Where is Reason 13?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I haven't used Reason in any capacity for a long time, but when I used it as a DAW (v10), I could always write fast in it. It's a DAW that gets out of the way. If they really improved the sequencer aspects that everyone knows about, I wouldn't mind making music in it.

Wait...did the guy on the previous page compare the workflow in Reason to "manual labor"...A manual labor... :lol: :D

If that is a "manual labor" I would like to know in his view what is working with real modular or hardware gear - he would probably say rape and terror :hihi:

Kids and their stretch of reality these days... you must love em :dog:

The problem with Reason(for me) is that by using the MuLab Plugin, you can connect everything with everything in any DAW, and create a component based UI that hides the cables. From that point on, the features that start to matter are those that are no longer included in Reason, like the chord track in Cubase.

The problem for MuLab was that its internal modulators like LFOs couldn't sync with the host's current playhead position, so you need to create setups with prewired XferLFO and Gatekeeper (or some similar device that can do this)... so need a setup like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MM7VUoRFcnU

and in contrast to Reason, in the MuLab Plugin there are three types of cables: one for audio, one for CV modulation(able to do audio rate based one), and also a MIDI cable between rack slots, there is no need for cabling, which is often seen as a disadvantage in systems where you have to do the wiring yourself. In these slots, all three types of signals can move around
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

xbitz wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 6:43 am there is no need for cabling
Neither is there in Reason.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

^^^ yepp, that's why I said that they've also solved it in the MuLab Plugin, the same thing that works well in Reason, but is missing in other cabling plugins

In Bitwig Grid, also an advantage is that components belonging to a specific family (like filters, oscillators, etc.) can be swapped for another without breaking the routing at any given point ... however, it is tied to the DAW,

so the Reason's solution where you can freely throw in and modulate all kinds of devices without dealing with cabling, is also present in MuLab Plugin. additionally, in MuLab Plugin, you can also incorporate VSTs and MIDI generators, ergo this doesn't work the other way around.

All I wanted to point out from this is that Reason's sequencer would need to make a big leap to be in the same league as a Cubase MuLab Plugin combo for me.

I'm not saying they aren't useful, especially if the mixer also gets the black design, but MIDI routing in the Rack and grouping tracks (in the mixer too) definitely should have been addressed.

''The sequencer has been split into two. With the new Edit Area it’s easy to get down and dirty with the details in your music without losing your way in the arrangement. Together with several new workflow improvements, improved zooming, layout changes, and easy access to editing features—the upgraded sequencer makes it effortless to make your music sound like you.''

Looks more like a normal DAW- may be useable!

Browser looks a lot better as well (with tagging)

Release mid June - not long to wait...Probably needs a new thread!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Still no Poly aftertouch or MPE support?

aMUSEd wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 10:21 am Still no Poly aftertouch or MPE support?
Or VST midi routing. That was my big wish.

parma wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 10:25 am
aMUSEd wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 10:21 am Still no Poly aftertouch or MPE support?
Or ARA or MIDI loop-recording... *ack*
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

I stuck a new thread up to discuss the actual features so people know it is actually out in beta not speculation, not much seems to be known yet.

viewtopic.php?p=8896642#p8896642
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

jens wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 10:29 am
No ARA but a it has audio pitch correction natively, still a few major DAWS missing even that. no MPE would be a big miss.

SLiC wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 10:48 am
jens wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 10:29 am
No ARA but a it has audio pitch correction natively, still a few major DAWS missing even that. no MPE would be a big miss.
Well, first of all ARA isn't pitch-correction - it's a plugin-extension. There still seems to be a whole lot of misunderstanding about what ARA actually is (and isn't).

With that out of the way:

while Reason's pitch-editor is quite a good tool in its own right it is

a) strictly monophonic

b) fully manual

xbitz wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 8:50 am ^^^ yepp, that's why I said that they've also solved it in the MuLab Plugin, the same thing that works well in Reason, but is missing in other cabling plugins

In Bitwig Grid, also an advantage is that components belonging to a specific family (like filters, oscillators, etc.) can be swapped for another without breaking the routing at any given point ... however, it is tied to the DAW,

so the Reason's solution where you can freely throw in and modulate all kinds of devices without dealing with cabling, is also present in MuLab Plugin. additionally, in MuLab Plugin, you can also incorporate VSTs and MIDI generators, ergo this doesn't work the other way around.
Ah, got you now.

Does the Mulab plugin allow inter-instance signal-routing?

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”