Upgrade time. But what to buy?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm thinking about the following upgrade:

Antec Sonata case
http://www.antec-inc.com/pro_details_en ... odID=15138

Asus P4P800-E Mobo
http://www.asus.com/products/mb/socket4 ... erview.htm

P4-800 3.0Ghz, DDR-400 Ram (1-G), Zalman CNPS7000-Cu,
and a Samsung SP0812C 80GB Serial ATA 7200rpm 8MB Hard Drive (I have reasons for not going bigger with the drive).

This is about a $650 order. I wanted to run it by you, to see if there is something else I should look at.

I'm also wondering what the best compromise for the processor is -- I want to do DAW stuff, and nothing else, so if there's a better (quieter) solution with a slightly lower-powered processor, I'm open to the idea.

What I'm using now is a Shuttle SN41G2, Athlon XP 1.25 Ghz, and it seems to be just a little shy of what I want to do with it. There also seem to be some annoying issues with disk access while generating audio, that might point to mobo compatability rather than processor speed. So I'm thinking about retiring it.

The Antec Sonata case looks pretty exciting, since there are precious few options for a totally silent solution. I picked the Asus mobo basically at random and because it does not appear to have a fan on the bridge chip, nor an onboard vga. I have had great experiences with Zalman, so I'm sure about that part.

The Samsung drives are supposed to be very, very quiet, also. I really wish for a completely silent, but very high powered PC to use as a musical instrument in the same room as mikes. I don't think this system will actually get me there, but it looks like the closest thing I could find, without getting into water cooling, or ramping down the power.

I'd consider a notebook PC, but I really want to use my PCI audio device (Delta 1010).

Like I said, this is strictly for synth and recording, I have other machines dedicated for work and games and tv and stuff.

Any advice would be welcomed. Thanks.[/list]

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”