was music discovered or invented?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

SaviorNeeded wrote:Obviously sound travels through space or how could we hear ships' phasers on Star Trek?

Huh-answer me that, then! There you have it.
:lol:

it also makes the x-wing and tie fighters roar in deep space too :hihi:

at least we know it goes back this far

http://www.webster.sk.ca/greenwich/fl-compl.htm

8)

Soniccat wrote:at least we know it goes back this far

http://www.webster.sk.ca/greenwich/fl-compl.htm

8)
Check the updates and more updates section at the bottom of the page. Oh dear, and they so wanted it to be true.

nuffink wrote
Check the updates and more updates section at the bottom of the page. Oh dear, and they so wanted it to be true.
I did not read the updates, thanks for pointing it out nuffink. 8)

But what about Fred Flintstone, I coulda swore I saw him playing in a band or something. 8)

I just d/l'ed a couple of mp3s from hjack's site--he makes nice music using, among other things, a modded dot matrix printer! That's almost as old and primative as a bone flute. :-o

Tom

SaviorNeeded wrote:I just d/l'ed a couple of mp3s from hjack's site--he makes nice music using, among other things, a modded dot matrix printer! That's almost as old and primative as a bone flute. :-o
errrnt errntt eeeeeeeeeeent errnt eee errnttttt

the dot matrix jam!

:lol:

I used to hate those printers.. I'd never get the paper to feed correctly so I'd have crooked type and lots of jams.. then I got a bubblejet and said hello to even more jams! life is good!

.. next plugging the printer to..

Oh dear, and they so wanted it to be true.
So much so that they actually leave the updates at the bottom of the page and leave the main text intact.

Which basically means that the whole concept is a joke!

What a bunch of wankers.

Invented. Animals may have music too, but we don't really know their complete intent when using sound. We know they use it for communication and guidance systems, they may well use it for fun too, like us. Dolphins seem to make a game out of everything. Music may well be just an amusing way to use sound and an exercise for the brain to keep it sharp. But, intent is important. Sound is not the same thing as music.

boy what I started :hihi:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Late comer with no desire to read 6 pages, so I'll just throw out my opinion without being certain that it's not just an echo of someone else's post.

In any 'invention' at its earliest state, aren't the two really the same thing? A caveman discovers that when he bangs 2 rocks together, he likes their sound. By instinct more than a conscious process, he starts banging a rhythm out. If he had consciously thought, "Hey... if I bang these together at regular intervals with increasing complexity, it'll be fun and people will like it" then it's an invention. However, more likely it was the result of instinct and just doing it 'because he could', which to me is more like a discovery.

However, language and words being what they are, I suggest that somebody could use the word "invention" to describe exactly what I describe as a "discovery", so I don't see a clear winner on either side. ;)

Greg

There's a vast history of music from around the world that doesn't rely on harmony whatsoever.
nuffink;

well, there's a vast history of (dreaded) *western* music that doesn't "rely on harmony whatsoever."

in fact, greek theoreticians that i'm speaking (aristoxenes, plato, later boethius) didn't deal with "chords" in their writings. in fact, i'd say greek music 500 yrs bc sounded about as "foreign" to current day western music as any music could, and yet, it's the foundation of the dreaded western music you speak of.

u see, an octave is an octave, whether its played by ravi shankar or john phillip sousa.

the only real difference between modes used in different cultures is the number of tones used to divide the octave, and the intervals in between those tones.

so, again, listen to nitin sawhney for yourself... hear how "Christian" music and "Hindu" music sit side by side so nicely...so.... harmonious... (dam western word...)

soultrane wrote:well, there's a vast history of (dreaded) *western* music .......
Dreaded? Really?
You dread western music?

I think... ummm... this guy called copernicus discovered it... and then he took it to america... and elvis presley was born. About that time the greeks started playing flutes, and some guy starting arguing with some other guy about modes and stuff - it was real fun, but then thin lizzy came and killed the horses. or at least, that is what I understand from reading all this *Headache*

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”