Dawesome MYTH

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Personal Tastes & Engineered Flavours
Samiver wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 7:17 am I think this synth is very much a personal taste thing but so far I am a fan of this and the results are quite different to other synths I own due to iris and modulation options.
I recently read someone on another music site say that Myth's core sound was not to their taste. And so is there a 'core' sound and why would it have one? What's it and other synths doing under the hood? And are there some cheats along the way? I mean, I've heard that Tone2 might 'enhance' (hype) whats going on under the hood. What's Urs doing with Zebra exactly? Stuff like that.

There are those who like the taste of some brand of 'ice cream', even when I show them the ingredients and the crap that passes for 'ice cream'. Maybe secretly they never buy it again and instead buy one I recommend; one that has more 'honest' ingredients. Or maybe they end up home-making some themselves.

So, what do we get under Myth's hood and is it real or mythic or somewhere else and do you even care as long as it sounds(/'tastes') good?

Believe it or not, some of us do. Maybe it's in part about the 'core taste' and the honesty and integrity behind it.

Some might call Dawsome's GUI's gimmicky, while others might call them practical or even revolutionary. Personally, I like their look, but have yet to use them in any significant capacity, such as to find how deep their beauty goes and how easy it is to get there.
Last edited by Borbolactic on Thu May 16, 2024 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Borbolactic wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 3:31 am
What are 'bin arrays' and how are MSEGS being used in the context of sounds for Myth? Are MSEGS not used (more) in sequencing contexts? In any case, in both those contexts, it would seem the sounds are being granularized. Or, perhaps the sound is being played almost per-partial, but not quite-- more like a wavetable (AKA bin array?), maybe a little like that Tomophone 'synth'?

Thanks!
bins are evenly spaced frequency bands, Myth is not granular.

Msegs can be used for far more than sequencing
When you look at the iris, the shape of the lines approximates the MSEG for that layer, you can think of it as a volume curve per layer.

Myth is not like tomophone, it is not wavetable either, nor are wavetables bin based, they are determined by harmonics

"What is an 'engine' and since when are the oscillators not part of it?'

in the context of this particular conversation, I meant that the vital AI tool used the whole of vital, much like how synplant does, to resynthesize the audio, rather than JUST using an array of oscillators. Let me clarify further, I don't mean to say oscillators aren't part of a synth engine, what I'm saying is that often times, resynthesis is done exclusively with an array of oscillators, but in the case of synplant and the other AI thing, it is using the all of the elements on the synth, like filters, envelopes etc. This isn't to say oscillators aren't part of the engine.

"Any link to Myth's manual online that I could take a read? Is Myth ultimately chopping up the inference/resynthesis into grains"

there's a manual included with the demo, Myth has a 90 day demo you can download. it is not using granular for the resynthesis.

"What's the best that gives you a good level of per-partial control with resynthesis and/or AI 'resynthesis'/'inference' do you think?"

I don't think there is a best, I think there's a lot of options that vary in quality and vary based on input material.
Check out my website for synth/software articles reviews and presets http://databroth.com (new review every monday)

I also do experimental sound design and demos of plugins (no talking) on my youtube: https://www.youtube.com/databroth

Borbolactic wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 3:59 am Personal Tastes & Engineered Flavours
Samiver wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 7:17 am I think this synth is very much a personal taste thing but so far I am a fan of this and the results are quite different to other synths I own due to iris and modulation options.
I recently read someone on another music site say that Myth's core sound was not to their taste. And so is there a 'core' sound and why would it have one? What's it and other synths doing under the hood? And are there some cheats along the way? I mean, I've heard that Tone2 might 'enhance' whats going on under the hood. What's Urs doing with Zebra exactly? Stuff like that.

There are those who like the taste of some brand of 'ice cream', even when I show them the ingredients and the crap that passes for 'ice cream'. Maybe secretly they never buy it again, I don't know and they instead buy one I recommend; one the has more 'honest' ingredients. Or maybe they end up home-making some themselves.

So, what do we get under Myth's hood and is it real or mythic or somewhere else and do you even care as long as it sounds(/'tastes') good?

Believe it or not, some of us do. Maybe it's in part about the 'core taste' and the honesty and integrity behind it.

Some might call Dawsome's GUI's gimmicky, while others might call them practical or even revolutionary. Personally, I like their look, but have yet to use them in any significant capacity, such as to find how deep their beauty goes and how easy it is to get there.
Yes I have seen various comments hence why I said it is personal taste. As for a core sound I personally think it is capable of a variety of sounds (pretty much like a lot of synths). The manual gives some information but I don't fully understand the re synthesis, at the same time though I don't really care personally as I like what it does regardless. I personally just concentrate on making music so the technical aspects are less important than if I like the device and the sounds I create with it.

I totally get that for a lot of people the how is important though.

Only suggestion I can ever give is trial it for 90 days, read the manual and see if it is for you.

Samiver wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 7:18 am
Borbolactic wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 3:59 am Personal Tastes & Engineered Flavours
I recently read someone on another music site say that Myth's core sound was not to their taste. And so is there a 'core' sound and why would it have one? What's it and other synths doing under the hood? And are there some cheats along the way? I mean, I've heard that Tone2 might 'enhance' whats going on under the hood. What's Urs doing with Zebra exactly? Stuff like that.

There are those who like the taste of some brand of 'ice cream', even when I show them the ingredients and the crap that passes for 'ice cream'. Maybe secretly they never buy it again, I don't know and they instead buy one I recommend; one the has more 'honest' ingredients. Or maybe they end up home-making some themselves.

Yes I have seen various comments hence why I said it is personal taste. As for a core sound I personally think it is capable of a variety of sounds (pretty much like a lot of synths). The manual gives some information but I don't fully understand the re synthesis, at the same time though I don't really care personally as I like what it does regardless. I personally just concentrate on making music so the technical aspects are less important than if I like the device and the sounds I create with it.

Only suggestion I can ever give is trial it for 90 days, read the manual and see if it is for you.
I find it easier to use something if I know how it works

sandandpaint wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 8:09 am

Yeah that's cool, totally respect that. For clarity I understand the synth, it's fx and modulation etc, it's just the re synthesis part I don't understand what exactly it does.

Win Users: Is OpenGL working for you? I'm seeing a red "x" there. (Intel CPU, Nvidia RTX)

Samiver wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 8:16 am

Yeah that's cool, totally respect that. For clarity I understand the synth, it's fx and modulation etc, it's just the re synthesis part I don't understand what exactly it does.
:tu: but I like to know what the modifiers do as well - for me "this modifier animates the signal" lacks a bit of detail regarding the mechanism. I understand the reasons he does this and they are legit - just they dont suit me

Chris-S wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 8:43 am Win Users: Is OpenGL working for you? I'm seeing a red "x" there. (Intel CPU, Nvidia RTX)
if you click on it will turn grey. closing and opening GUI you will see that it is blue.
i think it is blue... then it is on.

sandandpaint wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 8:48 am
Samiver wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 8:16 am

:tu: but I like to know what the modifiers do as well - for me "this modifier animates the signal" lacks a bit of detail regarding the mechanism. I understand the reasons he does this and they are legit - just they dont suit me
The "animation" sounds a bit like ring modulation.

The resynth thing is interesting but doesn't sound even slightly like the source material. It's fun but the actual oscillators or whatever we want to call the sound engines are more interesting to me.

Borbolactic wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 3:31 am Anyway, again, would you or anyone reading this know of where Myth's manual might be so I can RTFM?
AFAIK it's not separately online, but if you install the demo, "Open User Manual" is one of the options on the menu at the top left. (You might not have to start the 90-day trial countdown to read it.)

foosnark wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 11:58 am
Borbolactic wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 3:31 am Anyway, again, would you or anyone reading this know of where Myth's manual might be so I can RTFM?
AFAIK it's not separately online, but if you install the demo, "Open User Manual" is one of the options on the menu at the top left. (You might not have to start the 90-day trial countdown to read it.)
It's available online:

https://www.tracktion.com/sites/default ... manual.pdf

swilow11 wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 10:50 am

The "animation" sounds a bit like ring modulation.

The resynth thing is interesting but doesn't sound even slightly like the source material. It's fun but the actual oscillators or whatever we want to call the sound engines are more interesting to me.
I think it depends on the sound. Some things sound pretty close but others sound nothing like what you put in.

I think one of the issues with current resynthesis is due to it being enormously resource heavy in terms of computation you either get a choice between timbral or temporal accuracy but often not both.

Synplant doesn't deal with temporal information outside relatively simple envelopes but it can be very accurate at reproducing timbral aspects.

That's because synplant is a relatively simple synth beyond the genopatching. It just uses whatever ML magic it's using to set the parameters of the synth. No surprises that synplant excels at resynthesis of synth sounds. Acoustic instruments tend to be more challenging for it.

Visco is uncannily accurate with most percussion samples but then again it's dealing with samples less than a second long at most. Still very impressive though.

Myth on the other hand is excellent at temporal information but not so hot on the timbral side.

I think one of the issues with myth is that the Irises have been presented as kind of the focal point rather than being a component in a bigger picture.

I don't blame people for thinking that since (a) a lot of the marketing was focused on them and (b) in terms of the GUI they occupy most of the real estate.

Personally, I think the combination of the Irises with the modal filters and various FM shenanigans is the USP of Myth. In that way it reminds me a lot of Kaivo where the granular section can be fed into modal filters/physical models as opposed to it being a strict granular synth like say Quanta 2.

Ultimately the test of a synth is what comes out of it and I do find that I can get sounds out of myth that I can't really get anywhere else or at least not as easily or fun...

I'm a big fan of any synth that allows you to introduce any organic elements into designing a sound and the Irises provide that.

I do think the Irises being confined to being an oscillator is a missed opportunity. They absolutely should be a modulation source too.

Borbolactic wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 3:31 am Someone here says HALion7. But, 'sample-based'? What does that mean? Doesn't look like it does additive/per-partial though. Pigments? Spectral engine any good? Does it do resynthesis?
FWIW HALion7 has what they call a "spectral oscillator". You load a sample into them and then it uses a resynthesis algorithm on it to transform it at the oscillator level that you then run through the synth engine

You get a lot of control over how that algorithm works which means the raw sound of the oscillator changes before you run it through the actual synthesis engine

https://youtu.be/qEpA0GpBVk8?si=4yZK-kIo6rK4OSJV

"Is Myth ultimately chopping up the inference/resynthesis into grains, perhaps like its other synths or are we getting true synthesis after the fact of the resynthesis? I ask this because granular 'synthesis' doesn't quite seem like true synthesis and more like sampling at the granular level." ~ Borbolactic
databroth wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 5:30 am "Myth is not granular...

When you look at the iris, the shape of the lines approximates the MSEG for that layer..." ~ Databroth
"MSEG (Multi-Segment Envelope Generator) granular synthesis is a technique used to create complex textures and sounds by manipulating short audio segments, or 'grains', in real-time. This process allows for the creation of unique and dynamic sounds that can be used in a variety of musical contexts.

In granular synthesis, the audio signal is broken down into small segments, typically ranging from a few milliseconds to several seconds, and then manipulated to create a new sound. This can be done by adjusting the speed, pitch, and formant characteristics of the grains, as well as their spatial placement and density." ~ Brave Search Engine composite

--

"MYTH approximates your sample by finding the optimal combination of four static sounds whose volume is controlled by an envelope curve.

Each of the four internal oscillators of the IRIS is capable of creating any
static sound.

Each of the envelopes is a MSEG with up to 500 segments." ~ Myth Manual

Ou_Tis wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 12:02 pm It's available online:

https://www.tracktion.com/sites/default ... manual.pdf
Thanks!

Still reading it, but it does seem like Dawsome's still working with granular. 500 'segments' is also in the numerical ballpark of ~ 500 partials in some additive synths.

Return to “Instruments”