DPMP - Envelope Decay settings ?

Official support for: bluecataudio.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi Blue Cat,

I notice when I collect peaks at 0ms decay and transformed envelope (zero'd) that the transform envelope is smoother than the peak envelope. I assume that's because I changed peak decay to 0ms.

What is the decay of the transform envelope? I notice if I slow the peak envelope down to 100ms that it fits tighter with the transform envelope but I think the transform envelope is a touch slower than that even.

Is there a reason why the transform envelope is slower or are you going to add a control for it too? I'm kind of new to envelopes so there may be a good reason for the transform envelope to be smoother. Thanks!

On second thought...

If you are only able to write a node once a frame, Sonar4 has 30fps(?), so every 33ms or so a peak envelope or transform envelope node can be written. I guess it doesn't make much sense to have a decay time less that the frame rate?

I'm trying to get a pretty tight envelope wraped around the peaks of my wave form and it seems that 50ms decay with -5% offset does the trick visually in Sonar4 with the Transform Envelope - for this experiment at least where I'm looking at compression artifacts in the time domain view.

Transformed and normal envelope are both impacted by the decay, so they should go down the same way...

The transformed envelope only allows you to offset it (+-50%) and change it by the amount factor (in fact we have kind of: transformed= (Amount/100)*envelope + (offset/100) (considering transformed and envelope between 0 and 1, you can do the mapping yourself to -60;0).

The decay time is the decay of the filter (time to reach 10% of the maximum peak, which means max peak -20 dB). So if your frameRate is very large and your decay tim to small (typically under 10 ms), you might end up with strange things... (but it might be interresting though).

Be careful if you compare the envelope visually with Sonar's Waveform, because the shape scale does not corresponds to the Peak Meter's envelope scale. The best way to make a comparison is use two peak meters (one before and one after your compression tool).

A good typical envelope decay setting is 50 ms, and 100 ms might smooth it a bit better. It depends on the result you want to have, and also on your signal!

The best way is to experiment! :wink:

Hi Blue Cat !

Yes I'm experimenting my DSP off, and having a great time :lol:

I am trying to get a grip on the visual Sonar time -domain track scale and the envelopes put out by Peak Meter. I started by trying to guarantee each point was in it's proper dB position (to learn the tool and how it handles) - now I'm to the point where I'm more or les normalizing the envelope sizes relative to the job I need done. In other words I can move the entire envelope so that minimum or maximum nodes are within a range - it's more important to me to get the slope and sample rate of nodes to conform to the program material that what the absolute values are. I can change how steep the slopes are with the 'Amount' knob. I don't know if all that made any sense...

The bottom line is it's going well ! I'm working with a compressor now and characterizing the 'sweet' range of control on the knobs I want to sutomate using the Peak Meter envelope.

One thing that did concern me from another post was the final price of the Peak Meter Pro product - would would publish that please before I integrate this too much into my setup?

Thanks!

final price should be around 4000 euros :lol:

Just kidding! You'll see it in a few hours on our website together with a demo and the VST version! Anyway if you bought it already, you'll get next version for free.

bluecatonline wrote:final price should be around 4000 euros :lol:

Just kidding! You'll see it in a few hours on our website together with a demo and the VST version! Anyway if you bought it already, you'll get next version for free.
:lol:

Return to “Blue Cat Audio”