Official Serum thread!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

tuzemec wrote:There's just a small annoying thing - some presets are slow to load
Maybe this could be related to this, from the manual : "sub-tables are computed at load-time: Serum
embeds the information for which interpolation type is in use, rather than the interpolated waveforms (which eliminates wasted disk space)."

So they are computed each time when you load the preset.

Okay, so I opened up FL Studio 64 bit and opened the 64bit Serum.
Had to select the preset folder first, then remove the plugin. Add again. Type in serial. Activated.

In the 64 bit version of Fl studio neither the 64 bit or 32 bit version of the plugin work properly. Horrible distortion and cracks in the sound. Looks like something is interfering with the GUI updating fast enough. CPU usage incredibly high. Like 40% for a single note of a bell sound.

Anyway, don't worry about it, that's stuff that Image-line will have to fix. :P

Serum is working perfectly in the 32 bit version of Fl Studio. Both the 32 bit version and the 64bit version of Serum! CPU usage is more then acceptable, comparable to Massive on my laptop with a cheap i5 M450.

"sub-tables are computed at load-time: Serum
embeds the information for which interpolation type is in use, rather than the interpolated waveforms (which eliminates wasted disk space)."
Yes, it's partly the interpolation tables, but it's also the tables themselves (not much difference). given the hi-q nature of Serum you're processing ~48 seconds of audio when you load a wavetable (very high-resolution filtering). There is the potential to speed it up some in the future and I'll be certainly looking in to that for an update, it's my personal #1 desire as improvements go (because it would speed up patch loading as well).
Last edited by bitcrusher on Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xx JPRacer xx wrote:
tuzemec wrote:There's just a small annoying thing - some presets are slow to load
Maybe this could be related to this, from the manual : "sub-tables are computed at load-time: Serum

So they are computed each time when you load the preset.
Thanks, that explains it :-)
Haven't touched the manual yet...

I guess us windows users will just have to buy it to try it. lol

Hi. Steve, images on the Serum product page have false links or were just not uploaded.

I haven't tried it yet. If anyone is familiar with WaveGenerator (PC/Mac version), what do you think about its sound and features in comparison?
blackflag wrote:I guess us windows users will just have to buy it to try it. lol
No, there is a demo.

Later.
"Music is spiritual. The music business is not." - Claudio Monteverdi

Shy wrote:Hi. Steve, images on the Serum product page have false links or were just not uploaded.

I haven't tried it yet. If anyone is familiar with WaveGenerator (PC/Mac version), what do you think about its sound and features in comparison?
blackflag wrote:I guess us windows users will just have to buy it to try it. lol
No, there is a demo.

Later.
The download link is not working for the windows version here, only the mac version.

blackflag wrote:
Shy wrote:Hi. Steve, images on the Serum product page have false links or were just not uploaded.

No, there is a demo.

Later.
The download link is not working for the windows version here, only the mac version.
Works for me, just now. 145MB, Install Xfer Serum Demo.exe?
ABLETON LIVE 12 & PUSH2
Soundcloud: Nation of Korea vs Shitty Dog

Nope, when I click the link it says page not found. The mac link works though.

edit: Nevermind, it's working now! :tu:

Maybe it's a browser cache issue. Try a different browser? The link works, I've got the file right here :)

Eeeeeeeeedit: cool.
ABLETON LIVE 12 & PUSH2
Soundcloud: Nation of Korea vs Shitty Dog

Hey Steve, do you give Serum also to resellers ? I have checked that JRR Shop offers your plugins.
if yes during intro price or after this period ?
Thanks in advance
Synth Anatomy
http://www.synthanatomy.com
Sound Design and Software / IOS Synthesizer Videochannel

I normally don't gush about software synths. I am an old school hardware guy. However . . . .

Serum is Sick.

Sound wise This synth is super clean. Cleaner than Massive, for sure. The GUI is super intuitive. I read the manual, but did not feel like I needed to. Evertyhing is laid out very well. Presets are more than serviceable. CPU usage is low on most patches. It's higher on unison pads and some of the big leads but that's to be expected. Most patches were about 4 to 6 percent.

But here's what's sold me. It's taking any waveform I have thrown at it. Z3ta+2, Francesco Synth Museum, DSF, Synthmaster, Old Rapture Waveforms, you name it, it appears to take it. I'm going to have to go back through my archives and pull up my old waveforms.

I think for now I will keep Massive Separate. I don't see Serum as a replacement but as a compliment. They both do different things, to me anyway. I won't be one of those people scouring the internet for Massive wavetables. I don't see Massive going away from my Synth arsenal.

Now SynthMaster, that may be another story. I'll have to think about it.

I did notice two things.

First, Serum will not read subfolders on the wave tables. They must be on the root of the Tables folder, or in the Users folder. I know it said this in the owner's manual, but it would be a great feature. Some waveform packs like Architectural Waveforms are huge and need the subfolder separation just to make sense of the massive amount of wave forms. For now, I'll just use the simpler waveforms I have that are not split into subfolders.

Second, when you toggle in between oversample settings on Windows 7x64 crashes most hosts. It crashes Cubase, Sonar, VST Host, and Ableton. I don't really see it as a big deal right now because I see oversampling as a set it and forget it thing. But it's something I will report (Should use me as a Windows Beta tester . . . Hint, hint, hint . . .).

Anyway, I'm definitely buying this one.

just gave this a quick blast
it is VERY GOOD
can't afford it atm :(

dave

Steve, loving it so far! Is there a chance of a Phase knob for the LFO's?

Hey Steve, do you give Serum also to resellers ?
No, not in the near future.
I normally don't gush about software synths. I am an old school hardware guy. However . . . .Serum is Sick.
That's awesome to hear I'm glad you like it!
First, Serum will not read subfolders on the wave tables. They must be on the root of the Tables folder, or in the Users folder. I know it said this in the owner's manual, but it would be a great feature
Well in a sense I don't recommend putting non-serum wav's in the WT folder, but rather use your hosts filebrowser and drag-and-drop import. There's a few reasons for this, e.g. if they're single-cycle, you can drag-import multiple files at once to make a more interesting wavetable than one static waveform. If they're not single-cycle, chances are you're going to want the import options that appear on drag/import anyway.
toggle in between oversample settings on Windows 7x64 crashes most hosts.
Hmm, sorry to hear about that- must be a threading issue that my Windows testers didn't catch. I assume you're playing notes while doing that - I think it will not crash when voices in lower-right says 0 (nothing's playing). Should be an easy fix and hopefully easy to work around for the moment. In any case, I'll look in to it ASAP.

Sorry for the webserver woes, we had to move to a big/expensive server to handle the traffic, and changing your server IP (last minute) can do funny things with DNS caching / local caching and the like.
Steve, loving it so far! Is there a chance of a Phase knob for the LFO's?
well, in case you didn't see it yet, you can set the start point of the LFO to anchor to any point with the context-menu (right-click).

-Steve

Return to “Instruments”