Oberheim TEO-5 Leaked

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Is this perhaps the first fully Novation led DSI synth? I wonder if the DSI team have been able to gain technically from this partnership and if it impacts the synth in any way.

I expect it's to the OB6, what the Take 5 was to the prophet 6, but I also wonder if it gained any peak/summit technology.

_leras wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 11:01 am Is this perhaps the first fully Novation led DSI synth? I wonder if the DSI team have been able to gain technically from this partnership and if it impacts the synth in any way.

I expect it's to the OB6, what the Take 5 was to the prophet 6, but I also wonder if it gained any peak/summit technology.
The Take5 has little in common with the Prophet 6. The Take5 has the Prophet5 chip(s).
Likewise, the TEO-5 will have little to do with the OB-6 because it'll surely use the X8 chip and then a similar package as the Take5 with a new coat of paint, making a relatively inexpensive new synth with a high profit margin.

The OB-6 and Prophet 6 oscillators are each on a separate card that slot into the motherboard, which is different, and more "old school" way of doing each voice, than the reissues of P5/10 and X8. Using the OB-6/P6 tech in a newer, budget synth that looks like it's reusing much of the Take5 approach, seems highly unlikely.

<list your stupid gear here>

So it's SEM filter. Andertons are showing stock available in July.
https://youtu.be/W1W2K4IrOTQ

£1,499 is still rather high and for another 600 you could get the OB-6 desktop. But I understand that you're effectively getting a lot with the TEO-5. It sounds very impressive and I think I would prefer it over the UB-Xa.

https://www.andertons.co.uk/oberheim-te ... ynthesizer
https://www.andertons.co.uk/dave-smith- ... top-module

Pretty impressive! A desktop TEO-5 would be a very tempting replacement for my OB-6, but I’m not holding my breath.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7 | TR-8S | MPC One | TD-3 MO

A desktop Take-5 or TEO-5 is a great idea, would sell thousands, but might compete with their own higher end products.

Fyi official

“The core filter circuit is the same as the X8's OB-X filter. Neither are chip based btw”

vitocorleone123 wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 7:57 pm The Take5 has little in common with the Prophet 6. The Take5 has the Prophet5 chip(s).
Take 5 has SSI chips.
Likewise, the TEO-5 will have little to do with the OB-6 because it'll surely use the X8 chip
X8 has discrete oscillators and filters, no chips. I saw you posted that the TEO-5 has discrete filters, any idea about the oscillators?
Using the OB-6/P6 tech in a newer, budget synth that looks like it's reusing much of the Take5 approach, seems highly unlikely.
Correct. At the risk of stating the obvious, the TEO-5 relates to the Take 5 the same way that the OB-6 relates to the Prophet-6.

After watching the loopop video, I think it has some nice tricks that set it apart from the OB6. That being said, I have keyboards aplenty and am starting to contend with space. I would love to hear a side-by-side with the Pro3's filter...

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”