KarmaFX Synth beta released

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

sascha wrote:Kaspar, you've done a great job! :)

Normally, I hate such 'I can do everything for you if you only want me to'-synths because they want me to fiddle around for hours and days instead of starting to write songs with it. Yours is somehow different. Very easy to use, very logical, good & straightforward sound, low on the CPU.
But, for the future of it, please don't overdo it, function-wise. It's already enough in it for 90% of the people. Maybe the 'missing' 10% will stop 30% from using a 'modular monster'. Just fix that few bugs (e.g. I encountered problems with the Filter Mod) and you'll make a lot of people happy :)
Simplicity isn't a bad thing. My guitar's only got 6 strings but enough to show how bad I'm at it... :D

Anyway, my deepest thanks for what you've done. Think I'll be using this a lot.

Sascha
I agree, but the types of feature requests i have made are the type where people dont HAVE to use them let alone be confused by them! Just wanted to say that i agree and my feature requests, and all subsequent ones, will be consistent with this philosophy. :)
The following statement is true.
The previous statement is false.

edited for clarity:
this post was in response to Sascha's comment;
I agree with LIMITAPPROACHINGINFINITY (wow, that name is a handful! :lol: )

That is kinda odd, to me. If you can have it, but don't have to use it.... what's the harm? As long as he follows the same 'philosophy' as he has so far, then extras are just that: extras. They only get in the way if you let them, but if you want or need them, they are there :D I am a big strong believer in more options for this machine, because it is so simple to use, they would not get in the way.
Last edited by Z3R0T0N1N on Wed Apr 20, 2005 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
resistors are futile you will be simulated
Soundcloud
T4M

spoonboiler wrote:That is kinda odd, to me. If you can have it, but don't have to use it.... what's the harm? As long as he follows the same 'philosophy' as he has so far, then extras are just that: extras. They only get in the way if you let them, but if you want or need them, they are there :D I am a big strong believer in more options for this machine, because it is so simple to use, they would not get in the way.
That is PRECISELY what i was trying to say spoonboiler. :wink:

Bug report: creating a new 'simple synth' while audio is playing in ext causes crash.

hey, LIMITetc.
I forgot to properly address my response. You are just too fast at typing for me to keep up :lol:
but, I really like your idea.
I was actually responding to Sascha.
cheera.
resistors are futile you will be simulated
Soundcloud
T4M

OH, I see! :lol: I was wondering if anyone else thinks that the release on the adsr is broken? I cant get it to work when routed to the amplifier!

LIMITAPROACHINGINFINITY wrote:OH, I see! :lol: I was wondering if anyone else thinks that the release on the adsr is broken? I cant get it to work when routed to the amplifier!
I was experiencing that problem too, but the programmer PM-ed me and told me you had to switch off "trigger" on the Amp module.
Problem is that in this case the patch won't respond to velocity anymore.

But apparently the fine Mr. Programmer is working on these issues.
There are 3 kinds of people:
Those who can do maths and those who can't.

I'd just like to add my thanks for this synth. I've been playing with it for a couple of evenings now and having fun. But there are a few things I really don't understand about it and I think it would really help if there was some documentation.

Basically, the note pitch controller confuses me. I just can't intuitively understand (or figure out from the supplied patches) the signal flow for how it can change the pitch of the note played when it appears to be plugged in at arbitrary points in the signal chain. And I can't seem to get a 2nd instance of the controller to work at all. For example, if I want to have some oscs at a couple of octaves higher, then I've tried to link in a 2nd note pitch controller. But I only get a clicking noise out of the oscs controlled by the 2nd pitch controller. Now, I may be trying to do something stupid here, but this is a modular synth so I'm going to try it. So, some docs would be really helpful in understanding how some of the more obscure things work, and what all the buttons on the modules do e.g. I haven't figured out gate and trigger yet. Yes, I have some vague idea what these are supposed to do, but I have discerned any change in sound yet. I've not worked with modulars much before, so this probably doesn't help.

Still, none of this has stopped me having fun with it. All in all, a great donationware job even as a beta.

If you want to tune multiple OSCs differently, you can do that on themselves.
There are 3 kinds of people:
Those who can do maths and those who can't.

sascha wrote:Kaspar, you've done a great job! :)
But, for the future of it, please don't overdo it, function-wise. It's already enough in it for 90% of the people. Maybe the 'missing' 10% will stop 30% from using a 'modular monster'. Just fix that few bugs (e.g. I encountered problems with the Filter Mod) and you'll make a lot of people happy :)
Simplicity isn't a bad thing. My guitar's only got 6 strings but enough to show how bad I'm at it... :D
Sascha
Right, thats what I look for in a modular synth- not too many modules. :roll: Maybe he can make a "lite" version which just gives you an oscillator module and an output. :P
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Hey ive got a feature request... Legato mode!

Also, Like i mentioned before, a simple multipoint envelope would be cool. But in the mean time, maybe slope controls under attack, Decay, and release knobs, like in EnergyXT!...

Also i was thinking of a stupid feature request.. Just a simple "Dummy Module" that has about six knobs on it that you can route to whatever parameters on any other module you want, simply by cntrl clicking.. I just thought it would be cool to have a little minicontrol pannel for all the most commonly tweaked controls of a synth path, like filter cutoff, volume, reverb send, chorus send. Maybe a little box where you can label each knob.
I wouldnt even be asking for this if you didnt allready have the code for it.. Its actually a pretty dumb idea, but i just like to hear myself type. :dog:

K, another feature request. This ones actually a very good and important one:
-Hi/Low note parameters on the note modules, so that i could have multiple note modules routed to different samples/ osc to do keyboard splits and make drum samplers!!

A more practical solution but one for which you dont allready have reusable code for, would be two leave the note control module as it is but include a new teeny tiny module called note spliter which has maybe a grid of 8 rows saying low/high/ and a spot to link the output to the correct osc / sampler..

i really want to make a drum sampler for this baby! :)

Sascha Franck wrote:If you want to tune multiple OSCs differently, you can do that on themselves.
Yeah, I guess so. I just found doing that awkward, that's all (due to difficulty finely controlling the values of the tuning knob). But now that I mention that, I don't see why I found the octave knob on the controller any easier (I don't have the synth in front of me to try it out just now).

Hi everybody !

As you have propably guessed I've been busy fixing bugs these
past days, and havn't had time to reply and comment on all your posts.

But thank you all very much for all the feedback !
I really appreciate it !
I'm slowly progressing through the bug list now. If all goes well I will release a new beta this week-end.

I havn't tested in all hosts, but the frequent crashes due to a memory
leak appears to be gone. Also the adsr has been fixed, along with
some minor bugs here and there.

sascha: Just what kind of problems did you have with "Filter Mod" ?

Thanks also for all the new feature requests/ideas !
I don't plan to add new features in the next beta though.
Right now, I would like it to be more stable in its current state.

But most of the request are really quite simple to add (*really*)
Especially the modulation (yes, including sustain pedal :-)
and midi ideas. Actually the synth has 8 internal midi buses,
so doing arpeggiators and stuff is easy too. But of course it all takes time
:-/

Limita: I like the splitter idea. I would propably go for a solution where each splitter component has a lo and hi knob. What else besides hi/lo would make sense to have in such a module ?

- KarmaFX

:hyper: waiting for the new beta :hail:

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”