April Contest: Gossip

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

^Deleted.
No longer a moderator.

4 years in KVR contest. I should do a party with music and beer all the night long, It's a pitty I can't invite you, you're so far....

Down to the wire with this one, but my entry's in at last!

DEN GRIMME AELLING (THE UGLY DUCKLING)
comprising Parade of the Hatchlings - Lament in Winter Wilderness - Transformation and Flying Home

A classic programmatic piece retelling the story of "the ugly duckling". (The bassoon is the ugly duckling, the other woodwinds chime in as the rest of the swans towards the end; you get the idea.)

Now, "programmatic music" and "maximum length 3 minutes" are not really concepts well suited to one another, but I managed to crowbar three different sections in there anyway: The first 30 seconds were finished at the beginning of the month, but the rest was only cobbled together in the past few days using a compositional technique I like to call "sod it, that'll do". (Named after a similar method for cleaning your house, invented by Jo Brand.)
pethu.se/music-releases
Not a part of the loudness war!

Dang, and it's 25th already. Didn't make it. :( I'm glad you guys at least broke the two-digits barrier.
And would you believe pethu, my first choice was The Ugly Duckling too! (but represented by a wah guitar instead of your bassoon)
Cheers Matt
Every time you use autotune, God kills a kitten.
Please, think of the kittens.

It will not affect my scoring because I actually do not really care but "The Ugly Duckling" and "The Little Match Girl" are tales , not fairy tales which imply the presence of some fantastic creature. I would accept that Red Riding Hood ´s wolf is fantastic enough.
I am actually surprised no one used any excerpt from the Bible , God being the biggest fairy present in our occidental society and culture . Even some adults believe in it. Some adults would also passionately like to get rid ( by any means ) of other adults ( and their kids too ) who believe in different fairies .This world is an amazing place , don ´t you think ?

Hm well, Matchgirl could be explained by hallucinations, but I think they take such a large part of the whole story that it satisfies the fantasy requirement. There's however some magical animals cameos in the Duckling story, the gold-egg laying goose et al.
Every time you use autotune, God kills a kitten.
Please, think of the kittens.

I do not recall any golden egg laying goose in the "Duckling" story which is actually more akin to a fable with its speaking animals and (actually quite troubling - stay with your own?) morality content . But again it does not really matter. It is possible at a stretch to assimilate the dead grandmother to some fairy in the "Match Girl" story . Thinking about it I just remember how much I hated this f...ing miserable story as a child.

Submissions thread is locked, voting thread is up.

Next month:
The big school dance is coming up, and this month you're asked to submit music for it. (What the big school dance is—prom, homecoming, Sadie Hawkins, etc—and what year it is are up to you.)
No longer a moderator.

Big School Dance !!! . This sounds so American, all I can picture right now is pig´s blood running down Carrie´s face.

me too : )

Is it the phrasing or the thing itself that sounds so American?
No longer a moderator.

Thanks for the review, Mister Natural.
No longer a moderator.

D.H. Miltz wrote:Is it the phrasing or the thing itself that sounds so American?
It is just the "thing". The big school dance for us Europeans is , I believe , totally associated with American teenage movies and tv series : Grease , American Graffiti , Back to the Future , Carrie , etc ...
No direct knowledge or understanding of the "thing".
I might be wrong and there might be school dances in some European countries or may be the americanisation of our society has led to the appearance of such events on the old continent. Another option is that I was raised in the woods where no such " thing " happened .
Actually curious to find out from other participants what their experience is on the subject.

BTW , thanks Mr N. for the comments.

ClaRago wrote: It is just the "thing". The big school dance for us Europeans is , I believe , totally associated with American teenage movies and tv series : Grease , American Graffiti , Back to the Future , Carrie , etc ...
I might be wrong and there might be school dances in some European countries or may be the americanisation of our society has led to the appearance of such events on the old continent,
+1: Nothing like it when I grew up here in Sweden, though I think the evening of the high school graduation might be dangerously close to turning into a similar "thing" in our bigger cities now...
pethu.se/music-releases
Not a part of the loudness war!

pethu wrote:
ClaRago wrote: It is just the "thing". The big school dance for us Europeans is , I believe , totally associated with American teenage movies and tv series : Grease , American Graffiti , Back to the Future , Carrie , etc ...
I might be wrong and there might be school dances in some European countries or may be the americanisation of our society has led to the appearance of such events on the old continent,
+1: Nothing like it when I grew up here in Sweden, though I think the evening of the high school graduation might be dangerously close to turning into a similar "thing" in our bigger cities now...
Same here in England. Mind you, when I was a lad there was very little entertainment at all put on specifically for school kids.
It wasn't me! (well, actually, it probably was) - apparently now an 'elderly' so maybe I forgot!

Return to “Music Cafe”