Synth Tutorial IV - A New Hope

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Okay,

since it appears the J&H tutorial it dead, or at least like the Norwegian Blue - "resting", I'm going to try and rekindle the concept from the start - since I think there are a bunch of people out there (me included) who would love it to get off the ground. To recap, what we were going to try was ;-

Project concept:

VA Synthesizer, stereo, polyphonic 16 voices, 128 patches memory

- 2 oscillators (lookup tables)
- 2 envelopes ADSR
- 2 LFO (lookup tables)
- 2 multimode filter (sv) serial/parallel
- modulation assigment
- MIDI controller implementation

- graphical user interface

optional:
- parameter smoothing
- delay
- chorus

Now, my VST/DSP knowledge is not up to this, but I can write up some doco for code that others write. If folk want, I will investigate getting a domain to host it on (as long as it doesn't cost too much :) ) and since my skin is fairly thick, I doubt I would delete it all.

Not sure if NiallM's code could be used as part of this - let's wait and see once he posts it and tells us the conditions of use.

Now, anyone else interested in helping :?: I can definately NOT do this by myself

cheers,

Wolf

I wonder if any of the BetaBugs team would be interested in contributing their knowledge ?

I really was looking forward to the tutorial.. I know how to code c++, and i know that i will always continuously become better and better so i'm not interested in a perfectly coded plugin that is 100% efficient. I just wanna learn about vst from the ground up! It's to bad J&H bailed on us. Thanks for attempting to rekindle wolfy.
The following statement is true.
The previous statement is false.

What could be a nice sideline (getting ahead of myself here) is some more tools in the toolbox, like the oscilloscope. So if someone says "well, x is a bad way of doing stuff, it should by y", we can have an x and y version and then see how they perform. Of course people will always have differences of opinion in coding style, and if they are prepared to rewrite some code in their preferred style, we could maybe host that too.

Wow, I've only just seen what happened in the tutorial thread :-o. You're welcome to use my code if you want (oh yeah, that's what I was going to do this weekend... :wink:) - it'll be released under the MIT/expat license, because 1.) I don't think VST code is compatible with the GPL, and 2.) I don't mind people using it in commercial projects anyway. I'd also be happy for people to point out any deficiencies in the code - the way I see it, that kind of thing can only ever be helpful...

- Niall.

Thanks Niall, I really appreciate your offer. :D

I think you are probably correct about the GPL licence, since any VST includes Steinberg code, and that isn't under the GPL.

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”