IK Multimedia SampleTank 3.0 warning - it's 64-bit only

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I just bought and downloaded SampleTank 3 to update my SampleTank 2.5 setup.

After a few unsuccessful attempt to scan the plugin in Tracktion 5, my DAW of choice, I realized that the plugin wrongfully installed the 64 bit version. Or so I thought...

I wrote IK Multimedia about the problem only to be told that the plugin ONLY comes in 64 bit version !?!

So beware if you intend to buy this plugin, there is NO 32 bit version !

Of course there was no mention of this fact in the advertizement at the time of purchase...

I always thought IK Multimedia was a reputable company and did not expect them to hide this "feature".

So I just had a $100 lesson.

Be warned !

:lol:
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

Well, there's like a 130 page thread also on the first page saying how much it sucks. You could've just posted this there.

mpoirier wrote:Of course there was no mention of this fact in the advertizement at the time of purchase...
http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/sampletank3/

Available as standalone and 64-bit plug-in for AAX, VST and Audio Units platforms on Mac OS X and Windows...

It does not say "64-bit only plug-in".

Usually plugins are 32 bit "by default"...

Usually, yes. But ST3 is something special... ;)

It doesn't say 32bit either.

But to be honest, this should be the least problem with it (can be bridged in either way). We're more concerned regarding included sample quality, program stability and usability...

IKM should have done a public beta period first.

I copied the DLL into the 32-bit plug-in folder, and I have it working in 32-bit hosts. Maybe you can try this.
Fernando (FMR)

Without bridging? That's interesting. Which host, if I may ask?

Thanks,

It was Sonar X3, but VSTHost too, if I'm not mistaken. I'm not near my computer now, so, I cannot say for sure. It was last weekend, when I installed ST3, and was performing a series of tests. Since I noticed it just installed in the 64-bit folder, I had that crazy idea of copying it.
Fernando (FMR)

mpoirier wrote:It does not say "64-bit only plug-in".

Usually plugins are 32 bit "by default"...
Sorry mate, but you can't take anything for granted.

Usually 32 bit plugs will do the job well enough, but when it comes to processing large amounts of samples, tweaking in realtime, it becomes more or less a necessity to have access to more than 4GB RAM, something that a 64 bit plug will do.

So if your computer has more than 4GB RAM, wanting to use Stank 3 or other heavy software like Omnisphere in 32 bit mode, is like driving a car with the handbrake on.

mpoirier wrote:After a few unsuccessful attempt to scan the plugin in Tracktion 5, my DAW of choice, I realized that the plugin wrongfully installed the 64 bit version. Or so I thought...
Tracktion doesn't support 64 bit plugs? :o

As the adline goes, that is indeed different in this day and age:

"Have a look at Tracktion and see what makes it so different!"

Numanoid wrote:
mpoirier wrote:After a few unsuccessful attempt to scan the plugin in Tracktion 5, my DAW of choice, I realized that the plugin wrongfully installed the 64 bit version. Or so I thought...
Tracktion doesn't support 64 bit plugs? :o
The 32-but version doesn't. The 64-bit version does. Kinda obvious really.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Numanoid wrote: Tracktion doesn't support 64 bit plugs? :o

As the adline goes, that is indeed different in this day and age:

"Have a look at Tracktion and see what makes it so different!"
I, too, find it odd that the 32bit version of Tracktion doesn't support 64bit plugins. The 64bit version of Tracktion does. For some reason, none of my 12bit custom coded MIPS IRIX plugins seem to work on ANY of my 64bits DAWS. I can't imagine why.

whyterabbyt wrote:The 32-but version doesn't. The 64-bit version does. Kinda obvious really.
OK, so if the OP had Tracktion 64 bit installed he would be able to launch Stank 3?

But he will then not be able to load 32 bit plugs?

hueynym wrote:For some reason, none of my 12bit custom coded MIPS IRIX plugins seem to work on ANY of my 64bits DAWS. I can't imagine why.
Obvious, really. Your MIPS system has clearly been running in big-endian mode. Total noob mistake, but easy to sort out; if you install Tracktion facing the other way, it should all work fine.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Return to “Instruments”