Why is dvd vob-files not supported in hosts/anywhere?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi

What is the deal with VOB-files and why are they not readable directly in video formats, just about anywhere?

I had some Nero thingy once, and it had to convert VOB to mpg files first.

Is it copyright/patent reasons or what?

You cannot just drop a dvd into a daw or anything really.
Maybe Premiere or something, I don't remember.

But mpg, mp4 and others are supported.

What is reason for this?

Thanks.

VOB is a container.

DAWs require a video format that has a codec for playback / encoding the format.

VOB contains MEPG-2 video, can contain the menus', pictures etc that are found on a DVD.

you can convert / rip the VOB on a DVD to a format that your DAW will support and then use that converted video in the DAW.

if you are using a commercial copyrighted DVD then the VOB is probably protected.

if someone is giving you a DVD they created so you can score to the video ask them to give you a format that your DAW supports and don't go the DVD path.

Well, why should DVD support be implemented? The obvious ways of usage would be either a video or audio editor, or something which combines both. So Premiere would be rather your best bet.

Premeire cannot read the DVD VOB format. well, not really.

VOB is not a file format persay, it is a container containing different markers for the contained content of a DVD.

That is why you cannot just throw any old DVD into your DAW and work away.

just like you cannot use your DAW to read a Audio CD, you have to rip/convert he audio on a CD to a format that your DAW supports.

Alright, so the question should rather be why the DAW can't read movie DVD's i guess.

Depending on the country they would probably have to license some sort of DeCSS from whatever authority hands out licenses to decrypt the video. Since that use case is probably very tiny, its not really cost effective to do so. As said before its not a format, just a container, so if it just contains mpeg2 video and is not encrypted then you can pull it out yourself and work with it.

MachineClaw wrote:VOB is a container.

DAWs require a video format that has a codec for playback / encoding the format.

VOB contains MEPG-2 video, can contain the menus', pictures etc that are found on a DVD.

you can convert / rip the VOB on a DVD to a format that your DAW will support and then use that converted video in the DAW.

if you are using a commercial copyrighted DVD then the VOB is probably protected.

if someone is giving you a DVD they created so you can score to the video ask them to give you a format that your DAW supports and don't go the DVD path.
Thanks for explaining.
The project file for a daw also contains many things.
Why doesn't daw simply collect the stuff in VOB and extract that?
Nero did that, and why not daws?
Some are protected as you say - but not all - I noticed in Nero too.

You have to go to separate software to get that done - just that extra step.
AnyVideoConverter Free do it - but just curious about this step needed for daws with video support.
I would like to pick a piece from a film and try and make my own score on that - practise really doing music to video. There is everything there in daw - except reading the darn vob.
Last edited by lfm on Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Likely because a DAW is the start point and DVD the end point in a regular workflow. I think nobody ever considered the way back because of that.

chk071 wrote:Alright, so the question should rather be why the DAW can't read movie DVD's i guess.
That's right, in one sentence that is it.

BDeep wrote:Likely because a DAW is the start point and DVD the end point in a regular workflow. I think nobody ever considered the way back because of that.
But aren't CD's also considered the end point, if not score - and every daw reads cds.

ezelkow1 wrote:Depending on the country they would probably have to license some sort of DeCSS from whatever authority hands out licenses to decrypt the video. Since that use case is probably very tiny, its not really cost effective to do so. As said before its not a format, just a container, so if it just contains mpeg2 video and is not encrypted then you can pull it out yourself and work with it.
Any Video Converter Free do that, so it might not be licensed that high if so.

Why does not daws video reader pull it out?
You got just about any file extension supported - but VOB?

Usually the dvd is a number of VOB-files, but still.

Just curious about this - why they overlook VOB.

They do MPEG in mpg format - why not extract in from VOB and convert it for you?
Last edited by lfm on Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Do they? Maybe there are DAWs that let you rip cd's, but I don't think I've seen it.
Besides, you're probably one of the very few who wants this, if everybody did this daily it surely would've been implemented.

BDeep wrote:Do they? Maybe there are DAWs that let you rip cd's, but I don't think I've seen it.
Besides, you're probably one of the very few who wants this, if everybody did this daily it surely would've been implemented.
Reaper, Tracktion, Sonar and Cubase I know support reading directly from a cd.
Don't remember, but think StudioOne too.

Usually called Import Cd or similar.

Could be I'm the only one - but I hardly think so.

Im surprised DVD region codes havent been mentioned, and im guessing it plays a part in DAWs not reading dvd's. Sure theres workarounds, and region-free dvd's, but that type of thing (workarounds) is usually found in the dirtier end of the web. Most of the big boys (ie: MS) even try to limit the number of times you can change your region.

To keep it legit, and probably not bring flak from other companies, DAWs would need to have 6 versions of their software, for each region.

Somewhat OT, has anyone ever played a disc from one region on a player of another, where the disc was allowed to play? Some strange things can happen / be revealed.

KVR Audio Forum Signature is currently unavailable for your web browser.

I thought the region thing was up to the dvd drive itself. I know previously, its been a long time since i looked at it, if you go into the device settings for a dvd drive that many of them allow you to change the region there. But as you said most of the time you are limited to something like 6 changes and after that you are locked to a region

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”