Zyklus Improvisor, real-time harmonic sequencer

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

If people want to join the Zyklus Improvisor Yahoo users group to obtain the program, it's best they send me a PM that has an email address included that's is known to Yahoo, in other words you have to be a member of Yahoo first. Without that email address I can't send the invitation.

I would love to try this out. Please send me an invite to the yahoo group.
Thanks,
--JAIDY
--addicted to VSTs --

Looks really good.I'd love to try it out
Please send me dwnl link etc
I have Yahoo acct
Thanks

Hi Bronswerk,

I've just found this thread and am VERY interested in trying out Zyklus. I write and record a lot of Berlin School style music using a combination of vintage hardware and VSTi synths and this looks like the perfect live improvisation tool.

If you would be kind enough to send me an invite to your group, that would be much appreciated. :tu:

You can found the software here (see the comments) and don't forget to like ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpWmeHX ... pjk0xi8zLg

I've read through several pages but I still can't tell WHAT this thing does or the best way to use it. Does it require additional software (people were mentioning Max for Ableton Live)? Do I need to record sequences and play them back through this program, or will it trigger sequences based on how I set it up?

Basically, that demo sounds beautiful, but I have no idea how to use it.

First, you don't need any additional software other then the Java Runtime Environment (jre6 or jre7, it depends a bit on what system you are). It was originally developed under Windows XP using jre6, but I'm now on Windows 7 64-bit using jre 7 and it runs fine. Other users reported however some trouble using jre7, but jre6 did it.

Improvisor is best treated as an 8-track midi looper. You can record and loop on the fly midi notes, say a loop for 2 bars, after the first recording it will automatically loop and you can still record on top of it if you like.

Since there's a "harmonizer" on board you are able to change key and scale what you have just recorded in real time just by hitting chords on your keyboard, like you would do as on ordinary keyboard arranger.

Using it with a daw is probably a good thing so you can record your performance and edit it afterwards. In that case you will need some kind of virtual midi loopback program like MidiYoke or LoopBe to establish an connection between Improvisor and your daw.

That's basically it.
Bert. (developer Improvisor)

Thank you for the quick reply, Bert!

I think I understand most of that (I'm on Win7 64-bit with JRE7, so hopefully it will work).

As far as recording/playback, do I need to have a VST routed into Improvisor to generate sounds, or do I just record notes into it, then route it into a channel in my DAW (Ableton, for example) that's hosting a VST that can generate sound?

I think using it with Ableton Live is the smart thing to do.
A simple example:

Keyboard Midi Out > Improvisor Midi In, using your midi interface
Improvisor records and loops.
Improvisor Midi Out > Virtual Midi In
Virtual Midi Out > Live In
Live > Vst > Audio out

Since there are 8 slots (lingo for track) and each slot has its own specific midi out, you can use Improvisor as a master keyboard controller too.

Yep you record only midi Data.
By the way i am on win7 X64bits and it works very well.

Thanks, all. I will probably have more questions, but I look forward to trying this out soon!

You' ll surely have :)

Since a week or so I'm finally working on a version 2 of Improvisor. This version will be more advanced yet simpler in use, although a program like Improvisor is never really that simple.
v2-perf-page.png
There will be 8 independent sequences available. Each sequence has its own playback parameters like loop length (in beats), speed etc. The sequencer in itself has 2 play modes: Multi and Matrix. A play mode defines how sequences are related to slots. When play mode set to “Multi”, a single sequence has a multi-timbral behaviour, it can record midi events coming from all available slots if their “Thru” button is activated. On playback a sequence will transmit its data to the (as recorded!) slots if the appropriate slot has set its “Listen” button to active. A Listen button is actually a mute button in reverse. In “Matrix” play mode a single sequence no longer has a multi-timbral (or slot specific) behaviour, instead it will send its data to all slots and each slot can pick it up if its Listen button is set to active.

So, in contrast to v1 a single sequence is no longer tightly connected to a specific slot; the combination of sequencer play modes (Multi or Matrix) and the 8 Listen buttons that each slot has will determine how sequencer data is routed to the slots.

Setting up of midi-ins and midi-outs will be a lot simpler. Each slot will get its own independent midi-in and midi-out port/channel setting instead of some generic in/out layer.

What will be no longer there?

The 8 arpeggiators are gone. I'm not sure if people used them much and the interaction between sequences and the harmonizer is capable of producing very similar results.

The sounddatabase system with the correct midi bank and program change messages is no longer there too. Quite a hassle to make it work.

The 3 keyboards will be gone too. Who has the time to look at them anyway when in the heat of the moment? :D

All in all the focus will be on the sequencer stuff. Since coding has yet to be started it will take "some time".
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I have no idea how any of that stuff works but it looks amazing!

Are anybody using this on a recent Mac with OSX 10.9.4?

I have installed the app and the font and when I try to start the program it quits unexpected at once.
Best regards!

Return to “Instruments”