Softube quietly abandons VST2 format?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

After a bunch of Softube Central updates, I noticed none of my Softube VST2 plugins launch in my DAW anymore - all broken "cannot find plugin" links.

So I ran a plugin re-scan and noticed all the Softube plugins were now VST3 - it wasn't finding any VST2 plugins in my custom folder.

When did this happen? Now I can't even see any option to install VST2 or provide custom folder location.

I'm OK with the migration to VST3, I get it - but now every Softube plugin instance in music projects for the last half decade or more in my DAW are broken and need to be manually replaced with the VST3 version and reset from scratch - with no way of knowing what the original settings were.

Like I said, I'm OK with companies dropping VST2 support, but atleast create some kind of utility so we can transfer our VST2 settings over to VST3? Sheesh.

Reminds me of the Waves "their plugins just work and work for decades" argument, yet so many of my old DAW sessions say "Waveshell V7.12131232131231231.dll not found".

Updating anything is a minefield these days and look out for vanishing VST2s, people.

I'm not seeing that yet here on Win 11. I'm up to date with Softube Central; I ran updates just last week. Like you, I see no option to specify versions, but I have both VST2 and VST3 plugins getting installed. All of my VST2 versions are dated 4/25/24, so they were all refreshed/updated with the last update I did.

It wouldn't be the end of the world (for me) to have only VST3, but I'm still a weirdo who prefers VST2 when given a choice. I still have better overall stability and performance with VST2. Maybe that's just a 'me' thing, but if it works, it works.

I updated Softube this week and I still have both vst2 and 3 installed (purposely not mentioning my OS because well apparently the OP didn't think that was pertinent info).
rsp
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 12:58 am I updated Softube this week and I still have both vst2 and 3 installed (purposely not mentioning my OS because well apparently the OP didn't think that was pertinent info).
rsp
Sorry, Windows 11, FL Studio latest.

Weird - seems like this has only happened to me.

sl1200mk2 wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 12:48 am I'm not seeing that yet here on Win 11. I'm up to date with Softube Central; I ran updates just last week. Like you, I see no option to specify versions, but I have both VST2 and VST3 plugins getting installed. All of my VST2 versions are dated 4/25/24, so they were all refreshed/updated with the last update I did.

It wouldn't be the end of the world (for me) to have only VST3, but I'm still a weirdo who prefers VST2 when given a choice. I still have better overall stability and performance with VST2. Maybe that's just a 'me' thing, but if it works, it works.
I'm with you, VST2 are generally less glitchy and I think sometimes use less CPU too - but most importantly they don't clog up C drive and there's nothing wrong with user choice!

By the way, it seems like this issue has only happened to me - maybe it's even a new FL Studio bug or user error somehow. Thanks for checking your end.

I'm just nuking all of my Softube plugin shortcuts now and repopulating with VST3, unfortunately it looks like I don't have a choice going forward as I can no longer see anywhere in Softube Central where I can input a custom VST2 path. Will deal with missing plugin replacement in tracks on a case-by-case - might even avoid Softube out of reliability fear now :lol:

MogwaiBoy wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 1:52 am
zvenx wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 12:58 am I updated Softube this week and I still have both vst2 and 3 installed (purposely not mentioning my OS because well apparently the OP didn't think that was pertinent info).
rsp
Sorry, Windows 11, FL Studio latest.

Weird - seems like this has only happened to me.
It is fine for me on Sonoma Mac Apple Silicon and OS 10 in Cubendo.
rsp
sound sculptist

unfortunately it looks like I don't have a choice going forward as I can no longer see anywhere in Softube Central where I can input a custom VST2 path.
Maybe just grab a VST2 copy of all your Softube plugins from a backup?
Then you can just copy them somewhere (where they used to be?) so they'll load for old projects.
John Braner
http://johnbraner.bandcamp.com
http://www.soundclick.com/johnbraner
and all the major streaming/download sites.

Even the latest installers install the vst2 versions on windows on my machine.
I would rather have the option NOT to install them...

The failure to scan Softube's VST2 plugins started occurring exclusively in FL Studio after update version 2.5.82. It doesn't happen in other DAWs. I've already spoken to their support with no resolution. The best they could do was provide me with an Excel worksheet linking me to the installers for version 2.5.79 so I could at least finish my projects. I've attached it to this post in a .rar file:
2_5_79_Win.rar
Please contact their support about it, the more the better. They'll tell you to make sure they're installed in the right folders, they'll ask you if OpenGL is enabled/disabled, blah blah. None of it will work.

Lesson learned, always backup installers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

It would be great if they did properly make it possible to move to VST3 by implementing plugin migration

Same problem here, latest FL Studio and Windows 11.

I have the same issue with some Native Instruments plugins. Replika XT freezes FL Studio, old and new projects.

Huge waste of time and flow killer...

I think maybe the thread title needs changing.

Tried to install an earlier version of FL Studio, but that's a waste of time.
No NI or Softube plugin works with FL Studio 21, no matter what version.
So the only thing left to do is re-install an earlier version of every Softube or NI plugin you work with.................

Return to “Effects”