Can't decide between two DAW-s. Please advise.

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ableton is geared towards electronic music production and performance. If the performance part is not something you value and find important, I would say: go with S1. It's cheaper and is a better all-rounder than Live is. Live surely does kick S1's (and pretty much all other DAW's) ass when it comes to creativity, but S1 is a lot better for technical stuff like mixing and mastering. Not saying that you can't master with Live, but Studio One does it a lot better. Also, you find studio one to suit your workflow more, which is the most important part. Go with S1 :)

kuzami wrote:Live surely does kick S1's (and pretty much all other DAW's) ass when it comes to creativity,
No it does'nt...
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

Get Reaper.

S1 sounds better than Live... :wink:

e@rs wrote:S1 sounds better than Live... :wink:
No DAW sounds better than another DAW if you adjust both correctly.

e@rs wrote:S1 sounds better than Live... :wink:
Damn straight... :D
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

DAW's today are all great at this point. Not to beat a dead horse but if your not making it happen with any of these its probably not the software. Live is great and so is S1. I do rock and punk and feel the most at home inside both S1 and Reason(as of version 7). However, I hear people say Ableton is only good for electronic and edm and I don't agree. It can be just as good as the others in the right hands. Studio one is uncluttered, has great effects, and includes a mastering page that allows for a true beginning to end production environment. Reaper also rocks and for the money it really has no competition. Its great for tracking rock too but like the earlier poster mentioned, it wont give you all the extra goodies like most of the others do. For that matter, even though FL Studio definitely doesn't seem geared towards rock musicians, I've recently heard some pretty killer rock tracks done inside of it also. You'll find your fit i'm sure but like most of the rest of us, you'll have to do some trying of several to see what works best for you. Good Luck and Have fun in your search!
Windows 10 PC. Reason. Cubase. Waveform. Reaper. Studio One Pro. Epiphone Les Paul Pro II. Nektar Panorama t4. Yamaha RBX Bass. Faderport 2. Eris E5 Monitors. SSL2 Interface. Audient Evo 4. AKG C214. Aston Origin. MXL 990.

If I had chose between Live and Studio 1 I would pick Studio 1 without hesitation. Period.

Hi!

Well you have to think if you'll eventuly want to play live or not, because it would make you lean toward Ableton Live, I suppose. (wich I don't use, I use Usine and Reaper)

Have a good day!

Bigwig is in between. I know you've probably already eliminated that as an option., but just in case... Hard choice but you cAnt make a wrong choice.

Robmobius wrote:
kuzami wrote:Live surely does kick S1's (and pretty much all other DAW's) ass when it comes to creativity,
No it does'nt...
Pretty sure FLS wins the creativity award. Randomize synth settings, free lifetime updates, x64 and x32 support all-in-one, the way the piano roll works and remembers things, the step sequencer, the replace option, the GUIs, the tools inside the piano roll, the tap tempo feature for the global tempo, the qwerty keyboard to midi... The list goes on.

arkmabat wrote:Randomize synth settings
Nothing creative about that.

I concur that Ableton is geared very much toward performance more than other products.
I have decided that Cubase is the best all around, but REAPER is much cheaper.

Logic X is fantastic and the best value if you are on a Mac. Personally I love the workflow.

Just get Ableton Live 9. It is an industry standard for anything music related these days.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”