I Wanna Go Home

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I wrestled and wrestled with this one, but I just feel like I never got it where I wanted it, but eh... this is what I got.

https://youtu.be/ggc0Wnx5P78?si=WEVytwDRA-Hxtm7g

I like this very much. The transition at :40 was unexpected and really nice. I like how it develops with the subtle introduction of new sounds. The bass line comes in at just the right time. The muted trumpet at the end was a great way to end. I understand how you feel about always wanting to make it better. Can you describe your workflow a little?

Paulieworld wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:57 pm I like this very much. The transition at :40 was unexpected and really nice. I like how it develops with the subtle introduction of new sounds. The bass line comes in at just the right time. The muted trumpet at the end was a great way to end. I understand how you feel about always wanting to make it better. Can you describe your workflow a little?
Firstly, thank you for your kind words.

My workflow is, well, it's probably unorthodox to say the least. Due my budget (of $0), I use an old Roland VS-880EX hardware station to record all of my acoustic tracks, then bring those over to my PC and work with them and outside performances using Waveform. Technically, I could probably afford a decent audio interface, but my PC is loud, and it's in my bedroom, so using my kid's old room is a lot more reasonable.

Thing is, over the past year, I feel I'm making progress with respect to negotiating space within song -- song, compression, EQ, etc. -- and getting levels where I want them. But some songs are just harder for me to negotiate with. :D

It also has been a long row to hoe with respect to making my acoustics sound decent in Waveform. I use an SM58 to record everything, and I initially wasn't getting enough gain input to get a fairly noiseless track. So, after peeling away the major hisses and hums of an acoustic track using Bertom Denoiser, I'd often be left with some pretty poorly sounding acoustic guitars. I've since rectified most of that, so hopefully going forward the songs will be more consistent. This one is probably the last of the old batch.

Return to “Music Cafe”