For the First Time in Many Years...

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

For the first time in many years, almost a decade, I am getting pops in my audio, and MIDI notes get missed when playing back a sequence. Here's what I've checked so far:

1. Checked all cables and connections

2. Changed buffer settings

3. Switched to an earlier version of software, both Cakewalk and Vienna Ensemble Pro

4. Updated drivers on two audio interfaces

My studio utilizes two computers, both fast i7 machines with 32GB of RAM each. All storage drives are SSD. The first computer, the DAW, runs Cakewalk, plugins, and audio mastering software. The second computer is dedicated to the Vienna Symphonic Cube library. The particular piece I am working on is quite large, it uses full orchestra (strings, winds, brass and percussion) and also the Vienna Choir. The DAW is also running, in this composition, Native Instruments with a choir library. I removed Native Instruments to see if that is the culprit, it isn't.

I'm not sure what else to troubleshoot. I guess I can try another piece and see if it glitches as well. If not, then there may be something about the size of the ensemble which is causing this.

Thanks for any feedback!

Jerry

www.jerrygerber.com

www.youtube.com/@astromusicvideo

My intuition says to fault isolate by starting software one at a time, then playing back until you are able to determine which software is causing issues, if any.

Thanks, I'm in the process of doing that right now!

I found the culprit. I have the Vienna symphonic Library and the Vienna Choir. Somehow, the file that contains the Tenor voices got corrupted and when I hit certain notes I'd get clicks and other weird artifacts. I uninstalled and reinstalled the choir samples and all is good. It took me about 4 days of troubleshooting to figure this one out. Thanks much for replying and offering help.

Jerry
www.jerrygerber.com
www.youtube.com/@astromusicvideo

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”