Does 'Report this Post' actually do anything?

Any problems with the site? How can we improve KVR?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've reported a number of posts over the last year and can't see any action has ever been taken. I've certainly never received anything from a mod nor been notified despite ticking the 'notify me' box.

Concerns me that some things (yeah, my stoopid long-haired-white-guy-on-a-dinosaur pic) get highlighted while a thread full of fascism and anti-islamic bile just sits there.

Double standards? This isn't me just being sore either, I genuinely like KvR as a forum and would hate to see it targeted by sections of the net (hacked or DoS attack etc) who tend to jump on shit like this.

The general answer is that sometimes mods don't agree that action needs to be taken, sometimes warnings are issued but whatever the reported post is is left there (it's occurred to me before that this isn't ideal; I'll try to remember to somehow make it clear that something's been done, even if that something isn't always what the reporter had in mind), and so on. I've never noticed anything in the reports about notification of the reporter.

In the case of the Market Place thread you're referring to I locked it rather than deleting it because I was at least partly persuaded by jacqueslacouth's notion that "it is important that as many readers as possible get to see this douche nugget for what he is," though by locking it I guess I made impossible the second part of his post (the community sending a message that it was unacceptable). I was torn, made a judgment call. Probably not the right one (and someone upstairs seems to agree: the thread has been moved out of public sight), but that was the thinking behind it anyway.
No longer a moderator.

D.H. Miltz wrote:I was torn, made a judgment call..
I think it is very important that mods give an explanation in the thread why they decided to lock it, also citing the rules to why the action was taken.

Ok, well it's good to know something was done, thanks DH.

I think your logic was fine in this case but as Numanoid said, a comment explaining why it was locked and not removed would help. Else it kind of looks as though 'KvR' aren't interested in moderating topics like that.

Cheers.

I reported 2 posts, and got notified about the actions in both cases. Don't know why it didn't happen in your cases.

Return to “Site Stuff”