Dirac Timestretching anyone?

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi all,
I just came across the updated web site of Stefan Bernsee (aka Stefan Sprenger) and noticed that there's a free download of his new time stretching technology called "dirac". Even though I'm not a software guy I managed to get it to run with the example project in xcode on the Mac and - wow! Anyone cares to make a plug in out of it?? Pretty pretty pleeeze? ;-)

Cheers,
--th

EDIT: stupid me - the URL is http://www.dspdimension.com. It#s in the technology category...
I'm the stereo chancellor

tahome wrote:Hi all,
I just came across the updated web site of Stefan Bernsee (aka Stefan Sprenger) and noticed that there's a free download of his new time stretching technology called "dirac". Even though I'm not a software guy I managed to get it to run with the example project in xcode on the Mac and - wow! Anyone cares to make a plug in out of it?? Pretty pretty pleeeze? ;-)

Cheers,
--th

EDIT: stupid me - the URL is http://www.dspdimension.com. It#s in the technology category...
Hi, the thing is not "that much free".
It has to be licensed. Full feature set only with the pro version possible (others are limited in essential things).

The xperience shows, that only very vew developers are actually interested to license others frameworks for some reasons. Except big companies with loads of money and time pressure...

I doubt very much, that the price you pay compensates anywhen, if you are a small developer. (See the actual Wusik.com story.)

And why, do you actually think, do they not themselfes build applications on base of that framework?

The old trick. Licensing seems to make more money than selling end user software (for some time) ...

Hi tahome,

i develop a little command line tool (windoze)where you can check out the quality of dirac. i call it

diri.exe :))

http://www.basementarts.de/DemoStuff/diri.zip

it can handle stereofiles, but the result is mono (yet).

commands are:
diri.exe -h (shows help file)
diri.exe -sf 120 -pf 5 (of course you can change this with your own settings)

-> opens a fileselector where you can select any aif file.

result is 120% + stretch from orginal size and pitch up 5 semitones.

the quality of dirac is really nice.

check it out :)

Regards
Gerd Hilgemann, www.basementarts.de
[/url]
Last edited by GHilgemann on Tue May 24, 2005 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

jackle&hyde wrote:Hi, the thing is not "that much free".
It has to be licensed. Full feature set only with the pro version possible (others are limited in essential things).
I could download it with no problems. And I don't care if you need two instances for a stereo track so I don't see where it is limited in "essential things" or where I am pressed to pay money for it - in fact, nothing on that site costs anything. It's a time stretch/pitch shift allright, and a very good one at that... I'm not a developer so I need the help of one - I'd love to have it as a plug in (in Logic and VST) because the one in Logic sucks big time...

As for the "why" - I think he explains on the news page why he developed it but I emailed him, too...

Thanks
--th

GHilgemann wrote:i develop a little command line tool (windoze)where you can check out the quality of dirac.
Kewl, thanks! ;-) Is there any way how I can set the quality?

--th

update - add quality mode:
-q ( set 1 for low,2 middle, 3high, 4 highEnd (slow cpu)

commands are:
diri.exe -h (shows help file)
diri.exe -sf 120 -pf 5 -q 4

(of course you can change this with your own settings)

load new version here:
http://www.basementarts.de/Demostuff/Diri011.zip
CTO, Gerd Hilgemann
www.basementarts.de

Wow, that was fast!! Thanks!

--th

DIRAC LE
License Agreement

PLEASE READ THIS LICENSE CAREFULLY BEFORE USING THE SOFTWARE. BY USING THE SOFTWARE, YOU ARE AGREEING TO BE BOUND BY THE TERMS OF THIS LICENSE. This software is supplied to you by Stephan M. Bernsee in consideration of your agreement to the following terms, and your use or installation of this software constitutes acceptance of these terms. If you do not agree with these terms, please do not use, install or redistribute this software.

1. License.
a) The DIRAC LE object code, demonstration source code and other software accompanying this License, whether on disk, in read only memory, or on any other media (the 'Software'), the related documentation and example audio files are licensed to you by Stephan M. Bernsee.

b) Under the purpose of this agreement, Stephan M. Bernsee grants you a nonÐtransferable, nonÐexclusive worldwide license (the ÒLicenseÓ) to

i. use the Software for the purpose of changing length and pitch of audio signals in your own computer software product.
ii. link and/or combine the Software with your own software project to produce an executable application (the ÒIntegrated ProductÓ) that can be used by an end user.
iii. copy and distribute, and have copied and distributed, to your customers portions of the Software embedded into or accompanying the Integrated Product, subject to the terms and conditions of this agreement.
iv. grant end users non-exclusive licenses to use the Integrated Product, subject to the restrictions contained in this agreement.

c) Legal title to the Software, documentation and example files provided under this agreement shall remain in Stephan M. Bernsee as its sole property. Except as expressly stated in this notice, no other rights or licenses, express or implied, are granted by Stephan M. Bernsee herein, including but not limited to any patent rights that may be infringed by your derivative works or by other works in which the Software may be incorporated.

2. Restrictions.
a) The Software contains copyrighted material, trade secrets, and other proprietary material. In order to protect them, and except as permitted by applicable legislation, you may not decompile, reverse engineer, disassemble or otherwise reduce the Software to a human-perceivable form. You may not modify, rent, lease, loan or re-distribute the Software in whole or in part other than for the purpose detailed in ¤1b.

b) You agree to include the following copyright notice in all printed or electronic documentation accompanying the Integrated Product, as well as in all places within the Integrated ProductÕs user interface where you are placing your own copyright notices and mentions the author(s) of the Integrated Product:

"DIRAC Time Stretch/Pitch Shift technology (c) 2005 Stephan M. Bernsee"

In addition, you may indicate in the packaging, advertisements, and documentation for the Integrated Products that the Integrated Products contain the DIRAC technology.

3. Termination.
This License is effective until terminated. You may terminate this License at any time by destroying the Software, related documentation and example files and all copies thereof. This License will terminate immediately without notice from Stephan M. Bernsee if you fail to comply with any provision of this License. Upon termination you must destroy the Software, related documentation and example files and all copies thereof.

4. Disclaimer of Warranty on the Software.
You expressly acknowledge and agree that use of the Software and example files is at your sole risk. The Software, related documentation and example files are provided 'AS IS' and without warranty of any kind and Stephan M. Bernsee EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMS ALL OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. STEPHAN M. BERNSEE DOES NOT WARRANT THAT THE FUNCTIONS CONTAINED IN THE SOFTWARE WILL MEET YOUR REQUIREMENTS, OR THAT THE OPERATION OF THE SOFTWARE WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED OR ERROR-FREE, OR THAT DEFECTS IN THE SOFTWARE AND THE EXAMPLE FILES WILL BE CORRECTED. FURTHERMORE, STEPHAN M. BERNSEE DOES NOT WARRANT OR MAKE ANY REPRESENTATIONS REGARDING THE USE OR THE RESULTS OF THE USE OF THE SOFTWARE AND EXAMPLE FILES OR RELATED DOCUMENTATION IN TERMS OF THEIR CORRECTNESS, ACCURACY, RELIABILITY, OR OTHERWISE. NO ORAL OR WRITTEN INFORMATION OR ADVICE GIVEN BY STEPHAN M. BERNSEE OR A STEPHAN M. BERNSEE AUTHORIZED REPRESENTATIVE SHALL CREATE A WARRANTY OR IN ANY WAY INCREASE THE SCOPE OF THIS WARRANTY. WITHOUT LIMITING THE FOREGOING, STEPHAN M. BERNSEE DISCLAIMS ANY AND ALL EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, AND YOU EXPRESSLY ASSUME ALL LIABILITIES AND RISKS, FOR USE OR OPERATION OF THE SOFTWARE, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION. SHOULD THE SOFTWARE PROVE DEFECTIVE, YOU (AND NOT STEPHAN M. BERNSEE OR A STEPHAN M. BERNSEE AUTHORIZED REPRESENTATIVE) ASSUME THE ENTIRE COST OF ALL NECESSARY SERVICING, REPAIR OR CORRECTION. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OF IMPLIED WARRANTIES, SO THE ABOVE EXCLUSION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.

5. Limitation of Liability.
UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE, SHALL STEPHAN M. BERNSEE BE LIABLE FOR ANY INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES THAT RESULT FROM THE USE OR INABILITY TO USE THE SOFTWARE OR RELATED DOCUMENTATION, EVEN IF STEPHAN M. BERNSEE OR A STEPHAN M. BERNSEE AUTHORIZED REPRESENTATIVE HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE LIMITATION OR EXCLUSION OF LIABILITY FOR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES SO THE ABOVE LIMITATION OR EXCLUSION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU. In no event shall Stephan M. Bernsee's total liability to you for all damages, losses, and causes of action (whether in contract, tort (including negligence) or otherwise) exceed that portion of the amount paid by you which is fairly attributable to the Software and example files.

6. Controlling Law and Severability.
This License shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the Federal Republic of Germany. If for any reason a court of competent jurisdiction finds any provision of this License, or portion thereof, to be unenforceable, that provision of the License shall be enforced to the maximum extent permissible so as to effect the intent of the parties, and the remainder of this License shall continue in full force and effect.

7. Complete Agreement.
This License constitutes the entire agreement between the parties with respect to the use of the Software, the related documentation and fonts, and supersedes all prior or contemporaneous understandings or agreements, written or oral, regarding such subject matter. No amendment to or modification of this License will be binding unless in writing and signed by Stephan M. Bernsee or a duly authorized representative of Stephan M. Bernsee.

Should you have any questions or comments concerning this license, please contact Stephan M. Bernsee at http://www.dspdimension.com

Copyright © 2005 Stephan M. Bernsee, All Rights Reserved
and especially:

Note that you can save money by first incorporating the free DIRAC LE library into your application and upgrade to STUDIO and PRO as needed. The changes to your code will be minor to non-existent.
Last edited by useruseruser on Tue May 24, 2005 12:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

tahome wrote:It's a time stretch/pitch shift allright, and a very good one at that... I'm not a developer so I need the help of one - I'd love to have it as a plug in (in Logic and VST) because the one in Logic sucks big time...
Unfortunately, neither VST nor AudioUnits will support time stretching plug-ins, because the plug-ins are not allowed to change the block length during processing. That is the reason why our Studio Time is DirectX only. Offline VST would support it, though...

--
Stian - http://www.acondigital.com

stian wrote:
tahome wrote:It's a time stretch/pitch shift allright, and a very good one at that... I'm not a developer so I need the help of one - I'd love to have it as a plug in (in Logic and VST) because the one in Logic sucks big time...
Unfortunately, neither VST nor AudioUnits will support time stretching plug-ins, because the plug-ins are not allowed to change the block length during processing. That is the reason why our Studio Time is DirectX only. Offline VST would support it, though...

--
Stian - http://www.acondigital.com
so how come that Xtal works like a charm? :?
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

@jackle&hyde: must you post that whole thing? And I don't see your point, it#s an contract that allows you to use dirac le allright, for free and commercially as you wish. At least thats how I read this. I don't see a restriction here that would make it less usable to me as a user. Or else I don't see what you're getting at...?

And the second article simply says that the LE version is free but if you need the hi end features (96kHz support, formant correction, surround) you should licence the pro version... I don't see anything wrong with that either...? After all, it#s the best time stretch I've come across in a long time (and I think I know them all from my daily work in the studio), which is why I asked for a plug in of it.

@stian: AULab on the Mac has a time and pitch change AU plug in that works just fine in this regard (and realtime, too), so I don't think this can be right... at least not in general.

--th

Could anyone enlighten me? Iv got installed on my computer Micro-Cap Evaluation 8.0, which evaluates analogue electronic circuits, a design tool. Now in the downloaded zip, DIRAC_LE, Dirac-Micro-Cap library file, which I clicked on an it opened the Micro-Cap 8 program. Im confused can anyone help???

I believe you need to compile some source code with it to use it... if it were a plug in I'd not be asking for someone to build one... I've compiled the example projects with xcode on the mac (a matter of pressing a button) and they work fine (as does Gerd's command line program) but a plug in would be so much more convenient and I don't know how to do it...

--th

You've got Micro-Cap set to open whatever file type the library file is for some reason.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

jens wrote:so how come that Xtal works like a charm? :?
Because XTal is a VST intstrument that reads the audio data from files. It doesn't need to process a data block from the host and return it... :-)

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”