c4

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Help! the more I look into the whole contrllor thing the more I want a C4. You can select a filter and... boom - the controllable parameters come up automatically in the little Lcd displays and you are ready to tweak.
Has anyone out there used one?

Is 1k$ worth it not to have to mouse around or is that just stupid.

thoughts?

Personally, given the choice I'd go for the MCU, rather than the C4. I had both on loan whilst doing the docs, and ended up keeping them. If I had to pick between them, I'd keep the MCU without a doubt.
Both can be had for about the same money.

One nice thing about the MCU is that you can also use the faders to control parameters, which for detail work can be really nice.
Someone shot the food. Remember: don't shoot food!

I had the MCU with SX and sold it again because the plugin handling simply sucks e.g. 8 Pages for an equalizer, tons of shift combinations

...the only thing it is good at is transport, volume, pan and markers. The rest can be done much faster with the mouse and keyboards.

But I am looking forward the C4 in combination with tracktion. Tracktion is the only software with direct access to any plugin. The combination of selecting the plug with the mouse and having 32 Pots available sounds pretty sweet.

I would buy one immediately if they would only release it here in good old europe. Also I think, they might bundle it in the future with tracktion.

I sold already my 2 BCR because I do not want to assign controllers manually.

:o

Well, it certainly aint that painful in T2. Click the plugin mode button, to switch the pots to act in plugin mode. Select a plugin on screen, and you're done. The 8 pots assign themselves to the current plugin parameters.

Just like the C4 really, only you get the mixer surface, and transport controls. The trade off, obviously, is 24 odd VPots.

But I think this is the big advantage, because you have
32 pots very close to each other.

I remember editing an EQ ( I think it was an Oxford EQ). The EQ on button was on page 1, freq on page 3 and gain and Q on page 4 or something like that.
Totally unusable.

I think it is important to have only one page (max 2), so you get used to the position of certain parameters.
To me the C4 is the better choice when it comes to plugin editing. Maybe the right combination would be a MCU, 2 Mackie Extenders and C4 in the middle :-)...

That's a good point.

I tend to find though that the plugins that have utterly huge amounts of parameters don't translate well to external controllers in general though. With too many parameters, it just gets hard to find them, whereas the on screen version can be arranged to make things at least navigable.

I really like the Eqium approach actually. You can select which eq bands are shown, and in the order they are shown in. Very cool, and it works great with both the C4 and the MCU.

You're certainly right about having the whole combo though. :love: :)

Return to “Tracktion”