cytomic "The Drop" Resonant Filter

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
The Drop

andy-cytomic wrote: I know that the remote SL has some sort of wrapper layer, so my first guess is that this may not play nice with the intensive graphics of the new version of The Drop. You may want to try mapping some parameters to your Remote SL and then closing the GUI of The Drop and see if that helps.
FYI, I use a Remote SL MkII and have no problems with Automap and The Drop.
I use 64bit Reaper and the 64bit VST version on Windows 7.
Even with glide off I have no scratchy/steppy sound.

Satch1 wrote:Hi Andy, I sent you an email, but forgot to mention I tried mapping some knobs then closing the GUI, but it's still the same.
Great thanks! You may also want to try using the Glide knob on a higher setting as this will smooth things out more, and you can also try switching from 2 pole to 1 pole. 2 pole is a dynamic algorithm which is what the old version uses, but I have defaulted it to be a bit faster which may be why it's not acting as smoothly as you want.
The Glue, The Drop - www.cytomic.com

Mace404 wrote:FYI, I use a Remote SL MkII and have no problems with Automap and The Drop.
I use 64bit Reaper and the 64bit VST version on Windows 7.
Even with glide off I have no scratchy/steppy sound.
Thanks for letting me know! I think it is to do with defaulting to a slightly faster smoothing time for the filter cutoffs which is hopefully easily fixed by increasing the Glide time.

Ben.juodvalkis wrote:What settings do yall use to get nasty overdrive? Coming from zebrify I could use the drive knob on the xmf filter to totally destroy the sound, and would like to do something similar with the drop. Even when cranking drive on both filters it's much more polite
thanks!
If you want nasty digital sounding clipping you may be best off sticking with a slew of other filter plugins that do harsh things to your sound.

The Drop is an accurate analog model so it isn't going to do ugly digital clipping, but it does do fuzz distortion very well, but just like the original circuits you have to dial in a lot of drive to get things sounding more egressive. So you will probably need to use the Drive knob as well as in the Pre gain to get the levels of drive you want. Try out the stomp box fuzz presets, and increase the cutoff to 20 khz so there is no dulling at all of the sound :tu:

andy-cytomic wrote:
Satch1 wrote:Hi Andy, I sent you an email, but forgot to mention I tried mapping some knobs then closing the GUI, but it's still the same.
Great thanks! You may also want to try using the Glide knob on a higher setting as this will smooth things out more, and you can also try switching from 2 pole to 1 pole. 2 pole is a dynamic algorithm which is what the old version uses, but I have defaulted it to be a bit faster which may be why it's not acting as smoothly as you want.
Aaah, yes the glide knob has cured it, thank you :). I just saw the glide as a way to glide from note to note when key tracking. I didn't realise it could also create lag whilst moving the cutoff directly. I'm finding the 2 pole is best for keeping the cutoff more responsive to movement, as I don't need to apply as much glide.
I'm still curious why it's sounding smooth to Mace404, without any glide applied. Is it the same for you Andy? Is it a Win XP issue or a processing power issue? I am running a 6 year old Intel Quadcore @3GHz.

By the way, did you reply to my email? Not a problem if not... just wondering in case I gave you a mis-spelt email address.

Anyone experiencing settings reset when loading project in Ableton Live 9.1.6? The Drop reset its setting to default on load. :(

h4nc0 wrote:Anyone experiencing settings reset when loading project in Ableton Live 9.1.6? The Drop reset its setting to default on load. :(
The settings reset on the LP filter on Live / Audio-unit / OS X, other controls should be recalled correctly. It's a bug in Ableton Live, was discussed before in this thread, the fix is to map any control on the Drop using the 'configure' button on Ableton Live. Then everything is recalled correctly when loading project. Or you can use the VST version of Drop.
circuit modeling and 0-dfb filters are cool

h4nc0 wrote:Anyone experiencing settings reset when loading project in Ableton Live 9.1.6? The Drop reset its setting to default on load. :(
It should only do that in demo mode.

Works fine with Ableton Live 9 64bit and Windows 8.1 64bit.

penguinfromdeep wrote:
The settings reset on the LP filter on Live / Audio-unit / OS X, other controls should be recalled correctly. It's a bug in Ableton Live, was discussed before in this thread, the fix is to map any control on the Drop using the 'configure' button on Ableton Live. Then everything is recalled correctly when loading project. Or you can use the VST version of Drop.

Thanks for the info! Hopely it will be fixed in the next Live version or the beta.

Satch1 wrote: Aaah, yes the glide knob has cured it, thank you :). I just saw the glide as a way to glide from note to note when key tracking. I didn't realise it could also create lag whilst moving the cutoff directly. I'm finding the 2 pole is best for keeping the cutoff more responsive to movement, as I don't need to apply as much glide.
Great, I'm glad that fixed it! The two pole mode is dynamic, so if you do a slow sweep then it will be very smooth, but as soon as you jump the value it will transition more quickly.
Satch1 wrote:I'm still curious why it's sounding smooth to Mace404, without any glide applied. Is it the same for you Andy? Is it a Win XP issue or a processing power issue? I am running a 6 year old Intel Quadcore @3GHz.

By the way, did you reply to my email? Not a problem if not... just wondering in case I gave you a mis-spelt email address.
I've been very busy and only getting around to replying to non-urgent emails now, sorry for the delay!

If you use drums or some other noisy source you won't notice that filter sweeps aren't as smooth. Also larger processing block sizes will limit the resolution of mouse updates so make sweeps less smooth when using the mouse, but automation should work fine. I usually run at 64 or 128 samples so this isn't an issue for me and everything runs as expected when I use the mouse.

No problem for the delay Andy, I've no doubt you are very busy, so thanks for the reply all the same.

I've got my buffer set at 256 samples so I'll check out a lower setting, out of curiosity really. I'm happy with the results I'm getting by adding some glide. :)

Satch1 wrote:No problem for the delay Andy, I've no doubt you are very busy, so thanks for the reply all the same.

I've got my buffer set at 256 samples so I'll check out a lower setting, out of curiosity really. I'm happy with the results I'm getting by adding some glide. :)
I can't find any email from you, did you use this contact form? www.cytomic.com/contact

Admittedly, I played with the previous demo with an obviously less refined front-end and no presets and liked the sound, but wasn't stoked enough to dig into my wallet.

This final demo though...I'm trying to demonstrate patience, but I will wind up ponying for this. This is the filter I've wanted.

Well done Andy!

andy-cytomic wrote:
Satch1 wrote:No problem for the delay Andy, I've no doubt you are very busy, so thanks for the reply all the same.

I can't find any email from you, did you use this contact form? http://www.cytomic.com/contact
I sent you 2 emails regarding 2 seperate issues - one I sent using the contact form, which was about the smoothing, and another I sent using my email account, which was about the LFO level modulation bug. The latter you've replied to, and the former you've addressed in this thread, so no need to bother about it anymore. Thanks :)

By the way, I tried lower buffer settings but it made no difference. I still needed to apply glide, but, as I said, I'm happy with that. :wink:

Bug report - the pad button has no effect unless audio is passing thru the plugin...

Example - I dropped an instance of The Drop on a track and set the pad to -12db right away, without pressing play on the project. The LED level indicator was flashing red as soon as I hit play (when it should be well in the blue at the -12db setting), and I could hear the clipping... I had to cycle the pad button thru all settings and back to -12db again for the setting to properly take effect (LED in the blue, no clipping audible)

OS X VST v1.04
Yosemite 10.10
Ableton Live 9.1.6

Return to “Effects”