Studio One 3?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Studio One Professional

And maybe live 10!!!!!!!!!

ss
Last edited by codec_spurt on Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

I'm happy with it the way it is. If they update it, they update it.
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

codec_spurt wrote:
hibidy wrote:And maybe live 10!!!!!!!!!
There's a cat pic for that.

And another 200 hits.

Will it be you or me?
No more hits of acid for me! I polished off that part of my brain decades ago.

ss

LawrenceF wrote:
The only real advantage to using FX Busses instead of Group Busses in Studio One is a UI advantage. You can drop effects on the send panels and FX Busses are created automatically for you, which is a really nice workflow bit.
There is one more advantage... FX Buses are automatically set to solo-safe, which is what you usually want for an FX Bus.
There's an FR on the table for that actually, a preference option for that, to make Group Busses do just like FX Busses when you drop an effect on a channel... to optionally have that create a Group Bus return, not a FX Bus return.
Sounds a bit strange to me.
Wouldn't it be the much more elegant solution to simply enable sends on FX Buses?

(Btw, I think this whole teaser video, the announcement of the product actually a whole day earlier, and the product itself is an EPIC FAIL.)

Novalis wrote:
There's an FR on the table for that actually, a preference option for that, to make Group Busses do just like FX Busses when you drop an effect on a channel... to optionally have that create a Group Bus return, not a FX Bus return.
Wouldn't it be the much more elegant solution to simply enable sends on FX Buses?
100% agreement from me on this.

Sends on FX buses - I love it!

That's obviously the most logical long term solution, putting sends on the FX busses.

But in context for a young daw that maybe has multiple things it's trying to do the preference for the short term might be a good start - until - they maybe get around to re-building UI parts for the FX busses that actually don't even exist now.

But sure, that's the best solution for the longer term or even now if it's something they'll consider. But I'm working - now - so I could use the preference option now, if it's an easy patch to just preference that. If they do the other thing later and remove the preference, great.

Novalis wrote:
LawrenceF wrote:
The only real advantage to using FX Busses instead of Group Busses in Studio One is a UI advantage. You can drop effects on the send panels and FX Busses are created automatically for you, which is a really nice workflow bit.
There is one more advantage... FX Buses are automatically set to solo-safe, which is what you usually want for an FX Bus.

(Btw, I think this whole teaser video, the announcement of the product actually a whole day earlier, and the product itself is an EPIC FAIL.)
My head is spinning over the busses/fx part. You make kitty scared.

@epic fail. It's almost like when novation announced a revolutionary controller that was exactly the same as the last controller. This might be a little bit better than that actually...

hibidy wrote:My head is spinning over the busses/fx part. You make kitty scared.
I'll explain my most typical context.

When mixing I typically have multiple FX busses for all my returns and also multiple Group Busses acting as intermediaries treating various signals before they get to the FX.

Verb, delays, Waves Doublers, stuff like that on FX returns and multiple group busses staged before the FX returns so I can have lots of flexibility as to what the signal hitting a FX Return is doing. I'll have like 4 -5 Group Busses minimum with delays on them, 50ms, 75ms, 100ms, 130ms, etc, fully wet, where I send signals to those before they hit the FX Returns to help with the illusion of space by having different pre-delays for multiple signals sharing the same verb. Some will also have EQ, some don't.

So I end up with a relative ton of busses. Add one more when I want a touch of bass in the verb and I stage yet another group bus to high pass the bass before it hits the verb, stuff like that. To do that kinda thing you have to have sends on intermediate busses so I have to use Group Busses for those intermediates because FX busses don't have sends.
@epic fail. It's almost like when novation announced a revolutionary controller that was exactly the same as the last controller. This might be a little bit better than that actually...
Lol. :hihi: Imo, it's just random marketing for a company that's not even a public company so I don't care tbh. Otoh, Apple's stock going over a cliff recently is pretty big news. It'll all be forgotten in a few weeks so not sure if it approaches... "epic". :)

That's the net though... where the vast majority don't actually - do - much of anything really, but sit back and severely criticize things that other people do. ;)

P.S. Somewhere, on another forum, someone called one of my little add on tools an Epic Fail. He said it as if I would actually ever give a shit what he thinks. :hihi:

hibidy wrote: @epic fail. It's almost like when novation announced a revolutionary controller that was exactly the same as the last controller. This might be a little bit better than that actually...
Lol, never heard of that one.
Maybe that was the revolution, that no revolution took place :hihi:

Guys, please don't be angry with me, but I have to say this:
it's a BUS, with one S, and not BUSS.

Yes, I know that even some companies call it a Buss, but it's just plain nonsense.
Somebody made this mistake once, and then others started to repeat it, and so on and on... :(
It's time that somebody starts to correct it.

@ Lawrence

Would you really prefer to work with a touch-screen instead of real faders and knobs?
I can imagine that after 1-2 hours your arms will start to have a cramp.
Not to mention the completely different feeling using it.

I hate that everything has to be "touch-shit" nowadays, just like on the new Komplete controllers... no real pitch- and mod-wheel anymore, just touch-strips.

Sorry for the double-rant :scared:

Novalis wrote:Would you really prefer to work with a touch-screen instead of real faders and knobs?
Well... just because the guy in the ad was using a touch screen to mix doesn't mean I would, or that anyone has to. I mostly use the mouse now and I assume I could do the same there. I have a FaderPort and that's about it.

My d8b is just a big central hub for the studio, and something that removes monitor latency from the equation when tracking, and has some of the stuff that recording consoles have that DAW's don't have for that role, I don't actually mix on it anymore. Haven't in some years.

If they tie S1 into that thing (and the guy with the Taliban beard made some comments along those lines on FB) that will make it more clear for me.

At any rate, just because something - can - be controlled via touch doesn't always mean it can - only - be controlled via touch. :hihi:

I see, I somehow thought this can be used with a touch-screen exclusively.

At home, I agree that a console doesn't make much sense anymore...

But at a live show? I think the ability to quickly grab a fader and pull it down to zero super-fast in some emergency-situation, is a BIG plus.
Just as one example.
It remains to be seen if this new concept will be accepted by live engineers, or not.

Yeah, I don't do FOH. It's an entirely different beast / skillset. I did it once as a favor for a buddy putting on a small talent show at the local uni here and (predictably) it didn't turn out so well. :hihi:

The studio environment is subject to being easily tightly controlled, not so much in the live arena, all kinds of bad unexpected shit happens and there are no "do overs". :)

Novalis wrote:Would you really prefer to work with a touch-screen instead of real faders and knobs?
I can imagine that after 1-2 hours your arms will start to have a cramp.
Not to mention the completely different feeling using it.

I hate that everything has to be "touch-shit" nowadays, just like on the new Komplete controllers... no real pitch- and mod-wheel anymore, just touch-strips.

Sorry for the double-rant :scared:
The selling points of that new mixer concept, as explained on the video that LawrenceF mentions are:

- It can be carried inside a case (touch screen + rack)

- It's half the price than the competition.

Both are stellar for new, small bands on tour. I can't see the epic fail anywhere. And I don't understand why people mocks a hardware company for announcing a new hardware product. Just because it is not software, like they were expecting.
"A pig that doesn't fly is just a pig."

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”