24 or 32 bit render? Pro and con?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm not sure what the best solution is for rendering down a midi track into audio files that I intend to edit, EQ, compress, or whatever, before the final render to 16 bit for CD.

Is there a real benefit to working with a 32 bit audio file?

I'd say go for 32bit "float". This format allows you to go over 0dB without clipping, so thats one worry less.

Also if you save as 24bit it still takes 4 bytes each sample (32bits again) so there is not even a difference in file size.

Your sequencer will almost certainly be using 32 bits internally. If you export from your sequencer at 24 bits, you're adding either quantization or dithering noise. Then you do your processing in an editor, and dither again to go down to 16 bits.

A 32 bit export removes the intermediate noise addition, and the only downside should be extra disk space. If your sequencer, editor, and hard drive are up to the task of 32 bit, I don't see any compelling reason to convert to 24 bit instead.

Whether the difference is really significant or not, well, that's another question altogether.

I just made a set of 16- (int), 24- (int), and 32- (float) bit wave files.

16 bit filesize: 1.68 MB
24 bit filesize: 2.52 MB
32 bit filesize: 3.36 MB

Warmonger wrote:I just made a set of 16- (int), 24- (int), and 32- (float) bit wave files.

16 bit filesize: 1.68 MB
24 bit filesize: 2.52 MB
32 bit filesize: 3.36 MB
Interesting... I did the same once in CoolEdit (you can pick like 6 formats) and everything except 16bits were all the same size. The same I recall happened in Trackion. What software did you use?

Sound Forge 7.

From what I remember of the wave file format, it should be possible to store a 24-bit value in 4 bytes by setting your headers appropriately. But if you want to be space efficient, you can certainly store it directly as 3 bytes.

I wrote a simple program once that created 24-bit waves, and I used the latter methods. The generated wave files were perfectly playable in Winamp or whatever. I didn't try the other method though.

Curiouser and curiouser...

I just imported the 32-bit file into Tracktion 1.6.0.1, exported at each of the 3 different bit depths, and they gave me the exact same file sizes I got from Sound Forge.

Warmonger wrote:From what I remember of the wave file format, it should be possible to store a 24-bit value in 4 bytes by setting your headers appropriately. But if you want to be space efficient, you can certainly store it directly as 3 bytes.
Ah, so it IS possible to do it both ways! I thought 24bits would use only 3 bytes each sample, until I did that test in CoolEdit. It doesn't make sense to me to waiste one in each 4 bytes...

Anyway, I learned something new today: it depends on the host weather 24bits files are smaller than 32bits files.

The reason it does make sense (in some manner of speaking) is that 24 bit integers are still stored internally in a 32 bit int. A wave file would be an array of these 32 bit values. It is easy to write out an array of 32 bit values directly to disk, but it is slightly more difficult (and time consuming) to write only the 3 useful bytes to disk, and skip the fourth.

Then again, if I could figure it out in a few hours (including time to learn the wave format), I should think Syntrillium would be up to the task as well. :P It must have been a conscious design decision then, but I'd say it was the wrong one.

Warmonger wrote:I just imported the 32-bit file into Tracktion 1.6.0.1, exported at each of the 3 different bit depths, and they gave me the exact same file sizes I got from Sound Forge.
I believe immediately you got these results in Tracktion. Maybe I assumed it because CoolEdit did it the uneconomical way, and files saved by Tracktion had the same properties.

But what happens if you record with different bit depths instead of "save as" ??

Same results for recording audio as for exporting.

(By the way, I've never really done much audio recording, and this little test just reminded me of why $199 for T2 is a steal!)

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”