MIDI to Sonar Connection

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

OK, I've got a great new DAW. I've installed SONAR 4 and all my soft synths, done the VST wrapper, and my soft synths seem to be working fine so far (Atmosphere, GPO, Reason, etc.)

PROBLEM: I'm not getting MIDI signals into SONAR. I have an Alesis QS 6.1 and an Edirol PCR-80 going into an Edirol UM-550 MIDI interface. I've installed (deleted and re-installed, several times) the current drivers for the interface. I've connected (and unconnected and re-connected, several times) the cables from the keyboards to the interface. I've checked the MIDI connections in SONAR (Alesis/interface and Edirol/interface).

But when I try to record MIDI from either keyboard, my MIDI indicator on the taskbar shows the flashing red signal on the right, but no signal on the left.

I believe that I'm committing a simple error somewhere, but I'm baffled.

Any and all advice, however basic it might seem, would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Onward through the fog.

Try setting your inputs on each MIDI track to omni,and make sure you have the output going to what you want to control(example-Atmpsphere on channel 1).Does it work now?
ew
A spectral heretic...

I won't be able to try it until this evening, but I believe I've tried that before. In any event, regardless of the output setting, shouldn't I be seeing MIDI data recorded?
Onward through the fog.

1. Check MIDI cables. The MIDI out from your midi device must be connevted to the midi in of the computer
2. Check Sonar devices. Tools -> midi devices and make sure the input devices are highlighted (blue)
3. Check options->global->midi and see if echo dxi inputs is ticked
4. Check options-?global-?general and see that always echo current midi track is ticked
5. Check midi track input set to either all inputs -?all or to the appropriate device
6. Now I'm running out of ideas.

I'll double-check all those ideas tonight, but I believe I've gone through them as well. But thanks.

I keep thinking there's a problem outside Sonar, such as improper USB connection. But Sonar is seeing the MIDI interface otherwise it wouldn't offer the MIDI ins and outs in the MIDI options, would it? (And I do have those ins/outs properly highlighted.)
Onward through the fog.

A couple of questions:

Have you used any version of Sonar before?

If you load in a pre-recorded midi file, does the midi output work okay?

And one suggestion:

To rule out hardware problems, try testing with a different sequencing program (e.g. something free to download, like Massiva).

One other observation: The Midi Activity Taskbar indicator in Sonar uses the left light to indicate input, right to indicate output. So your description sounds very strange... when you hit a midi key, the taskbar indicator is indicating output, but no input ...

lo3q, All good suggestions. I'll try them tonight. I agree about the activity indicators--very strange.

And I was using MIDI with Sonar 3 before now, and everything worked fine, so it's a real mystery.

I still think it's something really dumb that I'm overlooking.
Onward through the fog.

Dancer wrote:I'll double-check all those ideas tonight, but I believe I've gone through them as well. But thanks.

I keep thinking there's a problem outside Sonar, such as improper USB connection. But Sonar is seeing the MIDI interface otherwise it wouldn't offer the MIDI ins and outs in the MIDI options, would it? (And I do have those ins/outs properly highlighted.)
Not sure how the edirol works. I use the M4U midi terminal. It has a "through" button. If yours has something similar, make sure it is NOT depressed.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”