Channel Matrix FRs

Official support for: rs-met.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi there,
I have a couple FRs for Channel Matrix, maybe you might at least consider them in the future?

- FR: At least 4in-4out
This would be very useful in modular environments

- FR: Automatable controls
It would be great if the controls could be adjusted with the mouse (faders maybe?), available to automation and/or midi-controlled, instead of (or in addition to) being precise numeric fields. This would allow new and creative uses for mixing, live performance, etc etc.

- FR: Unipolar/bipolar controls
If the previous FR is implemented, it would be almost necessary to have a global option to toggle between unipolar and bipolar controls i.e. when automating you'd probably want a range from 0 to 1 instead of from -1 to 1.

Just my 0.02 anyway... and in any case thanks for all the great (and sometimes unique) plugins, they're much appreciated.
The mind boggles.

well, a 4x4 (or larger) matrix plugin would certainly be straightforward to implement, but i think it should then be a separate plugin because i think, the simple 2x2 case should not be cluttered with all the additional stuff that would be required then. but what would be the potential uses for it?

the reason why i opted for number-entry fields instead of sliders is that i didn't want to restrict the range of values that can be entered - if you want a boost by a million or so (120 dB) - there you go.

in order to have sliders and unrestricted parameter ranges at the same time, i would have to introduce something like additional range-parameters (such as in FuncShaper for the a,b,c,d parameters). i thought, that would be too much clutter for such a little tool.

hmm...soo...bottom line: i actually want to keep the 2x2 Matrix in its simple form but i could consider to make a larger matrix as new plugin if there are good uses for it. i currently can't see what i would want to use that for, though. could you be more specific about the "new and creative uses for mixing, live performance, etc etc."?
My website: rs-met.com, My presences on: YouTube, GitHub, Facebook

OK I totally get your point about 2x2 and numeric values with infinite ranges. Still, what I had in mind is different, focusing on being able to control the parameters through midi or automation which would be useful in all kinds of situations, the actual number of channels being kinda secondary... of course for this you would need contorls with limited ranges, basically 0-1.

I can think of some uses off the top of my head, mostly in modular environments... granted most of them can be achieved by other methods (using several instances of other plugins and complex routing, or taking advantage of features that some hosts might have while others might not), but a 4x4 automatable matrix would make them so much faster and easier to implement... let me see:

- Fast A-B comparisons of EQs, compressors or any plugin (either different plugins or different instances/settings of the same plugin)

- Easy automatable routing of a single signal to different fx chains, for example a guitar track with different setups for verse/chorus/bridge

- Sends and busses i.e. simple summing of several signals arbitrarily... for example you can mix a drum kit into a single buss to apply buss compression, or set up a unique reverb send for various sources

- Layering i.e. sending the same signal to different outs to be processed differently or viceversa, for example a guitar track with separate eqing and fx panned hard-left and hard-right, or 2 separate kicks layered into a single track so they can be processed together

- Vector synthesis i.e. set up a XY pad with judicious mapping of controls and control ranges and you got yourself a rudimentary vector synthesis method where you can use ANY sound sources

- Morphing / wavesequencing, similar to vector synthesis, but with a linear controller instead of a XY pad

- Crossfading for live/dj applications

- Real-time remixing of different drum tracks or loops

- All sorts of glitch and FSU stuff, such as complex gating, creating fast on/off sequences for adding noises and "artifacts" to a source... I don't know, even generative/algorithmic control of the active signal paths... I remember there was a plugin that rhythmically "arpeggiated" its input through its different outputs and viceversa... stuff like that, you could use any weird midi generator or controller to control routing

- Complex modulation of different signal levels, using for example your own MultiModulator's midi out

I suggested 4x4 but it could be any number of inputs/outputs... I just thought 4 stereo ins and outs (or 8 mono ins and outs) is a manageable number of controls but still very flexible. But I understand now that perhaps it's not optimal to make the current 2x2 channel matrix different and more complicated...

Anyway, as i said it's just a thought :)
The mind boggles.

Return to “rs-met”