Reason 8 - Official

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Reason 12

sellyoursoul wrote: As a small example: Open a third party daw and launch Reason as a rewire slave. Set up Reason Drum Kits (or similar refill) for multi-out to the hardware interface. In the same project, set up Kong for multi-out to the hardware interface. Save this setup however you like (with future use in mind) and close Reason and the third party daw. Restart the 3rd party daw with Reason rewired, record a few tracks in Reason, and load up the NN-XT multi-out and Kong multi-out tracks in whatever way you like... As a rewire user, would you want to go through the process of setting up this same routing configuration every time that you start a new project?
Yes, if you're midway through a project and then decide you want to wire up a random 16-out Kong to the rewire outputs then you'll need to connect the cables manually. My previous point was that for someone who rewires regularly, you'd begin a project by loading up multi-out templates already set up in advance so this wouldn't be necessary. Even if you didn't though, you only have to do it once for that project and how much time are we really talking about here? 30 seconds? A minute? I spend more time than that just trying to think of a name for my songs. :)

Tronam wrote:
sellyoursoul wrote: As a small example: Open a third party daw and launch Reason as a rewire slave. Set up Reason Drum Kits (or similar refill) for multi-out to the hardware interface. In the same project, set up Kong for multi-out to the hardware interface. Save this setup however you like (with future use in mind) and close Reason and the third party daw. Restart the 3rd party daw with Reason rewired, record a few tracks in Reason, and load up the NN-XT multi-out and Kong multi-out tracks in whatever way you like... As a rewire user, would you want to go through the process of setting up this same routing configuration every time that you start a new project?
Yes, if you're midway through a project and then decide you want to wire up a random 16-out Kong to the rewire outputs then you'll need to connect the cables manually. My previous point was that for someone who rewires regularly, you'd begin a project by loading up multi-out templates already set up in advance so this wouldn't be necessary. Even if you didn't though, you only have to do it once for that project and how much time are we really talking about here? 30 seconds? A minute? I spend more time than that just trying to think of a name for my songs. :)
What you say makes absolute sense...outside of the context of actually using Reason rewired on a regular basis. I could rant about using rewire. Wait for this thing to load, route that...as the screen scrolls up and down, go in preferences to change MIDI settings because Reason makes no distinction between standalone and rewire, juggle two sets of key commands because Reason doesn't allow for custom key commands, shuffle tracks between daws...everything is ok within the confines of the walled garden, until you need something from outside...so just use rewire...yea. :pray:

sellyoursoul wrote:
Tronam wrote:
What you say makes absolute sense...outside of the context of actually using Reason rewired on a regular basis. I could rant about using rewire...wait for this thing to load, route that...as the screen scrolls up and down, go in preferences to change MIDI settings because Reason makes no distinction between standalone and rewire, change controller mapping...because no MIDI remapping either, juggle two sets of key commands...because Reason doesn't allow for custom key commands, shuffle tracks between daws...everything is ok within the confines of the walled garden, until you need something from outside...so just use rewire...yea. :pray:

sellyoursoul wrote: What you say makes absolute sense...outside of the context of actually using Reason rewired on a regular basis. I could rant about using rewire. Wait for this thing to load, route that...as the screen scrolls up and down, go in preferences to change MIDI settings because Reason makes no distinction between standalone and rewire, juggle two sets of key commands because Reason doesn't allow for custom key commands, shuffle tracks between daws...everything is ok within the confines of the walled garden, until you need something from outside...so just use rewire...yea. :pray:
I can take all that. What I can't take is the lack of multicore support when rewire (w Live and Logic). Maybe able to squeak by with only built-in racks but once you use RE the whole thing go south quick. I know Live has that rewire multicore support thing but it's always grey-ed out!

I wonder if the presenter in the video actually is speech software?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hl9MNgJAbXc

No way. :) They just use some kind of glitch effect on the voice sometimes. I must admit that he sounds a bit machine like though.

Numanoid wrote:I wonder if the presenter in the video actually is speech software?
chk071 wrote:No way. :) They just use some kind of glitch effect on the voice sometimes. I must admit that he sounds a bit machine like though.
That's actually Frank Sanderson. He does work for many other companies, too:

http://www.voicespro.com/aa/view.php?uid=169353
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

I'm glad he is human actually. The thought of having such an advanced speech software is quite scary tbh. :hihi:

Yeah, Frank's a swell guy. I've actually had the pleasure of meeting him in person.

The old Reason Pianos ReFill ad still cracks me up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrgJkY9E11s

eXode wrote:The old Reason Pianos ReFill ad still cracks me up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrgJkY9E11s
They've always had a great sense of humour. I love their Pulsar vid! :D
(And I'm still hoping that that's what the Reason 8 upgrade intro video is :( ... ...just a joke...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdd0OfMghTA

softska wrote:
sellyoursoul wrote: What you say makes absolute sense...outside of the context of actually using Reason rewired on a regular basis. I could rant about using rewire. Wait for this thing to load, route that...as the screen scrolls up and down, go in preferences to change MIDI settings because Reason makes no distinction between standalone and rewire, juggle two sets of key commands because Reason doesn't allow for custom key commands, shuffle tracks between daws...everything is ok within the confines of the walled garden, until you need something from outside...so just use rewire...yea. :pray:
I can take all that. What I can't take is the lack of multicore support when rewire (w Live and Logic). Maybe able to squeak by with only built-in racks but once you use RE the whole thing go south quick. I know Live has that rewire multicore support thing but it's always grey-ed out!
just to confirm something, it's not a logic or live limitation with rewire, it's the rewire protocol. It stacks on one core in any host i have ever tested it on (and that's alot of hosts lol). Cheers

Work faster with Reason 8 they say.

So it is all hard labour, and no fun and play anymore? :(

"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

Actually with this video I start to change my mind regarding upgrading it...

Seems really a huge work done on the full process and not just a tiny changes there and there, starts to looks much better to me than the ableton browser imo... After i still have to try before a final rate on that, but looks quite promising more than first vid...

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”