Gershwin Prize for Elton John & Bernie Taupin

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Elton and Bernie are the 2024 recipients of the Gershwin Prize for Popular Song. The concert was broadcast on PBS this week and I watched the first half of it last night. Really great show. My observations (so far):
  • Annie Lennox totally killed it, opening with Border Song. I was really impressed. Brandi Carlisle's Madman Across The Water was similarly excellent, and Jacob Lusk's Bennie and the Jets was fabulously entertaining.
  • It seemed like they alternated between really exceptional and "just OK" performances. For example Garth Brooks' Sorry Seems to be the Hardest Word was very earnest and kinda boring.
  • Having Davey Johnstone and Nigel Olsson, Elton's long-time partners, as the foundation of the band certainly didn't hurt. Davey sounded great and looked to be having a wonderful time. Nigel was pretty much in the background, solidly doing what he's always done so well.
  • It seemed the audience was mostly old, white politicos (not really a surprise, I guess).
  • The audience were on their feet for rockers like The Bitch is Back, but then were seated and quiet when Metallica took the stage to perform Funeral For A Friend / Love Lies Bleeding. Mostly they looked uncomfortable. Elton, OTOH, was loving it.
  • The direction and camera work for Metallica were often, IMO, focused in the wrong places. During the fast guitar arpeggios in Love Lies Bleeding, the camera was anywhere but on the lead guitarist.
  • Sadly, it seems like Elton these days has "resting frowny face".
Looking forward to the second part.
You can twist perceptions, reality won't budge.
-- Rush Show Don't Tell

You must get sad when you start getting Lifetime Achievement awards. I just went on an Astaire/Rogers movie tear that had some of the best Gershwin music ever.

osiris wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:22 pm You must get sad when you start getting Lifetime Achievement awards.
Maybe. Bernie seemed to be grinning the entire time.
-- Rush Show Don't Tell

Bernie didn't have many opportunities to have stadiums full of fans roaring their adoration at him either. Both well deserved.

i'm going to check that out...
when/if that becomes available at the public library

it makes me wonder if elton john has the ability to rewrite...
or make new melodies/music to other famous songs written by
other lyricists

why did he only work with bernie taupin?
if i had elton john's musical talent...
i would have worked with lotsa people

maybe he did, i'm not sure
ah böwakawa poussé poussé

harryupbabble wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:29 pm it makes me wonder if elton john has the ability to rewrite...
or make new melodies/music to other famous songs written by
other lyricists
Absolutely he could have. There are interview shows with Elton ("Inside the Actor's Studio" comes to mind) where he creates a song in real time from a passage in a book that an audience member provided. So I'm pretty sure he could write a new melody to existing lyrics, although the challenge of not just repeating the original is always there.
why did he only work with bernie taupin?
if i had elton john's musical talent...
i would have worked with lotsa people
They were, quite literally, pretty much thrown together to work as a songwriting team, first for others and then for Elton. In later years Elton did work with a number of other lyricists and songwriters. I don't think Bernie was involved in any of the musicals Elton scored, for example (Tim Rice wrote the lyrics for The Lion King). But it was a "pure play" of the two of them for a long time. The Wikipedia article on Elton identifies 1978's A Single Man, lyrics by Gary Osborne, as the first album without Taupin's lyrics.
-- Rush Show Don't Tell

in this video, bernie taupin changed the words to...
david bowie's "a space oddity" and gave it to elton

https://youtu.be/g6hNVizTDWA?si=QcN4R9il0X3sKRMD
ah böwakawa poussé poussé

What i'd like to know: was he using only zillion dollar equip?
I'd like to see it, where is it?
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

It was broadcast on PBS. Looks like you can stream it here: https://www.pbs.org/video/elton-john-an ... -gershwin/
-- Rush Show Don't Tell

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”