Where to start?!

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I guess I'll start off with the first code related thread.

Alright, as of this forum opening up, all I can think of is starting to learn code for plug in applications. (Being slighty sarcastic :D )

Where should I start?

What are the most commonly used languages for this type of programming?

Am I a geek for wanting to even start such a endevour or just kidding myself?

Well, the answer to the geek question is another question - are you a coder? If you are looking to learn coding so you can write plug-ins, I think you are jumping in the deep end.

The answer to the language question is C++ - that's what the Steinberg SDK is written in.

http://www.kvr-vst.com/get/502.html
"Talking about music is like fishing about
architecture" - Frank Zappa

Where should I start?
Decide if you want to write DXi's or VSTi's. Then use the links in the Sticky to get the SDK you want. Personally I'd go for the Steinberg one for VSTi and the Cakewalk one for DXi.
What are the most commonly used languages for this type of programming?

Now comes the hard bit, yor going to need a compiler, I'm not sure about VSTs but DXi will need Microsoft Visual Studio 6. You'll open a whole world of pain if you try and start with visual .net ! Some might advice to try Delphi and there is some good support kits for this, however you'll get less help from Steinberg or Cakewalk if you go that way. (IMHO)

If you've got the SDK start by working through the tutorials, both VST and DX kits come with tutorials and sample programs.

Once you've done that your on your own. Personally I think the best wayto start is to begin with a simple FX unit before moving on to synths or midi FX. Things get a whole lot more complicated once you get into anything that involves MIDI or generating sound.

Andy C[/quote]
Music from the cut and paste generation
http://www.myspace.com/rtwoproject

For VST development, you can use Dev-C++ - a GPL'd C++ development IDE (written in Delphi for heaven's sake). I posted some handy bits over in the stick at the top of the forum.

I know this was mentioned before, but I found delphi to be a really good starting point for learning to code. I think the transition to C++ is somewhat easier with a delphi background. Although you'll have to ditch bad habbits and learn a whole new set of bad habbits as a result. :lol:
ModuLR / Radio

I would suggest starting with delphi... I am just now learning the ide and must sya I wish I started out with this. Makes oop concepts much more tidy and quicker to grasp. Also the rad style of development is certainly much better for beginners. Once you desire a bit more power and manual work you should move the C++, then learn asm and probabaly python along the way...

-R :) bert

perrottjones wrote:Well, the answer to the geek question is another question - are you a coder? If you are looking to learn coding so you can write plug-ins, I think you are jumping in the deep end.

The answer to the language question is C++ - that's what the Steinberg SDK is written in.

http://www.kvr-vst.com/get/502.html
I do have some programming under my belt, however not for audio applications. I know limited C++ (haven't used it in 5 years) and I know visual basic.net.
R2Project wrote:Now comes the hard bit, yor going to need a compiler, I'm not sure about VSTs but DXi will need Microsoft Visual Studio 6. You'll open a whole world of pain if you try and start with visual .net !
Andy C
The .net family is big. Which do you refer to, or, am I not understanding you?

you can get delphi 6 personal edition for free. It will do everything you need....

someone have a link for it?

-R :) bert

R2Project wrote: You'll open a whole world of pain if you try and start with visual .net !
Has anybody written any VST code with Visual.NET using VB.NET or C#? I'd love to see how that could be done, since those languages are easy once you set up everything.

Haven't written VST code with it, but at my workplace we're writing our 3D game engine as a DLL in C++ (unmanaged code), and the dev client is C#.NET .

Other than our version having bugs that have supposedly been fixed by the latest service pack, it works just fine for plain old non .NET C++

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”