Any way to save MIDI CC to a VST?

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have spent hours trying to save MIDI controls to a given VST without success. Is there a way to do it without scripts and count limitation?
I use Repro-5, too, which is supposed to natively memorize midi learn controls. But, midi learn from inside the plug doesn't react to anything on a Bitwig instrument track.
Very disappointed by the complexity!

monolithx wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:46 am But, midi learn from inside the plug doesn't react to anything on a Bitwig instrument track.
What do you mean by that? A MIDI CC device on a Bitwig instrument track will be received by Repro 5 in MIDI learn mode. Or do you want bidirectional feedback? That's only possible with some older remote scripts and project MIDI mappings that are not saved with a VST.

monolithx wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:46 am I have spent hours trying to save MIDI controls to a given VST without success. Is there a way to do it without scripts and count limitation?
I use Repro-5, too, which is supposed to natively memorize midi learn controls. But, midi learn from inside the plug doesn't react to anything on a Bitwig instrument track.
Sounds like something very specific to Repro-5? So i guess you have to check the manual of Repro-5 or even ask u-he? I only know that when i use "midi learn" inside Omnisphere it seems to get saved, when saving the instrument preset into Bitwigs Browser.
I built a Looper for Bitwig! :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z5ywDo2bU0

Indeed, thanks, MIDI learn through a MIDI CC device seems to be memorized by Repro-5. Unfortunately, parameter values jump, which doesn't happen with Bitwig native VST parameters export. I will try to look in controller and Repro-5 settings.

This kind of behavior and bidirectional feedback missing support are another pieces proving that a true intuitive DAW for live still doesn't exist...

If 8 remote controllers per page are enough, you can use the remote controls of Bitwig, that are saved with every VST. You can get bidirectional feedback to them with a compatible controller (also possible via the DrivenByMoss scripts).

If you want more than 8 simultaneous external CC controls, you can use this old but working script called TomsMultiBiController:
https://github.com/Knochenschall/Toms_Bitwig_Scripts

You have to set up your controller with this script and then map some CCs to the Bitwig VST list of automation controls — the mapping in the VST is not used.

I hope there will be an easier bidirectional implementation for more than 8 simultaneous controls someday. At the moment, you can only save more CCs on the project level.

Return to “Bitwig”