What do you hate about Studio One? What is missing?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Some people have the exact opposite opinion:
metamorphosis wrote:I hate the fact that it sells itself on having a great user interface, when all it has is a great-LOOKING user interface.
Other than that, the workflow isn't really any better than any other DAW I could name.
"A pig that doesn't fly is just a pig."

bludreamsounds wrote:Alright , I just had to battle this midi edit thing . So yes the notes remain in the background and will play them but guess what, any new notes and subsequent key switching will take place from the overlap of 2 notes (like a bass) I had to move the following midi block , extend the ghost note block, edit the overlap notes. All for notes I no longer can see
It really depends on how you prefer to work. I mean, if you quantize everything to the grid you get one result, if you don't you get another result. For the stuff I would typically do, and later split and rearrange midi clips on the arrange timeline, that method of not splitting up notes and/or not changing note positions or not creating new notes that I actually didn't even play and not cutting off notes I did play early, is almost a necessity. If you're doing 4 on the floor stuff, quantize the entry notes and it never comes up, the other thing.

That same behavior exists in Cubase. :shrug: The only real difference with S1 is there is not yet an option to split notes when splitting arrange clips. If you set that option in Cubase... for that early note, you'll get two notes playing afterward where you only played one and you'll still have to go into the other clip and edit the short note out. You might as well just (instead) edit the start times so they aren't a tiny bit early.

But the gripe is still legit in the context of ... "what do - you (any individual) - not personally like" ... if only just because people doing different things often have completely different expectations and preferences. If we all worked the same way and preferred the same things we'd always agree on everything. I mean, just because I may really dislike something in particular about S1 (or any other product) doesn't necessarily mean anyone else will agree with me about that.

Trying to prove that my preference is the only correct thing would clearly be an exercise in futility. :hihi:

Viva le' difference.

I hate the fact that it sells itself on having a great user interface, when all it has is a great-LOOKING user interface. Other than that, the workflow isn't really any better than any other DAW I could name.
Case in point. :) Lots of people feel the exact opposite way, that the workflow is great but the UI is not "inspiring enough" visually to make good music.

That's just how this stuff kinda always goes. Its like asking... "What do you hate about Corvette's?" ... and of course you'll always get a wide range of varying and contrasting opinions like ... "I can't really drive it in the winter here because it's just too low to the ground, the undercarriage would be dragging across hard ice... "... which doesn't really apply to anyone living in Florida. :hihi:

"A pig that doesn't fly is just a pig."

The interface has a long way to go. Studio One has nailed so many of the features that count, and while the interface is functional, it is visually uninspiring.

I have found making events translucent helps improve the look a tiny bit.

Bitwig Certified Trainer

standalone wrote:That explains it all ...
:hihi: That was funny.

My kid went did his undergrad study in DC and they got like 3" of snow one year and the entire city just about completely shut down. To him, coming from Michigan, it was all really, really bizarre. :lol:

What they call "a major snow storm" is like a light dusting here. :)

Currently watching a tutorial video of S1 for band recording. Just great, how easy S1 is for this. I don't know about producing electronic music (I still think Live is better on this one) but for band recording S1 just steals the show. Comping and multitrack audio warping is so easy here and not that cumbersome like with Cubase. Pure rock'n'roll. :)

Man, my HD swap going to an SSD as my second drive has BORKED my studio one :lol: I copied all my projects over to the new drive flawlessly (and they open) but I'm having issues with midi (though I think I've fixed it) and funny graphics. Ugggggg.

I'll try a reinstall later.

billcarroll wrote:The interface has a long way to go. Studio One has nailed so many of the features that count, and while the interface is functional, it is visually uninspiring.

Actually that helps a lot!

my gripes are trivial but, as bukowski once said, it's the small things that send a man to the madhouse. so, naming, this is a real pain sometimes, when you rename a track in the mixer it does not do so in the track list and then there is confusion on objects on the timeline.. gah. i still have problems with confusion over naming and colouring tracks and it starts to interrupt the blessed 'workflow'... i also do not like the backup i.e. autosave, i have lost a few projects simply as i do not know where they are and have lost some just from saying yes to open a backup after a crash only to find it is not the onei was just working on. for now i have to have auto save disabled. also, i would like to see an improved interface for the sampler. ( i have mentioned this before, it really needs to have a way of highlighting samples when editing loops with mutliple slices. the zoom needs improvement to ...
i have to say i still think this is the best daw i have used to date, it's bounce facilities are best and make working a lot faster..
i am sure i have other gripes, but they are all fairly trivial, i think some attention top the gui and these small annoyances will really make it a contender to be top of the pile when it comes to daws on the pc.

Studio One 2.6.4 - now available! It is a maintenance update. Does the cpu seem more stable to you guys? My linear phase eq used to make the cpu meter jump around.

https://forums.presonus.com/viewtopic.php?f=213&t=3123

I'll bite. Upgrading my E drive to SSD f**ked my S1 installation anyways.

No improvements here. CPU seems to be worse. It's official, I'm back to HATING studio one :lol:

Interestingly the problems I was having with crashes were, according to Presonus support, all due to incompatibility with Snow Leopard. Apparently the last 2 updates are for 10.7 up, but I am sticking with Snow Leopard until I finish my present project.
I just use the in program 'check for updates' which makes it easy to download and install. There was never any mention of any OS incompatability.
Even more interestingly I just updated to the latest version of Studio One2 and songs which wouldn't load now load perfectly!

billcarroll wrote:The interface has a long way to go. Studio One has nailed so many of the features that count, and while the interface is functional, it is visually uninspiring.

That did helo alot thanks :tu:

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”