Tracktion Waveform 13

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

syntonica wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:24 pm Usually, the cutoff is not an artificial one, but the program relies on new features or frameworks added to the newer operating system. This is extremely common on the Mac. On PC, the installer may be the gatekeeper; if you can get the software installed, it may run, just not be officially supported.

Regarding deleting the software, if you do it manually, there will most assuredly be crumbs left in the registry. If there is an uninstaller, there may still be the main folder to delete manually and there may be those crumbs remaining--it depends on the uninstaller. Welcome to Windows. :)
Thank you. I have gone through the registry and removed those "crumbs", however Tracktion7/Waveform10 and Waveform12 still show under apps and trying to uninstall them a second time (which usually brings up a Windows dialogue that they're no longer there and asking if it should remove that entry also). I'm thinking there's a string somewhere under ProgramData or hidden in the users apps I haven't been able to find so far.

chk071 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:30 pm
BBFG# wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:27 pm
chk071 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:10 pm
BBFG# wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:07 pm I can agree with that, but that's not my point. I ask specifically about the current trend of companies actively killing those older installations.
Examples for that, and evidence that developers actively "kill" these older installations?
I already presented that.
No, you didn't.
You obviously want to go down some path that really has nothing to do with what I'm actually asking. Move on or keep up.

Ok, but, maybe next time check what you're saying, so that you don't claim things which simply aren't true.

I know, happens every second here. ;)

BBFG# wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:34 pm
syntonica wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:24 pm Usually, the cutoff is not an artificial one, but the program relies on new features or frameworks added to the newer operating system. This is extremely common on the Mac. On PC, the installer may be the gatekeeper; if you can get the software installed, it may run, just not be officially supported.

Regarding deleting the software, if you do it manually, there will most assuredly be crumbs left in the registry. If there is an uninstaller, there may still be the main folder to delete manually and there may be those crumbs remaining--it depends on the uninstaller. Welcome to Windows. :)
Thank you. I have gone through the registry and removed those "crumbs", however Tracktion7/Waveform10 and Waveform12 still show under apps and trying to uninstall them a second time (which usually brings up a Windows dialogue that they're no longer there and asking if it should remove that entry also). I'm thinking there's a string somewhere under ProgramData or hidden in the users apps I haven't been able to find so far.
Have you removed C:\Users\(your computer name)\AppData\Roaming\Tracktion?

deleted
Music had a one night stand with sound design.....And the condom broke

BBFG# wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:34 pm

Some uninstallers fail very annoyingly if they cannot find some part of what needs to be removed and quit rather than moving on down the target list.

In the registry, search on Tracktion, Waveform, Mackie, etc., or any other term reheated. Most things are in the registry at least twice and can self-repair if you don't remove all at once. Be careful that anything you remove is properly related and NOT a driver, plugin, etc.

If all else fails, reinstall, then run the uninstaller. I've had to do that a couple of times myself. :(
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

Registered on their site. Installed the demo. Uninstalled 5 minutes later and deleted the account. I am happy with Ableton. Just more my kind of thing. YMMV.

BrokenTrance wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:17 pm Registered on their site. Installed the demo. Uninstalled 5 minutes later and deleted the account. I am happy with Ableton. Just more my kind of thing. YMMV.
I really tried to figure out how to solo individual tracks in a submix but could not no matter what I did. I dug into the manual, searched Google, and even enquired about the issue on this thread but found no help. A basic task like that should not be that hard for someone like me who's been making music and using DAWs for as long as I can remember. I'll keep at it another day or so before uninstalling the demo and go back to using Nuendo 13 and Reaper 7 as my goto DAWs.
Mac Studio M1 Max 10-core CPU, 32-core GPU, 64GB RAM, 4TB SSD | Logic Pro 10.7.5 | Cubase Pro 12 | Nuendo 12 | Studio One 6 | Seagate 8TB external HDD | Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 2nd Gen | Akai MPK261 | Akai MPC X

summer2000 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:49 pm
BrokenTrance wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:17 pm Registered on their site. Installed the demo. Uninstalled 5 minutes later and deleted the account. I am happy with Ableton. Just more my kind of thing. YMMV.
I really tried to figure out how to solo individual tracks in a submix but could not no matter what I did. I dug into the manual, searched Google, and even enquired about the issue on this thread but found no help. A basic task like that should not be that hard for someone like me who's been making music and using DAWs for as long as I can remember. I'll keep at it another day or so before uninstalling the demo and go back to using Nuendo 13 and Reaper 7 as my goto DAWs.
I think maybe the solos/mutes are not working because multi-output wrapper is deigned to work in situations where there is midi driving each of the tracks. In the case of drums where you have one midi clip with all the drums this falls down, I just managed to get the mutes/solos working if i duplicated the midi clip across each track, clearly not an ideal solution. If the drum plug itself creates the midi intrnally the solos/mutes will work fine, it's just if the drums are driven by a midi clip. I don't know if there is a simple solution I'm not seeing.
'He craved immortality so much, he was prepared to die for it.'

operandx wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:19 pm
I think maybe the solos/mutes are not working because multi-output wrapper is deigned to work in situations where there is midi driving each of the tracks. In the case of drums where you have one midi clip with all the drums this falls down, I just managed to get the mutes/solos working if i duplicated the midi clip across each track, clearly not an ideal solution. If the drum plug itself creates the midi intrnally the solos/mutes will work fine, it's just if the drums are driven by a midi clip. I don't know if there is a simple solution I'm not seeing.
Definitely not an ideal solution to have to manually copy and paste the MIDI clip to all the output tracks in order to solo them. In my opinion this is a very unintuitive way to send out your individual drum tracks to other busses, ie. kick and snare to their own bus, same for hi hats, etc. I looked up this issue on the Tracktion forum and found out that this broken implementation has been like that since 2018 (if not before). You would think by now the devs would have had enough time to come up with a solution similar to Studio One, Reaper, and Ableton Live amongst other DAWs where submix tracks work as expected.
Mac Studio M1 Max 10-core CPU, 32-core GPU, 64GB RAM, 4TB SSD | Logic Pro 10.7.5 | Cubase Pro 12 | Nuendo 12 | Studio One 6 | Seagate 8TB external HDD | Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 2nd Gen | Akai MPK261 | Akai MPC X

FWIW...
I only just noticed, that the "Upgrade" to W13 Pro has also included their Biotek instrument ... it was always interesting in principle, but not something I was going to spend a lot of money on when I have Pigments, Omnisphere, Falcon, and lots of others.
But ... maybe I will find new ideas ...

summer2000 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:38 pm
Definitely not an ideal solution to have to manually copy and paste the MIDI clip to all the output tracks in order to solo them. In my opinion this is a very unintuitive way to send out your individual drum tracks to other busses, ie. kick and snare to their own bus, same for hi hats, etc. I looked up this issue on the Tracktion forum and found out that this broken implementation has been like that since 2018 (if not before). You would think by now the devs would have had enough time to come up with a solution similar to Studio One, Reaper, and Ableton Live amongst other DAWs where submix tracks work as expected.
OK Try this:

Place the midi on a track. Set the solo/mute to Solo isolate. Set the track outut to route to the first track with the drum vst wrapper. Solo/mute should now work on the tracks with the wrapper on. I just tried this with a Multi-out drum vst and it worked like a charm.
'He craved immortality so much, he was prepared to die for it.'

operandx wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:03 pm
summer2000 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:38 pm
OK Try this:

Place the midi on a track. Set the solo/mute to Solo isolate. Set the track outut to route to the first track with the drum vst wrapper. Solo/mute should now work on the tracks with the wrapper on. I just tried this with a Multi-out drum vst and it worked like a charm.
Oh wow, I just tried it and it really works. :tu: :clap: I can now send individual drum tracks to their own mix busses and solo as expected. By busses, I ended up sending the output of the drum vst channels to audio tracks which I'm substituting for mix busses. I do the same thing in Ableton Live and Bitwig. For now, I'm not really feeling how "submix" track is currently implemented in Waveform. Although I can see how it can be useful for simple mix routing situations. Anyway, nice find. Thanks for letting me know. Definitely good info for anyone else who may have ran into a similar roadblock.

I'm going to put the trial to its paces to see if it gells with my workflow. So far, I really like the GUI layout, being able to resize it as well as the fonts, and the tagging option for tracks visibility. That last one alone is one of the biggest gripe I have with Cubase/Nuendo and Studio One. I usually work with 100+ tracks in some of my complex sessions and it is nice to be able to easily filter out certain tracks that I do not want to see while tracking and mixing.

Does any know how long the current sale to purchase a new license for Waveform 13 will last? Currently I can get a license through JRRshop for $100.30 using "group" as a discount code. Anyone seen it cheaper elsewhere? Also does Tracktion offer any crossgrade discounts?

TobyB wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:18 pm FWIW...
I only just noticed, that the "Upgrade" to W13 Pro has also included their Biotek instrument ...
Ahhh that explains why the download manager offered to install Biotek 2 this morning. I've had an older version for quite some time and had forgotten all about it.

Spent some time with Biotek 2 today and it's a very nice instrument that has its own character. I'd say well suited for more ambient or avant-garde duties.

Might not be one of my most used synths but I will definitely enjoy having it in my collection. :tu:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

summer2000 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:11 pm Does any know how long the current sale to purchase a new license for Waveform 13 will last? Currently I can get a license through JRRshop for $100.30 using "group" as a discount code. Anyone seen it cheaper elsewhere? Also does Tracktion offer any crossgrade discounts?
I believe the sale goes to April 8th. JRR isn't offering a better deal than Tracktion, at the moment--if you have any Tracktion cash saved up from prior purchases. It's the same deal either way, but going through Tracktion could be faster for you since you're activating right on the official site.

Tracktion doesn't offer crossgrades, but contacting them could prove me wrong. They've done some nice favors for me in the past.
Spotify, Apple Music, YouTube, and even Deezer, whatever the hell Deezer is.

More fun at Twitter @watchfulactual

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”