Roland cloud Juno 106

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Is roland cloud juno 106 lifetime key worrh it? The only thing im worried about is the roland cloud manager app itself

If you don't mind iLok then I'd forget all that subscription nonsense (even lifetime means logging into you cloud account) and go buy Softube's Model 84 (currently on sale too):

https://www.softube.com/model-84-polyphonic-synthesizer

Plus Softube’s sounds better (like closer to the og) IMHO. Plus looks better too. Doesn’t look as good as TAL (I know that’s 60 not 106, but the aesthetics), but better than the Roland. TAL looks best, Softube sounds best. Plus it goes for dirt cheap sometimes

Mr Arkadin wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:16 am If you don't mind iLok then I'd forget all that subscription nonsense (even lifetime means logging into you cloud account) and go buy Softube's Model 84 (currently on sale too):

https://www.softube.com/model-84-polyphonic-synthesizer
Yep, I bought that one and it sounds great.

I agreed. The Softube Model 84 sound way better than the Roland.

When I bought Model 84 they had a great discount available, so it was only $38.

Kabesgrandi wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:39 am Is roland cloud juno 106 lifetime key worrh it? The only thing im worried about is the roland cloud manager app itself
Yes

The roland one is good but softube is better. And cheaper.

thanks guys!

I have the Arturia one, how does it compare to the others?

I've had several vintage Juno 106s and have played the 6 and 60. Just a reminder as has been mentioned, the 6, 60 sound much closer to each other and are a little more grainy sounding. The 106 has a softer/hazier sound and is able to pump a little more bass due to the change in the HPF between versions. That said, here is how I'd rank them.

Arturia JUN 6 (Juno 6): good sounding, nice plugin interface w/ extra features. Has that grainier sound. Best FX section if you need it. Best preset system.

TAL U-NO-LX: good sounding, smoother than the Arturia (perhaps the Arturia is a little more like the hardware though for the 6/60?...been awhile since I played a 6/60). Sounds tighter and is great for 80s type music/Synthwave. Preset system not as good.

Roland Cloud Juno 106: again, good sounding, but not super accurate to my originals. Like the Arturia, it adds an extra envelope which is really useful. Had a hard time making it match my 106 (which was in good shape and I personally calibrated it). v2 RC plugins now have a better preset system, but it the RC experience is still pretty bad.

Cherry Audio DCO-106: imho, junk in terms of accuracy. Wasn't worth my time.

IK Multimedia Syntronik: is capable of some really nice sounds and can do some stereo oscillator stuff the original can't. Pain in the ass hybrid though with sampled oscillators and loosely modeled other stuff. Not good if you like to program. Excels at pad sounds.

Softube Model 84: fantastic sounding...the best of the bunch. Models the 106 and was very, very close to my original. Could easily recreate my patches. Ok, preset system. Bummer they didn't add an optional extra Envelope like RC and Arturia. Actually, I really hate they did that. But, the sound quality is sooo good. btw, the presets that come with it (other than factory originals) are complete trash. Thin, nasty EDM crap. Make your own on this one. Their other synths are really good as well, especially the SH-101 (Model 82). Plus, you can use the components (filters, VCAs, envelopes, LFOs, etc.) in Softube Modular.

Thanks... I have owned none in hardware but played all in hardware, but its been awhile.
I am yet to hear an Arturia emulation that I think impresses me and I am old enough to have started my musical life at least a decade before Analog no longer became a thing.

I don't like any of the Roland Cloud Analog Synth (not drums) emulations either, and for sure much prefer the Tal ones than both Arturia and Roland Cloud.
But I agree with you about the softube one... they just have some magic sauce in their model series.

rsp
sound sculptist

I'm surprised Roland's own emulation isn't the most accurate - why would this be?
You'd think since it's their product that's being emulated, they would provide the most accurate recreation. Weird.

I really like TAL's U-NO-LX, but I like TAL's stuff in general so am a little bias.

idk why but Arturia's stuff feels sluggish to use imo.

Well Roland may have great engineers for Hardware but may not have the best Software engineers..or DSP software engineers...
rsp
sound sculptist

I have a feeling Roland is just being too pedantic. I suspect they modeled a "perfect" 106, meaning they put all the components modeled at ideal values, keeping all drifting and other oddities at a minimal and possibly unrealistic level. Whereas Softube's people are known to really value critical listening and actually going for "a sound" instead of just looking at numbers.

It's also why they are so annoying and not really adding any extras to most of their plugins. While they do make very good analogue emulations, it's one of their weaknesses as a company. They simply refuse to go the extra mile with things.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

Return to “Instruments”