5.2 GUI Hardware acceleration.

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi, new graphics engine is great long awaited feature. But for some reason I can't see any noticable difference with new GUI engine.
FPS drops to 28-30 during scroll and zoom. It feels a bit better than before but its not as smooth as i hoped - stable 60 FPS.

Anyone else have the same problem?

My GPU is RTX3080
Last edited by Enrize on Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

4070ti here running @4k on Win11 and fps is smooth over here. Knobs and sliders are blatantly smoother and responsive. Turning on continuous scroll while super zoomed in is smooth (not that I would ever use this option IRL like this, but it's a good test for this sort of stuff.)

Are your drivers up to date? The Nvidia 54x drivers were an absolute shit show for many systems, shamefully so, but it got sorted in the newer 55x drivers.
"music is the best"

Funk Dracula wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:26 pm 4070ti here running @4k on Win11 and fps is smooth over here. Knobs and sliders are blatantly smoother and responsive. Turning on continuous scroll while super zoomed in is smooth (not that I would ever use this option IRL like this, but it's a good test for this sort of stuff.)

Are your drivers up to date? The Nvidia 54x drivers were an absolute shit show for many systems, shamefully so, but it got sorted in the newer 55x drivers.
Yes i have the latest drivers. Are you on 4k display? All the GUI problems has always been with 4K resolution.

Enrize wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:34 pm Yes i have the latest drivers. Are you on 4k display? All the GUI problems has always been with 4K resolution.
Yeah 4k display and it runs great graphically. I don't have Geforce experience or anything like that installed so I'm not measuring the fps, but it's blatantly refreshing/running so much smoother compared to 5.1.8. I'm not a huge "gamer" or anything but I can definitely feel when FPS is low or fluctuating, it's not rocket science to observe this stuff.

Sorry I don't think I can offer any more help. I do think I recall somebody else with a 30 series card experiencing some issues on the BItwig Discord. And I definitely think AMD users are experiencing issues. Seems like there is going to be some stuff to iron out on Bitwig's end.

Thankfully for once I won the "my system is fine" lottery. Just because my system is fine doesn't mean I don't acknowledge other's having issues on theirs tho. It's a beta, contact them with the feedback, they need to hear this stuff.
"music is the best"

Yeah I'm having the same problem - there's no noticeable improvement in GUI performance. It's still pretty unusable on a 5K iMac screen (Radeon Pro 580 8 GB GPU). The issue seems to be most problematic in the mixer view.

I reached out to support and they told me it's because the CPU load on the project was so high that it was creating some kind of bottleneck (the Chee demo project was used to test - below 50% CPU).

I don't have any of these issues with other hardware accelerated programs or plugins and I can't see how moderate CPU usage would have such a crippling effect on the GUI. The GPU activity is at most 10-15% load.

So are they actually lying and there still is a lot / too much cpu involved? What is the improvement for an arm mac system?What's your impression?

Hanz Meyzer wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:02 am So are they actually lying and there still is a lot / too much cpu involved? What is the improvement for an arm mac system?What's your impression?
I didn't see much difference. (M2 pro).

phantomverse wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:55 am I reached out to support and they told me it's because the CPU load on the project was so high that it was creating some kind of bottleneck (the Chee demo project was used to test - below 50% CPU).
maybe they meant the load on a specific track? The cpu load can be low while at the same time a specific track can max out a single core and overload the system.

on m2 pro i see a big difference on how the UI is rendered. Its sharper and faster
no one knows actually how much the UI was consuming anyway so its a bit silly to say you see now difference in CPU usage lol

Hm!? I'm using a NVIDIA RTX 3050
According to Windows 10 "taskmanager" none of the bitwig processes is using my GPU.
taskmanager has two columns related to GPU on the process tab, i.e. GPU (usage in percent) and GPU-Module.
Percentag is always 0%. Module is always empty. What does that mean?
Then looking into the NVIDIA Tray Icon, it tells me that bitwig is executed on the GPU ...
I'm puzzled. Do I have to flip a switch or sth?
And from a gut feeling perspective it does not look better or less sluggish!? I'm puzzled.

I use a lousy gt 1030 and there is almost no activity either.
But since it's my only video card and therefore it has to do something, i guess it's too low to move the needle.
Using windows or a browser has almost no effect either. That's just 2D.
but messing with bitwig does increase the gpu use for the windows desktop manager up to 8%

tlkmx wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:30 pm on m2 pro i see a big difference on how the UI is rendered. Its sharper and faster
no one knows actually how much the UI was consuming anyway so its a bit silly to say you see now difference in CPU usage lol
Read the full post to understand lol

So most mac users aren't seeing any imporvement here, still a lagging a lot and low fps, and some others claim they see more speed.

But you really should give us more details first, what resolution are you using, one or more screens, which macos version, which hardware (cpu/gpu)?

I cannot confirm that Bitwig doesn't use GPU in the taskmanager! The Beta 5.2 Beta1 does use GPU. And also, it works fine to allocate the dedicated nvidia 3060 chip to it. (I have a Dell xps Laptop with Windows 11 and nvidias driver offers the option to force the usage of the nvidia chip rather than the onboard chip.)

I cannot confirm any improvements concerning CPU usage though.

The DSP Usage seems to be 50ms HIGHER in the Beta1 for me. I will try to find out why.
I built a Looper for Bitwig! :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z5ywDo2bU0

nowiamone wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:16 pm I cannot confirm that Bitwig doesn't use GPU in the taskmanager! The Beta 5.2 Beta1 does use GPU. And also, it works fine to allocate the dedicated nvidia 3060 chip to it. (I have a Dell xps Laptop with Windows 11 and nvidias driver offers the option to force the usage of the nvidia chip rather than the onboard chip.)

I cannot confirm any improvements concerning CPU usage though.

The DSP Usage seems to be 50ms HIGHER in the Beta1 for me. I will try to find out why.
Thanks for your feedback. It made me look little bit closer.

On my desktop with windows 10 it still does not show anything in task manager even after cleaning and re-installing the NVIDIA drivers/software. I will look closer into this tomorrow.

On my laptop with windows 11, it shows values. Actually it initially showed GPU-0 as "Modul" which is the slow onboard GPU. So I went into the windows settings and configured bitwig to use GPU-1 which is the faster option. Unfortunaltely one has to configure this setting manually for each dedicated Application. That means for every new version I have to go to the settings again, navigate to the specific Bitwig executable in Explorer and configure it to use GPU-1 ... Or is there anything I'm missing?
BTW: The taskmanager shows about 18% usage on a very simple "play around" project on the GTX1060 of my MSI laptop.

Return to “Bitwig”