TW12: A couple of questions re midi clip editing...

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Good day, folks.
1) Why is it that midi clips in TW12 often refuse to splice in the exact place of one's choosing?
2) Is there a way to get rid of the vertical black line (play head position marker?) when editing midi clips? It so often blocks a note from being edited. I can move it out of the way by clicking on some other area, but that interrupts my focus, which gets annoying when doing a lot of note editing.

(Love the software, nevertheless!)

Many thanks!
Last edited by Ally007 on Fri May 10, 2024 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ally007 wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 11:39 am 1) Why is it that midi clips in TW12 often refuse to splice in the exact place of one's choosing?
I haven't had that issue. Maybe you can show it happening so we can see?
Ally007 wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 11:39 am 2) Is there a way to get rid of the vertical black line (play head position marker?)
Not that I am aware of, but I agree it can get in the way. For anyone else a bit confused, it's black in some colour schemes and white in others.
the old free version may not work boots successfully on new generations of computers, instruments, and hardware

pough wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 5:19 pm
Ally007 wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 11:39 am 1) Why is it that midi clips in TW12 often refuse to splice in the exact place of one's choosing?
I haven't had that issue. Maybe you can show it happening so we can see?
What happens is: I move the mouse pointer to the place I want to splice. I right-click there and select 'split'... but the split occurrs some shortish distance to the left or right of where I clicked. I can sometimes (not always) get it to split at the desired spot after zooming in to the max, and then doing it.
Last edited by Ally007 on Thu May 16, 2024 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sounds like a quantization setting. What is your setting in the timeline? I use 'smart' but I'm not at my pc to check if that could cause the issue.

You could disable snap as I think what is happening is the split is snapping the nearest quantization point. Quantization can be finer by zooming in even more.

Another alternative is you could disable the edit cursor under settings->general->"enable separate edit cursor". The the splitting actions are then done at the playhead point instead of the edit cursor position. The playhead point is then draggable on the timeline for where you want to split. This is how it used to work in older versions of Waveform.

Thank you kindly for the replies, folks. It happened again, today; I couldn't split a midi clip where I wanted to. Instead, the spit occurred more than a whole bar from where I clicked. Turning snapping off didn't help. Nor did zooming in to 100%. What did enable it, was changing the Quantization setting for the clip to 1/32 or 1/64 of a beat. (Larger fractions didn't work.) It was set to 'none' by default. I don't understand why I often can't split a clip where I need to, when Quantization is set to 'none'. Can anyone suggest why?

Return to “Tracktion”